Pop Quiz Hot Shots (Electronic component identification)

glhs837

Power with Control
So its the one with KG on it in the second pic. These are inside the two Chinese motorcyle Nav units I have. One went bad 45 minutes into my first ride, owiered by the same USB charger that my phone was on at the same time and that I've had for more than two years. The company wanted me to pay $45 bucks to ship the first one back, after which they said screw that and just sent me the second. After it failed after 45 minutes total power on time (three 15 minutes rides) they said I should mail both back but wante to fill out a customs form naming then as empty plastic cases.. Scerw that.

Bad bit 1.jpg

Bad Bit 2.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
So, I find this one after some digging. Matches about 6 or eight of them on the chart, all having about the same specs. Marking and numbers of lines the same.although the marking runs in a different direction....... Look like the right thing? And I know, I'll hold nobody responsible, this is all play at this point, I've written these things and $250 off.

Hmm, tried inserting an Amazon link but it keeps calling it media, even when I use the insert link function... So that was weird. No Amazon product link works....... Amazon.com did though.

But here's what I have. KG is unidirectional, that spec says the below. I have to buy ten but they are cheap.

SMA6J6.0A
Micro Commercial Components
DO-214AC
Transient voltage supressor
Vbr=6.67..7.37V, Vrwm=6.0V, Ipp=58.3A, 600W(1ms)

Add this and my work station with magnifier and I'll be in business.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
So, I find this one after some digging. Matches about 6 or eight of them on the chart, all having about the same specs. Marking and numbers of lines the same.although the marking runs in a different direction....... Look like the right thing? And I know, I'll hold nobody responsible, this is all play at this point, I've written these things and $250 off.

Hmm, tried inserting an Amazon link but it keeps calling it media, even when I use the insert link function... So that was weird. No Amazon product link works....... Amazon.com did though.

But here's what I have. KG is unidirectional, that spec says the below. I have to buy ten but they are cheap.

SMA6J6.0A
Micro Commercial Components
DO-214AC
Transient voltage supressor
Vbr=6.67..7.37V, Vrwm=6.0V, Ipp=58.3A, 600W(1ms)

Add this and my work station with magnifier and I'll be in business.

Maybe @KingFish can help you out. He's done some rework for me.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
A nice magnifier is still on my Christmas list. Would love to get a mantas stereo microscope but cannot justify the cost. Had one a long time ago on my electronics bench when I designed and populated circuit boards.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
A nice magnifier is still on my Christmas list. Would love to get a mantas stereo microscope but cannot justify the cost. Had one a long time ago on my electronics bench when I designed and populated circuit boards.
I finally bought myself an inspection scope and will see how that works on future soldering of boards. It is no way near the quality as a mantas but should work out okay (hopefully).

Clem72

Sounds like you may already have it sorted, but I would say if you popped the same diode twice you might need to try a different 5v source. Just because it doesn't fry your phone doesn't mean it's not at fault.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Not

Not yet. That projects been sitting behind other stuff. Once I get around to it I'll do a direct wired connection to the bike.
I have that issue as well. TOO Many Projects. Costs a lot in money and time and on the to do list.

OccamsRazor

Not

Not yet. That projects been sitting behind other stuff. Once I get around to it I'll do a direct wired connection to the bike.
Simple diode check with a multimeter will do the trick. I would be apprehensive about connecting anything until you find out what is causing that diode to fail.

glhs837

Power with Control
Simple diode check with a multimeter will do the trick. I would be apprehensive about connecting anything until you find out what is causing that diode to fail.

I agree. If they had popped upon installation, that would make it easy. But they both failed with about 45 minutes of powered on time. On continuous, the other in 15 minute increments.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I agree. If they had popped upon installation, that would make it easy. But they both failed with about 45 minutes of powered on time. On continuous, the other in 15 minute increments.
Check if you have any AC component on your 5VDC line, you may have a bad diode in the bridge or an open capacitor.