Predict the Skins record...

BuddyLee

Football addict
Redskins' start no fluke, and expect it to continue

Give Jim Zorn and the Washington Redskins coaching staff and players credit for coming back from a disappointing opening day loss to the New York Giants. There are a number of factors that have led to this three-game winning streak they're on.

One is they are talented and well-coached. When I finished my tour of teams this year, I felt the fourth-best team in the East would be the favorite in any of the other NFC divisions. That's how strong the East is. I thought Washington, with a new head coach and a new system being taught to a young quarterback, would have the toughest time competing there. But that did not mean they were not talented.

When I talked to Jim Zorn after the opening loss to the Giants, he was very calm and analytical. He talked about the defense and the second-half adjustments they made to stop the Giants, and they all were logical moves. As a result, after halftime, you saw less production from Plaxico Burress and Brandon Jacobs. On offense, he talked about having patience with Jason Campbell but being confident he would improve in his decision making, which he actually did in the second half against the Giants.

The improvement is not holding the ball when his first receiver is covered and thus going quickly to his second receiver and then, as an opposing coach pointed out to me, looking to run the ball to keep the play alive. In Sunday's game, even when he began to run, he still looked to throw the ball. That makes him dangerous to defenses, because once he runs, they have to either commit to stop him or stay back and react slowly to his run rather then give up a big pass play.

I cannot remember a quarterback who has faced the same learning challenges that Jason Campbell has in his career. He has had seven offensive coordinators in eight years. When you consider that, his start to the season is remarkable. The offense he is in can take a couple of years to become comfortable, quarterbacks who have been in the system have told me.

What I have liked about Campbell has been his work ethic. People at the Redskins have told me he is one of the hardest workers on the team, and the players respect him for that. I also have liked his poise. I have seen him make a mistake and not be flustered by it. I do not think his success this year in the fourth quarter is an accident because of the poise and toughness he has shown in the past.

Besides Campbell's improvement, the other reason to applaud the job Zorn has done and the adjustments he has made is his use of personnel. I have seen a decided effort to get the ball into the hands of his playmakers, most notably Santana Moss and Clinton Portis, and sometimes Chris Cooley. One of the great things Joe Gibbs did when I worked with him during his first tenure with the Redskins was using his personnel to the best of their ability and getting them the ball as often as he could. He would not let you take away his best players.

Since the first game, the Redskins have done a great job of getting the ball to Moss and trying to get him involved early. I have found wide receivers usually have their best games when that happens. Sunday against the Cowboys, I thought the Redskins had a chance to win because I thought the area where the Cowboys were vulnerable was pass defense, and with his quickness, Moss is a tough guy to cover.

The other main player Zorn has featured more since the first game is Portis. Portis has had some issues in the past and already this year with comments to the press, but I will say this about him on the field: He will rise to the occasion when challenged and is a very competitive running back with or without the ball. Week in and week out, there are not many backs who play as hard. He is a talented runner who, when called upon to carry the load, can do it.

So what Jim Zorn told me in a calm and confident voice after the loss to the Giants has come true. He said Jason Campbell would improve, and he told me where to look for the improvement: quicker decision making. And he said he would get his playmakers more involved in the offense.

The Redskins are going to be in this all the way. They face the Eagles on the road Sunday, but after that, all of their division games are home. And of their other eight remaining games, six come against teams that currently have a losing record.
Redskins' start no fluke, and expect it to continue - NFL - CBSSports.com Live Scores, Standings and Stats

Some Skins fans are thinking a deep playoff run after last weeks win but things change very quickly week to week, as the Cowboys know.

The tough part of our schedule is almost done. If...IF the Skins somehow beat the Eagles at home then they could go on a roll.

Other than the bolded aforementioned, after the Eagles game, four of the next five are at home.

So, the remaining schedule...

Home vs. Rams
Home vs. Brownies
Away vs. Lions
Home vs. Pittsburgh (Monday night)

BYE (Good time to have a bye between these two spectacular games)

Home vs. Dallas (Sunday night)
Away vs. Seahawks
Home vs. Giants
Away vs. Ravens
Away vs. Bengals
Home vs. Eagles
Away vs. 49ers

We've already lost to the G-men so that's one. I think we lose to the Eagles this week, that's two.

I say a conservative 10-6 with loses to Dallas at home, Eagles at home, Seahawks away, and Ravens away.

...We've already lost to the G-men so that's one. I think we lose to the Eagles this week, that's two.

I say a conservative 10-6 with loses to Dallas at home, Eagles at home, Seahawks away, and Ravens away.

I do not think that is going to happen, they are on a high right now and they might finally be believing in themselves. I still say 11-5. :buddies:

BuddyLee

Football addict
I do not think that is going to happen, they are on a high right now and they might finally be believing in themselves. I still say 11-5. :buddies:
We'll see. Philly is a tough sum'##### to play in.

I think Philly's D is better than the Dallas D.

OldHillcrestGuy

I think BuddyLee has it about right, 10-6, lets not start counting our chickens before they hatch or whatever the da&m saying is. A couple of injuries to some key players (Portis, Moss and a couple of DB's, and even Campbell, although Collins filled in great last year) and things could change in a hurry.:buddies:

Last edited:

Dondi

Dondi
If they can stay healthy and play with consistency as they have for the last couple of games, I'll give them 10-6, and second wild card.

Last edited: