President Welcomed With "Thunderous Applause"

This_person

No, the President is not Catholic. He is Christian. Anyone who makes the claim that he is Muslim, does nothing more than amplify their own bigotry for one and shows that they have learned nothing from our past history. It wasn't so long ago that "Gasp" a dirty old Catholic was elected President. :cds: He didn't last long in office, assassinated before his first term was done.Obviously the lesson has been lost on many.
The lesson to be learned had anything to do with Kennedy's religion? :confused:
Besides, it should NOT make a difference whether one is Christian, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Mormon, Hindu, Buddhist or Atheist whether one gets a job in this country, be it Wal-Mart to President.:bonk:
Agree for president, disagree for Wal-Mart.

Each employer should be allowed to pick and choose anyone they want to hire (or not hire) based on any reason they choose. Don't like white people - don't hire 'em! However, for a government job, that would be discriminatory, and therefore wrong.

SamSpade

Does anyone see the irony in that the most oft-quoted phrase from the new Star Wars trilogy uses this very turn of the phrase, in the only significant other usage on the Internet?

"So this is how liberty dies: With thunderous applause." Padme Amidala muses, as the people cheer the ascendance of Chancellor Palpatine, who would later become the tyrannical emperor we see in the older movies.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
No, the President is not Catholic. He is Christian. Anyone who makes the claim that he is Muslim, does nothing more than amplify their own bigotry for one and shows that they have learned nothing from our past history.

His school registration in Indonesia listed his religion as Muslim and his name as Barry Soetoro.

...and only Indonesian citizens were allowed to go to school at the time.

depechemode

Enjoy the Silence
I think I am going to need a little bit more proof of the tone of the audience then what Bush read from a something probably written well in advance. He could have said that amongst a booing audience.
I doubt they were booing but I guarantee it was not thunderous applause either.

Last edited:

ImnoMensa

I refuse to respect a man who hasnt enough respect for the Constitution to show his birth certificate, I refuse to respect the Office Of the Presidency when a usurper is sitting in that office.

I refuse to respect a man who attended a racist church for 20 years and then lied and said he didnt know it was racist.

I refuse to respect a man who doesnt respect the lives of the unborn.

You respect him Eddy, you elected him, and how is that change working for you. The guy who got elected saying Bush spent too much and spent 4 times as much as Bush in his first 100 days, with more to come.

Barrack Hussein Obama , the Reneger in Chief.

Renege=1. To fail to carry out a promise or commitment: reneged on the contract at the last minute. ----The guy who follows more of George Bush's policies every day.

Barry Soetoro failed to make the Prayer Breakfast, Failed to make it to the Police Memorial, but he made it to Notre Dame to spit in the face of catholics.

Last edited:

depechemode

Enjoy the Silence
Maybe you know not of which you speak!

It's easy to do a little research before you open your mouth and insert your foot!

Actually upon doing research (simple google student protest Bush commencement with the dates from 2001-9) it looks at though there has been plenty of student and/or faulty led protests of Bush commencements dating back as far as 2001.

This is of course to differentiate from protests that are not affiliated with the university such as the case with Obama's address at ND.

The point I am trying to make is that in general university settings are much more accepting of the liberal agenda than that of the conservative one. I think that is evident from the reception that conservative speakers tend to receive on college campus.

Last edited:

Hessian

I refuse to respect a man who hasnt enough respect for the Constitution to show his birth certificate, I refuse to respect the Office Of the Presidency when a usurper is sitting in that office.

I refuse to respect a man who attended a racist church for 20 years and then lied and said he didnt know it was racist.

You respect him Eddy, you elected him, and how is that change working for you. The guy who got elected saying Bush spent too much and spent 4 times as much as Bush in his first 100 days, with more to come.

Renege=1. To fail to carry out a promise or commitment: reneged on the contract at the last minute. ----The guy who follows more of George Bush's policies every day.

Barry Soetoro failed to make the Prayer Breakfast, Failed to make it to the Police Memorial, but he made it to Notre Dame to spit in the face of catholics.

Compared to Nonno or Nucklehead or Andy...you are clearly mensa! (While they may someday be qualified to collect carts in the Superfresh lot.)

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
No, the President is not Catholic. He is Christian. Anyone who makes the claim that he is Muslim, does nothing more than amplify their own bigotry for one and shows that they have learned nothing from our past history.
Great! Another bleeding heart, uninformed, everyone's a Christian type liberal.
With a statement like that one, it's obvious that you don't know the difference. He is neither. Can't any liberals see this? Apparently not, you all fell for (and still are) falling for his lies. Since you are unqualified to tell the difference, you should learn more before speaking out here.
Face it, most college students tend to fall on the liberal side. I think this is two folded. First college in general tends to be a liberal environment. Secondly most college students are not paying for their education, either their parents or the state is (even if through low cost loans they have to pay back, AFTER they graduate). So they have that entitlement (for lack of a better word) attitude. Most have never had to work for anything, except maybe some spending money.
:yay: :yay:
Catholics ARE Christians you cow.
They are seriously NOT one and the same. Some Catholics are Christians just as some Baptists, Methodists, etc., are BUT NOT ALL of them. God is not a liberal. Many people claim to be Christians but their actions and words clearly say otherwise. Didn't you learn anything from the hundreds of posts about this?

The guy who got elected saying Bush spent too much and spent 4 times as much as Bush in his first 100 days, with more to come.

And I refuse to disagree with you!:lmao:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
They are seriously NOT one and the same. Some Catholics are Christians just as some Baptists, Methodists, etc., are BUT NOT ALL of them. God is not a liberal. Many people claim to be Christians but their actions and words clearly say otherwise. Didn't you learn anything from the hundreds of posts about this?

While I understand your premise, when I said Catholics I meant the Catholic Church and not every person that professes to be Catholic. For God's sake your quote above could apply to every so-called Christian religion out there! Posers galore! Just thought you were being one of "those" protestants who slam THE CHURCH but have no clue about it (but really believe they do). That's what my mother in law is for!!!!

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
While I understand your premise, when I said Catholics I meant the Catholic Church and not every person that professes to be Catholic. Just thought you were being one of "those" protestants who slam THE CHURCH but have no clue about it (but really believe they do).
Ok but that's what I'm saying about the hundreds of posts. I was raised Catholic so I have a full understanding of what they're about.

eddy1

I think I am going to need a little bit more proof of the tone of the audience then what Bush read from a something probably written well in advance. He could have said that amongst a booing audience.
I doubt they were booing but I guarantee it was not thunderous applause either.

So now it is speculation. I was there during that speech in 2001, in South Bend, and it was to thunderous applause and a standing ovation.

eddy1

Actually upon doing research (simple google student protest Bush commencement with the dates from 2001-9) it looks at though there has been plenty of student and/or faulty led protests of Bush commencements dating back as far as 2001.

This is of course to differentiate from protests that are not affiliated with the university such as the case with Obama's address at ND.

The point I am trying to make is that in general university settings are much more accepting of the liberal agenda than that of the conservative one. I think that is evident from the reception that conservative speakers tend to receive on college campus.

There is s difference between student protest and how the person is received during their speech. There was more student protest for President Obama than there had been ever before on the Notre Dame campus. That is what our country is about. You can voice your opposition to the president and his policies, but act in a dignified manner when he is addressing you.

Of course universities are more liberal then general society. But you paint a broad stroke with your assessment of this particular university, which produces students a cut above many of the universities in our country.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Ok but that's what I'm saying about the hundreds of posts. I was raised Catholic so I have a full understanding of what they're about.

That too is fine.....However allow me 2 observations.

1. Being "raised" Catholic or even considering oneself to be a "good" Catholic doesn't mean that one has an understanding of the Catholic faith. It is so far beyond going to mass on Sunday or having gone through the motions of receiving sacraments. Most Catholics have no idea about the early Church or where certain dogma even comes from.

2. The angriest people in the world are ex or former Catholics. Be honest you know who you are!!!

eddy1

I just read through it, and I can't find any where in the constitution that you have to show your birth certificate. I love the ideologues who contend that the president is not a citizen of the United States. How stupid are you?

And there you go. When people don't agree with your right wing ideology, they automatically voted for Obama. For your information, I voted for a moderate, John McCain. Not only in this election, but in the one prior.

While I don't agree with his politics, I submit to the American voters who voted him in, and unlike you, hope he does well for the good of the country!

Last edited:

onel0126

Bead mumbler

Holy crap! Phil I believe, right? I just read through the "Catholic" thread under religion. I see what you mean about the hundreds of threads. I won't hijack this thread anymore. Don't have the energy to do it here as I spend too much time doing so on another site.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
That too is fine.....However allow me 2 observations.

1. Being "raised" Catholic or even considering oneself to be a "good" Catholic doesn't mean that one has an understanding of the Catholic faith. It is so far beyond going to mass on Sunday or having gone through the motions of receiving sacraments. Most Catholics have no idea about the early Church or where certain dogma even comes from.

2. The angriest people in the world are ex or former Catholics. Be honest you know who you are!!!
1) Who says I don't have an understanding? I only care about what they say compared to what God says in the Bible. The early church or where their dog mama comes from is irrelevant to me. It's a lot of what they teach that I take issue with.
2) I have NO hatred for them. There was no abuse from them and, overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my 12 years of Catholic school. I hated going to church but the school I loved.
Holy crap! Phil I believe, right? I just read through the "Catholic" thread under religion. I see what you mean about the hundreds of threads. I won't hijack this thread anymore. Don't have the energy to do it here as I spend too much time doing so on another site.
Phil???? Have we met?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
2. The angriest people in the world are ex or former Catholics.
Might be cuz 1 of the thousands of pedofile priests tried to play hide the salami with them. I'm just sayin' they were pretty blatant about it years ago.

But getting back to the original quote, I wonder why that is?