Primary

stgislander

PREMO Member
Just checking the SMC Board of Elections website. Any idea why Dems and Reps got to vote for Circuit Court Judge but non-affiliateds did not?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just checking the SMC Board of Elections website. Any idea why Dems and Reps got to vote for Circuit Court Judge but non-affiliateds did not?
Because Maryland has closed primaries. The Circuit Judges are partisan positions and one must be affiliated to vote. Non-affiliated can only vote for non-partisan positions like school boards.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Because Maryland has closed primaries. The Circuit Judges are partisan positions and one must be affiliated to vote. Non-affiliated can only vote for non-partisan positions like school boards.
(Flashback to my time in South Korea) Ahhhh Missa Ken.. I understand. Please explain.

If Armitage and Lorenzini are both Reps, then the Dems wouldn't have voted for them. Vice versa, if they were both Dems then the Reps wouldn't have voted for them. If they were one of each, then they would have held off until the General and everyone would have had a chance to vote for them.

Why are Circuit Court judges special?

Reactions: TPD

Ken King

PREMO Member
(Flashback to my time in South Korea) Ahhhh Missa Ken.. I understand. Please explain.
:lol:
If Armitage and Lorenzini are both Reps, then the Dems wouldn't have voted for them. Vice versa, if they were both Dems then the Reps wouldn't have voted for them. If they were one of each, then they would have held off until the General and everyone would have had a chance to vote for them.
Circuit judges compete in a partisan primary for the Republican and/or Democratic nomination. Candidates may cross-file with both parties. The candidates who receive the most votes from each primary advance to the general election to compete against each other, as well as any minor party or independent candidates
Why are Circuit Court judges special?
Don't know, but its Orphan's Court too.

DaSDGuy

The Judicial branch of the Maryland government has decreed that judicial primary elections will be determined by party declared voters only, i.e., Republicans and Democrats. Unoffiliated voters do not get to vote for judicial positions during the primary. Call the state Supreme Court if you have a complaint.

HemiHauler

The Judicial branch of the Maryland government has decreed that judicial primary elections will be determined by party declared voters only, i.e., Republicans and Democrats. Unoffiliated voters do not get to vote for judicial positions during the primary. Call the state Supreme Court if you have a complaint.
Most people prefer closed elections. Otherwise, the Democrats can run a moderate candidate that most Republican voters can tolerate, but then the seat is still owned by the Democrat party.

stgislander

PREMO Member
:lol:

Circuit judges compete in a partisan primary for the Republican and/or Democratic nomination. Candidates may cross-file with both parties. The candidates who receive the most votes from each primary advance to the general election to compete against each other, as well as any minor party or independent candidates

Don't know, but its Orphan's Court too.
Cross-filing huh. So since Lorenzini received the most vote in both primaries, she may/may not be the only name on the November ballot.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Cross-filing huh. So since Lorenzini received the most vote in both primaries, she may/may not be the only name on the November ballot.
Not sure how that would work. I'll look around and see if that is even covered.

Ken King

PREMO Member
May or may not seems to be correct as there might be petition candidates or non-principal political party candidates who have received their party's nomination. As it stands Lorenzini is the only candidate that advances from the primary election.