Prime Rib Roast

acommondisaster

If you're doing it on the grill, why not throw some russet potatoes on there at the same time and have baked potatoes - they'll have a nice flavor to them. Just wash them real good and poke a couple of holes in them and rub with oil. If you want to get fancy, you could roll them (or sprinkle on) some kosher salt.

edinsomd

What would you want as side dishes to go with the prime rib?

Yorkshire Pudding! Which is why you have to catch the drippings.

Hat tip to Tyler Florence

Yorkshire Pudding
Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup pan drippings from roast prime rib of beef

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Sift together the flour and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Pour the drippings into a 9-inch pie pan, cast iron skillet, or square baking dish. Put the pan in oven and get the drippings smoking hot. Carefully take the pan out of the oven and pour in the batter. Put the pan back in oven and cook until puffed and dry, 15 to 20 minutes.

I use a muffin pan and make individual yorkies. Classic side to a rib roast- the first thing I hear after announcing I'm doing a Prime Rib is "You ARE making Yorkshire Pudding with that, RIGHT??!!"

Midnightrider

Anybody ever try this roast recipe before, work with a girl who swears by it.

PERFECT PRIME RIB EVERYTIME
Printed from COOKS.COM
prime rib roast with or without bone (any size)
bottom round center cut

Preheat oven to 550°F degrees.

Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan fat side up.

Roast at 550°F at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.

Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.

At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice; it comes out perfect everytime.

Works the same with Roast beef. The next time you want an easy hands-off, tender and juicy roast, try this recipe - you won't be disappointed!

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/uh6bb7na/perfect-prime-rib-everytime.html

I have used one similar to that a few times. It gives you a really good rare roast with a nice crust. The only problem is that your smoke detector will go off unless you just cleaned you oven, and maybe even if you have.

acommondisaster

Here's how I do it. Rub the whole thing in olive oil then put on a good coat of kosher salt and ground pepper (add some crushed rosemary if you like). Then, bones side down, put it in a casserole dish that is safe for the stove top (more on that later).

With a meat thermometer inserted put it uncovered in a 225 degree oven until the internal temp is 125 degrees. Take it out of the oven and cover with foil to rest. Don't touch the therm. probe. Crank the oven to 500 degrees. When you are at temp, take the foil off and put the meat back in the oven for 15 minutes.

After the 15 minutes take meat out of the oven and out of the pan and on to a cutting board and cover it with foil. (Don't take the temp. probe out till cutting time). Now put the pan on the stove on high heat (pour off the grease). Pour in a cup of of red wine and a cup of water and deglaze. Reduce by half then pop in some bruised sage for 60 seconds then remove the sage. Wisk in some butter and the au jus is done. The meat temp should settle in around 135 degrees, which is rare - the way restaurants cook it - when someone orders it done to a different degree, they just put it in the jus and warm it until it is at the right "doneness".

Of course, none of this makes a darned bit of difference if it's being done on the grill. I'd just use indirect heat and a meat thermometer - and use a foil pie pan to try to catch some of the juice. If you're using the rotisserie, which kind of seems like heresy to me, since you're going to poke a hole through the meat (gasp), you should be able to put a tray or something underneath it to catch the juices.

edinsomd

Here's how I do it. Rub the whole thing in olive oil then put on a good coat of kosher salt and ground pepper (add some crushed rosemary if you like). Then, bones side down, put it in a casserole dish that is safe for the stove top (more on that later).

With a meat thermometer inserted put it uncovered in a 225 degree oven until the internal temp is 125 degrees. Take it out of the oven and cover with foil to rest. Don't touch the therm. probe. Crank the oven to 500 degrees. When you are at temp, take the foil off and put the meat back in the oven for 15 minutes.

After the 15 minutes take meat out of the oven and out of the pan and on to a cutting board and cover it with foil. (Don't take the temp. probe out till cutting time). Now put the pan on the stove on high heat (pour off the grease). Pour in a cup of of red wine and a cup of water and deglaze. Reduce by half then pop in some bruised sage for 60 seconds then remove the sage. Wisk in some butter and the au jus is done. The meat temp should settle in around 135 degrees, which is rare - the way restaurants cook it - when someone orders it done to a different degree, they just put it in the jus and warm it until it is at the right "doneness".

Of course, none of this makes a darned bit of difference if it's being done on the grill. I'd just use indirect heat and a meat thermometer - and use a foil pie pan to try to catch some of the juice. If you're using the rotisserie, which kind of seems like heresy to me, since you're going to poke a hole through the meat (gasp), you should be able to put a tray or something underneath it to catch the juices.

Reverse sear is a good technique, but whatever you do, use a thermometer, never a timer, to tell you when your meat is done.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
If you're using the rotisserie, which kind of seems like heresy to me, since you're going to poke a hole through the meat (gasp), you should be able to put a tray or something underneath it to catch the juices.

Good point.
Maybe not a good thing to do.

Never cooked one before.
I want to cook it on the grill to free up the oven and kitchen for the wife.
Plus, It will make me feel MANLY.

MarieB

If you're doing it on the grill, why not throw some russet potatoes on there at the same time and have baked potatoes - they'll have a nice flavor to them. Just wash them real good and poke a couple of holes in them and rub with oil. If you want to get fancy, you could roll them (or sprinkle on) some kosher salt.

I agree. Baked potatoes with the usual sides (sour creme, butter, chives, cheddar, and bacon )

My husband has used the rotisserie. You just tie it on there instead of poking it.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I agree. Baked potatoes with the usual sides (sour creme, butter, chives, cheddar, and bacon )

My husband has used the rotisserie. You just tie it on there instead of poking it.

How the hell do you tie it on there.

All I hear right now is thunk.......thunk.......thunk.....thunk.....thunk......thunk....thunk.....thunk.....thunk.......

MarieB

How the hell do you tie it on there.

All I hear right now is thunk.......thunk.......thunk.....thunk.....thunk......thunk....thunk.....thunk.....thunk.......

That is why I don't operate the grill :biggrin:

I'll have to ask him.

acommondisaster

Never cooked one, so I never carved one.

And pudding is nasty. Reminds me of oatmeal.

It's not really pudding. The only thing I can compare it to is a popover or puff pastry. It's got an eggy flavor to it, but not strong. Love it.

I hope you have horseradish.