Prime Rib Roast

mamatutu

mama to two
Thanks for this thread, DW. I have never done a standing/prime rib roast in my life; just traditional ham or turkey, or both. I already ordered my roast from Nick's before this thread, but had no idea after that. This thread has been extremely informative. Thanks, y'all! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

edinsomd

Never cooked one, so I never carved one.

And pudding is nasty. Reminds me of oatmeal.

It's basically a pancake batter, fried in the beef drippings all puffed up and golden brown- not really a "pudding" at all. Savory and very tasty.

To carve the critter, after however you cook it:

Lay the roast on it's side, ribs to the right (if right handed). With a long and very sharp knife, trim closely around the rib bones 'till they're free, and set aside. Return the "eye" upright, and slice portions to desired thickness. Done!

edinsomd

Thanks for this thread, DW. I have never done a standing/prime rib roast in my life; just traditional ham or turkey, or both. I already ordered my roast from Nick's before this thread, but had no idea after that. This thread has been extremely informative. Thanks, y'all! Merry Christmas!

If you can roast a turkey, and do it well, a standing rib roast is easy by comparison. Just remember to go by the internal temperature and ignore the timer, and all will be fine.

You ARE making Yorkshire Pudding with this, RIGHT??!!:lmao:

mamatutu

mama to two
If you can roast a turkey, and do it well, a standing rib roast is easy by comparison. Just remember to go by the internal temperature and ignore the timer, and all will be fine.

You ARE making Yorkshire Pudding with this, RIGHT??!!:lmao:

I yield to my future in laws on that one. My daughter's fiancée's mom says she is the expert on Yorkshire pudding. I ain't stepptin' on no toes' this early in the game. Merry Christmas, ed, you are a dear. :smile:

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
It's basically a pancake batter, fried in the beef drippings all puffed up and golden brown- not really a "pudding" at all. Savory and very tasty.

Lay the roast on it's side, ribs to the right (if right handed). With a long and very sharp knife, trim closely around the rib bones 'till they're free, and set aside. Return the "eye" upright, and slice portions to desired thickness. Done!

Thanks for the info Buddy.
But I got the boneless roast.
When that little F'er is done, I think I might just take a big o'le bite out of it before it even gets in the house.

:buddies:

mamatutu

mama to two

Oh, oh, I know the answer even though I am a novice. Bone keeps the juices in. A butcher will cut the bone to where you can pull it apart easily. And, some people prefer the bone/rib part as opposed to the actual steak part, which is the prime rib that we know in restaurants. The nice butcher at Nicks told me that. :smile: I never knew, either, that you order by rib. One rib feeds two people. Rib roasts come in 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7+ They skip 6. I have learned a lot about standing rib roasts. :lol:

Hank

my war
Oh, oh, I know the answer even though I am a novice. Bone keeps the juices in. A butcher will cut the bone to where you can pull it apart easily. And, some people prefer the bone/rib part as opposed to the actual steak part, which is the prime rib that we know in restaurants. The nice butcher at Nicks told me that. :smile: I never knew, either, that you order by rib. One rib feeds two people. Rib roasts come in 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7+ They skip 6. I have learned a lot about standing rib roasts. :lol:

How much for one rib?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Prime rib, turkey and ham. All Easy Peasy. I have been cooking holiday meals for 8-15 people since I was 15. My sister is the Artist. I am the cook. :smile:

sunnyside393

Yorkshire pudding

Thanks for the info on how to make....never made it before....but have had it.......it's delicious