Prime rib smoked like a brisket

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When I tested the rib with a thermometer, it showed 120. I still had a few things to grill, so I left it in the smoker for maybe 10 more minutes. I should have pulled it right then and there. By the time it rested, it was easily cooked medium. Since it was cold and windy, I think my smoker door thermometer may have been slightly compromised.

Anyway it was a 4 bone sized rib roast. The local Publix ran a special on them. $5.99 a pound. So why not. I hit it with some mesquite seasoning mix, kosher salt & black pepper. Just before putting it in the hot box, it got smeared with a mashed garlic & herb mix. All the herbs came off our baker rack garden. I put the meat on the top rack and put a pyrex pie pan on the lower level to capture the juice and fat that dripped off.

The recipe I used had an attached video. In the video he used a boneless rib. He said the bone in one would take longer. That was a lie. Good thing I checked it when I did.

So it rests then we get the rest of the food set out. I got the cutting board with the well, so I don't lose any of the precious juices. I make what I call English cuts. Not big honking slabs of meat. Just slices a little more than the width of a drinking straw. I cut enough for the meal. It's good. I would have liked to have gotten it maybe 5 degrees less cooked. And I didn't find it overly smoky.

After dinner, I cut all the rest of the meat. I cut the meat out between the bones. All the meat went into a different pyrex dish. The dish is overflowing with smoky bovine goodness. I eat a few beef sandwiches for 2nd dinner.

Today I had just smoked prime rib for lunch. Nuked a few pieces for a minute. It tastes smokier today. But not overly smoky. Maybe it's my sniffer or taste buds. Anyway the dog is loosing his mind while I eat this. Apollo has been barfing up lately. It seems it's when he eats stuff other than his regular food. So no snackies for him. I hate cleaning up the barf. So I try to avoid giving him anything that could possibly make him sick. I bet a lot of you had a visual in your head of a nice piece of prime rib. Now that has been replaced by images of dog vomit. Life can be so cruel some times.

Anyway there's nothing worse than trying to enjoy some food with a whiny, barky dog. Luckily I just have to show him the bamboo back scratcher to convince him to knock it off.

So I have at least 4 more meals of prime rib in the refer. I guess at some point some of it will be frozen. That's not such a bad problem to have. I have too much prime rib is such a first world problem. I still have some leftover asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, carrots and my first attempt at focaccia bread. But I'm sure those items aren't as interesting as the meat.

Plus it was a good thing I got to use my garden herbs. The cold snap knocked out quite a few of our plants. No telling which ones will bounce back and which are dead.

So that's about it for this week in adventures in smoking meats. No telling what sort of hankering we will get in the future. But it will probably include a piece of pork shoulder and some citrus.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Sounds wonderful.

I have a prime rib that I'll make for New Years. going to sous vide it, then finish it on the rotisserie. It's great right then and there, but like you, the rare sammiches later are just heaven.