private instructor

cdsulhoff

Hello all,

I am looking for a Baseball to give private lesson.. My son is 10 and has great potential for pitching.. He pitches now but As a parent we are bumping heads when it come to coaching... Especially when the person in his ear at home is me his mom.... I do not want to have him go to camps where he is mixed in with a bunch of kids that has no idea of the sport... He has three excellent coaches now on his travel team. However I am looking for more one on one... I am basically just looking for more training in pitching...
Do any one here know of someone that can do this? I tried looking and I feel that I am running in circle....TIA

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cdsulhoff said:
Hello all,

I am looking for a Baseball to give private lesson.. My son is 10 and has great potential for pitching.. He pitches now but As a parent we are bumping heads when it come to coaching... Especially when the person in his ear at home is me his mom.... I do not want to have him go to camps where he is mixed in with a bunch of kids that has no idea of the sport... He has three excellent coaches now on his travel team. However I am looking for more one on one... I am basically just looking for more training in pitching...
Do any one here know of someone that can do this? I tried looking and I feel that I am running in circle....TIA
He's TEN.. it's LITTLE league.. let him have fun and PLAY the game..

Heaven forbid he goes to camp with the loser kids..

Do you get private tutors for Math and Science too??

Does he own one of those $300 bats too??

cdsulhoff

itsbob said:
He's TEN.. it's LITTLE league.. let him have fun and PLAY the game..

Heaven forbid he goes to camp with the loser kids..

Do you get private tutors for Math and Science too??

Does he own one of those $300 bats too??

Listen I do not feel I should justify myself or my son, but I am feel the need to explain to you that he does this for fun we do have fun.. He loves being there and we love seeing him play.. There is nothing wrong with wanting to better my son ability to play... Now,With the education comment he does not play if his grades aren't to par. He knows the rules in this house...
Secondly, He does not own a $300 bat. I would not even consider it..
Do not come in here and assume that I am some pushy parent that is not letting my son have fun.. This is what he wants to do. I do not push him to do anything.. He has one more year until middle school and he wants the extra help and I am going to get him the extra help.. He came to me.. I do nothing but give my kids the support that they need.

Any coach that has delt with me will tel you that I am laid back and the first thing I say when he either goes out to pitch or bat is Have fun and I always ask if he is having fun.. I do not correct him or yell at him..I also do not push him to practice. He does that on his own terms... We have all the equipment that he needs when he want to practice he come to us.. which, that is usually all the time... There are time were we have to make him stop so he does not hurt his arm.

So do not sit there and make me look like I am a bad person for wanting the best for my child. We as parents know that we have came to a point is our child's life where we need help with helping him. And yes that mean I need to pay for a trainer..
This is his dream so we are allowing him to have his dream...

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
From my perspective. I am almost 30 now, I grew up in this county playing baseball, I was pretty good from a young age and my dad pushed me. I went to camps and played year round before that became very popular or available.
My father built a mound in our back yard once it became evident that if I was gonna make it, it would be as a pitcher. I would pitch to him a few times a week depending on if I pitched games that week or not. I would work on mechanics and grips and arm angles ect....

When I got to High School I was doing well I got moved up to varisty in the middle of my freshman year, by the end of my sophmore year I was getting looked at my some pretty good colleges. (Clemson, BC) Then my junior year my arm starting hurting some and my fastball was just staying the same speed even though I was getting bigger and stronger. By my senior year baseball wasn't too much fun anymore but I played anyway because I knew I still had a shot of playing some level of college ball and might get an education partially paid for.

I went on to play 2 years at a small division 1 college here in MD and found that I was just fed up with it. Looking back at it I regret taking it so seriously so early, I regret throwing curveballs at the ages of 10-15, and I regret pitching so much when I was young. My arm was just wore out by mid-high school.

My advice, coming from a kid that went from loving baseball to just being like "whatever" about it by the time I should of been reaching my peak is, don't let him take it too seriously too early. I sure know I wish I hadn't of.

ETA... don't take this as me trying to tell you what to do, just thought I would give you view from the perspective of someone that has been there.
By the way it is good that you don't push too hard because then it does become too much like a job for the kid.

Last edited:

cdsulhoff

AK-74me said:
From my perspective. I am almost 30 now, I grew up in this county playing baseball, I was pretty good from a young age and my dad pushed me. I went to camps and played year round before that became very popular or available.
My father built a mound in our back yard once it became evident that if I was gonna make it, it would be as a pitcher. I would pitch to him a few times a week depending on if I pitched games that week or not. I would work on mechanics and grips and arm angles ect....

When I got to High School I was doing well I got moved up to varisty in the middle of my freshman year, by the end of my sophmore year I was getting looked at my some pretty good colleges. (Clemson, BC) Then my junior year my arm starting hurting some and my fastball was just staying the same speed even though I was getting bigger and stronger. By my senior year baseball wasn't too much fun anymore but I played anyway because I knew I still had a shot of playing some level of college ball and might get an education partially paid for.

I went on to play 2 years at a small division 1 college here in MD and found that I was just fed up with it. Looking back at it I regret taking it so seriously so early, I regret throwing curveballs at the ages of 10-15, and I regret pitching so much when I was young. My arm was just wore out by mid-high school.

My advice, coming from a kid that went from loving baseball to just being like "whatever" about it by the time I should of been reaching my peak is, don't let him take it too seriously too early. I sure know I wish I hadn't of.

ETA... don't take this as me trying to tell you what to do, just thought I would give you view from the perspective of someone that has been there.
By the way it is good that you don't push too hard because then it does become too much like a job for the kid.

TY,I know how that can be. My husband has an uncle that pushed his sons in football, they even went to college for it but was burn out by time they got there. So I take I do take all that in. The last thing I want to do is to make it work for him...
I normally do not allow him to play any fall sports.This allows him to get rest and take a break from sports and also allows him to concentrate on his education. I do not think he is at that point of letting it become serious yet. I tell him everyday just to have fun. I hope that is what he is doing. It can be a thin line to walk. I can see the ones on his team that really do take it seriously. The one that gets upset because they strike out, or gets out on a base. There are one that get upset at the pitcher mound because they are walking to many kids. I personally think they should sit when they start throwing a fit. My son and a few other are the only ones that even if they strike out or get tag out at a base, they just keep on smiling and say that's the way the game goes.. I have a lot of parents that tell me that they wish their child was a happy go lucky kids like him..
Another thing I am glad he does not pitch in tournaments they pitch those kids way too much I think.. He only pitches for his league games. which they have set rules about how many pitched a kid can pitch..
The training is basically teaching him the proper way of pitching. He really loves being on that mound. The league coach has never played ball so I do not think is is the right person to tell my son how to pitch. I so not want him to hurt my son. All My son needs to learn right on is how to throw a 2 and a 4 seam ball. He has great velocity and that ball can come in fast but he can also walk a lot of kids as well.. One other coach told me he was dropping in elbow..

cdsulhoff

Ken King said:
Have you tried the Marty Schupak training videos/DVDs? I think he has one called "Pitch Right" for those 9 years old and older. Found a link for some stuff that might be just as good as getting a personal coach. http://www.baseballtips.com/videos/pitching/pitchright.html

You know we have not done videos yet. I was thinking about doing that.
He does the cutest thing, when he watches a ball game he will imitate them as they are playing.

donbarzini

cdsulhoff said:
You know we have not done videos yet. I was thinking about doing that.
He does the cutest thing, when he watches a ball game he will imitate them as they are playing.

IMO the single best pitching video is the Tom Emansky video that is advertised on ESPN. The video is geared to basic pitching mechanics which is what the kids his age need.

cdsulhoff

donbarzini said:
IMO the single best pitching video is the Tom Emansky video that is advertised on ESPN. The video is geared to basic pitching mechanics which is what the kids his age need.

I am seriously thinking about getting some videos...I am wondering who well he would benefit from them.... I am about to go over the bridge so I might just do that and look to see if any place has them... Now there is one camp that he wants to do and that is the Cal Ripken camp in Aberdeen. I just can not see spending 1,250 for a week worth of camp.. He wants to go because the coaches are actual pro ball players and pro coaches. And lets not forget both of the Ripken's are there as well... There are two players he looks up to and it is Cal Ripken Jr. and B.J. Surhoff.( B/C of our last name). My hubby said three years back that he can go when he is 11 yrs old. Well, he is now eating his words my son reminds him of that... I also am going to get Cal's new book on how to parent a young talent athlete child. I heard that was a good book..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cdsulhoff said:
Listen I do not feel I should justify myself or my son, but I am feel the need to explain to you that he does this for fun we do have fun.. He loves being there and we love seeing him play.. There is nothing wrong with wanting to better my son ability to play... Now,With the education comment he does not play if his grades aren't to par. He knows the rules in this house...
Secondly, He does not own a $300 bat. I would not even consider it..
Do not come in here and assume that I am some pushy parent that is not letting my son have fun.. This is what he wants to do. I do not push him to do anything.. He has one more year until middle school and he wants the extra help and I am going to get him the extra help.. He came to me.. I do nothing but give my kids the support that they need.

Any coach that has delt with me will tel you that I am laid back and the first thing I say when he either goes out to pitch or bat is Have fun and I always ask if he is having fun.. I do not correct him or yell at him..I also do not push him to practice. He does that on his own terms... We have all the equipment that he needs when he want to practice he come to us.. which, that is usually all the time... There are time were we have to make him stop so he does not hurt his arm.

So do not sit there and make me look like I am a bad person for wanting the best for my child. We as parents know that we have came to a point is our child's life where we need help with helping him. And yes that mean I need to pay for a trainer..
This is his dream so we are allowing him to have his dream...
I'm sorry, did I touch a nerve??
Whatever happened to playgrounds.. pick up games, playing catch with friends?? Or did I miss a memo??

cdsulhoff

itsbob said:
I'm sorry, did I touch a nerve??
Whatever happened to playgrounds.. pick up games, playing catch with friends?? Or did I miss a memo??

Well a nerve did get hit.
My son plays catch with friends in our yard or his friends house. We do not go to the playground for the fact that swings are just boring to my sons.. They love to play sports.. I wish they could put together a pick up game that would be fun. I know that my son and his friends started a recess baseball team at school. They are not allow to use a bat but they can bring their gloves and a soft t- ball to play with. They will practice strategy plays. Which I think is pretty cool that they allow them to do this.. I tried to get the parents vs. the kids but the parents chicken out..

School sports starts in the sixth grade and yes that is early.
People are starting to train the kids younger and younger for sports that letting your kid just have fun is becoming a time in the past. I feel my son have enough ability to play for a school team with out the breeding him for it. We do want to get him a private coach but that is mainly for technically purpose. I said before I have no clue on something. I do not want to harm him. I just did not say your are having a trainer and that is that. I asked how he felt and wanted his input. We are only looking at 1 hour twice a week. that should be plenty for him...
I have to say his travel team coach started this team 3 years ago and they started off not even placing. The second year we did more tournaments and still have not place at any of the games. Now this year they either place 2nd or 1st. I think out of all the tournament they done this year they did not place in 2 of them... They have come a long way. I have to say it is costly to be on a team that travels.. But this is what our son wants and we will be by his side all the way...

smilin

BOXER NATION
Sport for fun

cdsulhoff said:
Well a nerve did get hit.
My son plays catch with friends in our yard or his friends house. We do not go to the playground for the fact that swings are just boring to my sons.. They love to play sports.. I wish they could put together a pick up game that would be fun. I know that my son and his friends started a recess baseball team at school. They are not allow to use a bat but they can bring their gloves and a soft t- ball to play with. They will practice strategy plays. Which I think is pretty cool that they allow them to do this.. I tried to get the parents vs. the kids but the parents chicken out..

School sports starts in the sixth grade and yes that is early.
People are starting to train the kids younger and younger for sports that letting your kid just have fun is becoming a time in the past. I feel my son have enough ability to play for a school team with out the breeding him for it. We do want to get him a private coach but that is mainly for technically purpose. I said before I have no clue on something. I do not want to harm him. I just did not say your are having a trainer and that is that. I asked how he felt and wanted his input. We are only looking at 1 hour twice a week. that should be plenty for him...
I have to say his travel team coach started this team 3 years ago and they started off not even placing. The second year we did more tournaments and still have not place at any of the games. Now this year they either place 2nd or 1st. I think out of all the tournament they done this year they did not place in 2 of them... They have come a long way. I have to say it is costly to be on a team that travels.. But this is what our son wants and we will be by his side all the way...

The one lesson kid sports has taught me is: when it stops being fun, it becomes ordinary and dull. I played in high school, when I could, then in College. After that I threw everything out and never wanted to be yelled at again for a real or imagined mistake.
When my kids came along I picked it up again and found myself coaching and yelling at my kids. One day I saw that glazed look across the eyes and realized I was perpetuating the myth of coach invincibility, and from that day on never yelled again.
There should be one word in the vocabulary of everybody involved in sports:
PRACTICE and MORE PRACTICE.
This brings the parents closer to their kids. It makes everybody happier on the playing field AND believe it or not makes the kids better players.
It amazes me when I see parents complain bitterly about playing time, call coaches names, and NEVER pickup a ball with their child at home.
Get a coach, so your son learns how to throw better, then buy a mitt and play catch with him for fun.

cdsulhoff

Well, I think I have come to the conclusion that finding a private instructor is like walking into a brick wall... :banghead:
I talked to his travel coach and he told me that the only thing my son really needs to work on is his out-fielding. Not so much going up to get it but his problem is backing up to get the pop fly. So, today I went out and bought stuff to help him.. The coach gave me a couple of drills to work on and show me what I need to know. Now for his pitching when he is on he is on, but when he is having a bad day he just cant hack it.. That where having a private coach would come in handy. So I am going to show him what I got and let him decide when he want to practice. He practice on his on terms..

My son along with 14 other are what they consider the top of the league.. It is when you have 15 boys that are at the same caliber you want your son to work harder to set himself aside. On the regular league ball my son pitches 3 innings and when he is not pitching he is playing infield.. I am starting to notice the other parents talking about my son and I lately.. Hey whatever floats their boats.!! They need to just take it up with the coach, not just sit there and talk about us behind our backs. I can not help it that my son has more knowledge of the game and is a good ball player. I see the other kids out there and you can see they like being there and are having fun but you can also see the difference in the technique in the field.. The reason being is not that the other kids aren't good ball players is that they have not trained like my son and the other travel boys. We start team indoor training in early Feb, twice a week, when it warms up we go outside and train even more our practice are 2 hrs long and sometime longer than that. They work and work on plays. While the kids at league only start really practicing when ball season is here.. Our travel team practice a lot for this area but when you go to the northern counties they stay as a team all year long and non stop practice.. Most of their kids will play up in league and play their real age level in tournaments. Sports now and days have become real competitive at this age level...I have notice that the competitive level began when My son was all-stars for pitching machine age..
The one true thing I do not like is to see a kid on the field that clearly doesn't want to be there and their parent yelling at them in front of everyone at the game..

cdsulhoff

private instructor 06-01-2006 12:02 PM "if you had had a daughter, you'd be one of those crazy beauty pageant moms that would force fake eyelash wearing by the age of 4, wouldn't you? "

Got to love people like this.
So My son has a passion for something and I support him and I am now look as a bad parent. Yeah thanks a lot.. I hate parents who support their kids too!!! :sarcasm: Jack A**.

I never once force my kid into anything he did not want to and he make his decision I am only here to help him.

Hold up why in the hell am I explaining myself to a person who cannot even sign for their red karma comments... Grow some balls...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cdsulhoff said:
Sports now and days have become real competitive at this age level...
These ar TEN year olds.. these are KIDS.. if it's competitive, it's not because of the kids. normal ten year olds just want to go out and have fun, win a few games, and go get pizza afterwards..

Or does your sons team only go out if they win??

cdsulhoff

itsbob said:
These ar TEN year olds.. these are KIDS.. if it's competitive, it's not because of the kids. normal ten year olds just want to go out and have fun, win a few games, and go get pizza after words..

Or does your sons team only go out if they win??

Maybe you should really come and see our team play.. These kid are competitive and these kids have fun whether they win or lose. Remember I said this is the first year we place in our tournaments..

Do you have any kids at this age??? These kids are on the team because they want to be there.

To answer your question the team do not go out for pizza at all. They are not there for pizza afterwards..

cdsulhoff

The reason I asked about if you had kids at this age is that you simply think that every ten year old kid is at the same level..

What makes you think that being on a competitive team is not fun. What makes you think that they are being pushed on a travel team. I tell you this there are less kids being push at this level of ball than at the rec level of ball. There are more parents pushing their kids who play regular baseball. I see kids out there who clearly do not want to be there. I see parent who push a child that is not at all into sports.
Our team has kids that wants to be there and enjoys to be there. We have the best bunch of parents. Not one of the parent is hard on their child. We all cheer them on when they are up and when they are down.. We parents are our child's support system we are their when they need a shoulder and we are there to help them glow. These core of kids are going to be the kids you see on the high school baseball team in the future. These kids are going to love ball all the way through all on the count of we as parents make sure that they are there for enjoyment as well.. We might not go out for pizza afterwards but we do tell them that they make us proud after each and every game...

donbarzini

This may be a slanted opinion because I'm affiliated with Little League, but the experience I've had with anything that Ripken is involved with, is really more about the money, than the kids. I know that's probably not a popular opinion in this state, but I'd like to think I'm not letting my bias affect my answer.