Pro Bowl / Super Bowl

bulldog

I'll admit that I'm not a huge football fan and don't follow closely, so forgive me if this is common knowledge to the rest of you.

While watching the Ravens crush the Pats I heard it mentioned that this year the Pro Bowl will be before the Super Bowl. Why would they do such a thing? Why would a coach of a Super Bowl teal allow any of his players to risk injury by playing in the Pro Bowl first?

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
I'll admit that I'm not a huge football fan and don't follow closely, so forgive me if this is common knowledge to the rest of you.

While watching the Ravens crush the Pats I heard it mentioned that this year the Pro Bowl will be before the Super Bowl. Why would they do such a thing? Why would a coach of a Super Bowl teal allow any of his players to risk injury by playing in the Pro Bowl first?

From what I understand, anybody that is playing in the Super Bowl is not playing in the Pro Bowl.

bulldog

From what I understand, anybody that is playing in the Super Bowl is not playing in the Pro Bowl.

Okay, thanks. Have no idea how selections for the pro bowl are made, but seems odd that the two teams going to the super bowl (best teams) won't have any players in the pro bowl (best players)

Okay, thanks. Have no idea how selections for the pro bowl are made, but seems odd that the two teams going to the super bowl (best teams) won't have any players in the pro bowl (best players)

Just because theyre on the best teams, doesnt mean theyre the best players.

OldHillcrestGuy

Any Players selected All Pro and happens to be on one of the teams going to the Super Bowl will not not play in the Por Bowl game. They will be there to be introduced during the before game festivities but will not play.

They proably are doing this to try and keep some interest in this game. When its played after the Super Bowl alot of the players who may have been selected and were in the Super Bowl, elect not to play in the Pro Bowl game anyway.

Also many fans Im sure could care less about the Pro Bowl game after the Super Bowl game is over.

Last edited:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Pro Bowl is the biggest crock going. It will be history in the very near future, IMO

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I don't understand why ANYone would play in the Pro-Bowl.

If I was making 1 million or 50 million a year there is NO way I'd risk playing in a "funsie" game, and suffering a career ending injury..

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Pro Bowl is the biggest crock going. It will be history in the very near future, IMO

I agree. And with moving it to the weekend before the Super Bowl pretty much seals its fate, IMO. Playing in Hawaii after the Super Bowl was a fun way for them to cap their season. Now the Pro-Bowlers who are playing in the Super Bowl won't be able to enjoy all that goes with going to the Pro-Bowl; they'll be too focused on the big game and not willing to chance an injury for an exhibition game. :boo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

No SB players will be participating.

The pro bowl is a :bs: event with no audience and no one cares. Not even the players mothers. By sticking it in between end of playoffs and the superbowl, they hope is to get more than 7 people to watch this year. And maybe a few players moms.

BuddyLee

Football addict
No SB players will be participating.

The pro bowl is a :bs: event with no audience and no one cares. Not even the players mothers. By sticking it in between end of playoffs and the superbowl, they hope is to get more than 7 people to watch this year. And maybe a few players moms.
Tell that to this guy.

Baltimore_Colt

^^^^^
Awesome video. I saw that game. I actually don't recall missing a pro bowl in recent history. I know i'm in the minority but i've always made every effort to watch it. It's just always been like the final piece of the puzzle for me where the season just doesn't feel complete until after the pro bowl and as a kid i always loved seeing all of those different helmets out on the field (much better than way back when they wore helmets with simply the AFC or NFC logos on them) and guys playing on the same team with those who are otherwise their rivals.

I'll admit it can seem pretty lame at times but it has it's moments. The video above obviously being one of them. Does anyone remember the pro bowl a few years back with the final score being something like 58-51? And also, maybe 5 years ago, there was a play where Ray Lewis either intercepted a pass or recovered a fumble and i can honestly say that i don't recall any player in any game i've ever watched make more of an effort than he did to get into the endzone. I've got to try to find a video for that.

Anyway, it seems as though the NFL is well aware that there is very little interest in the pro bowl and they are simply experimenting with ways to make it more appealing. It's a difficult task i would imagine. Obviously the home field advantage thing like they do in baseball doesn't apply so i'm at a lost at what the answer is.

BuddyLee

Football addict
^^^^^
Awesome video. I saw that game. I actually don't recall missing a pro bowl in recent history. I know i'm in the minority but i've always made every effort to watch it. It's just always been like the final piece of the puzzle for me where the season just doesn't feel complete until after the pro bowl and as a kid i always loved seeing all of those different helmets out on the field (much better than way back when they wore helmets with simply the AFC or NFC logos on them) and guys playing on the same team with those who are otherwise their rivals.

I'll admit it can seem pretty lame at times but it has it's moments. The video above obviously being one of them. Does anyone remember the pro bowl a few years back with the final score being something like 58-51? And also, maybe 5 years ago, there was a play where Ray Lewis either intercepted a pass or recovered a fumble and i can honestly say that i don't recall any player in any game i've ever watched make more of an effort than he did to get into the endzone. I've got to try to find a video for that.

Anyway, it seems as though the NFL is well aware that there is very little interest in the pro bowl and they are simply experimenting with ways to make it more appealing. It's a difficult task i would imagine. Obviously the home field advantage thing like they do in baseball doesn't apply so i'm at a lost at what the answer is.

Yeah, it's a long off-season. I'll take all the pro-ball I can get.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Dude had it comin' from 30 yards deep, he just didn't see it.:lol:

Sean Taylor says, "My ball!".

Yeah, he's a punter, in the pro bowl, running from the sun, into the shade, it is football, fine. Whooppee. Sean Taylor's greatest hit. Against a punter. In the pro bowl.