Problems in San Francisco

UglyBear

The security guard made one mistake — in the video it looks like he tied to grab the garbage bag.

if the poor downtrodden oppressed person fell as a result of that, or got his feelings hurt, that would be a huge lawsuit, BLM nationwide protesting in front of all Walgreens with justified mass scale looting.

The corporation would settle for millions.

The poor just-a-hair-above-min-wage security guard would be personally sued to bankruptcy, and would be forever unemployable.

As I told before, in the mid-90s I worked retail in several major chains, and even then it was corporate policy not to do anything about the shoplifters — $100s worth of stolen merchandise vs. 100s $1k of lawsuits and medical bills.

The rot is deeply set in, and spread very far, up and down the chain.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"Nuh uh" is not a thoughtful debate point worth responding to.
Neither was your incredibly weak attempt at the Hooters analogy. But I did respond.

I vaguely recall my last attempt to motorboat a Hooters gal...I think it resulted in a black eye but my memory is a bit vague on that point. :razz:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Gov should just tax Silicon Valley a few billlion and give the money to WallGreens and CVS to keep the stores open

glhs837

Power with Control
The security guard made one mistake — in the video it looks like he tied to grab the garbage bag.

I dont think he was store security, but rather off-duty TSA, so expecting "law enforcement" from him might be a bit of a stretch.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Walgreens Now Closing Stores In San Francisco Following Retail Theft Spike

“Due to ongoing organized retail crime, we have made the difficult decision to close five stores across San Francisco,” Walgreens announced on Tuesday.

“Organized retail crime continues to be a challenge facing retailers across San Francisco, and we are not immune to that,” said Walgreens spokesman Phil Caruso. “Retail theft across our San Francisco stores has continued to increase in the past few months to five times our chain average. During this time to help combat this issue, we increased our investments in security measures in stores across the city to 46 times our chain average in an effort to provide a safe environment.”

“I am completely devastated by this news – this Walgreens is less than a mile from seven schools and has been a staple for seniors, families and children for decades,” said San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai in a Twitter thread posted Tuesday afternoon. “This closure will significantly impact this community.”

Hijinx

Walgreens Now Closing Stores In San Francisco Following Retail Theft Spike

“Due to ongoing organized retail crime, we have made the difficult decision to close five stores across San Francisco,” Walgreens announced on Tuesday.

“Organized retail crime continues to be a challenge facing retailers across San Francisco, and we are not immune to that,” said Walgreens spokesman Phil Caruso. “Retail theft across our San Francisco stores has continued to increase in the past few months to five times our chain average. During this time to help combat this issue, we increased our investments in security measures in stores across the city to 46 times our chain average in an effort to provide a safe environment.”

“I am completely devastated by this news – this Walgreens is less than a mile from seven schools and has been a staple for seniors, families and children for decades,” said San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai in a Twitter thread posted Tuesday afternoon. “This closure will significantly impact this community.”

San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai Ahsha holds a Master's Degree in City Planning from MIT and a dual Bachelor's degree from Northeastern University in Political Science and African-American Studies. Ahsha and Yadira have lived in San Francisco's Excelsior District for over a decade because they believe it is an ideal place to raise their two children.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Boo hoo.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 Yesterday, Fox News ran a widely-reported story headlined, “San Francisco proposal would allow lawsuits over grocery store closures.” Apparently unsatisfied that the City isn’t being demolished fast enough, a maniac on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors now seeks to criminalize businesses closing because they are being criminalized.

image 11.png

The lunatic proposal would require grocery store owners to give six months written notice before closing to the Board of Supervisors and to the Office of Economic and Workforce Development. The store would also have to post notices at all entrances and exits to inform the general public. If they don’t comply, the owners would be subject to class action lawsuits.

They aren’t called the Laws of Supply and Demand for nothing. They are called “laws” because they are LAWS, not just theories or good ideas. I don’t know who needs to hear this, but you can’t just pass an ordinance and change the way the laws of economics work.

Forcing businesses to stick it out for six months and do all these notices when things aren’t working out is a great way to convince new businesses not to open stores in San Fransisco. Nice job, morons.

Perhaps the Board of Supervisors deserves partial credit for trying. Or maybe not. Is it possible — just spitballing here — is there any chance they are trying to fix the wrong problem? I mean, do we have any clues as to what else might be making stores close, apart from ‘greed?’ I don’t know whether this means anything, but the following paragraph from the article caught my eye:

Last year, a Whole Foods location in San Francisco closed a little more than one year after it opened. Records indicated that the Market Street location was the scene of 568 emergency calls in a 13-month period due to incidents such as vagrants throwing food, yelling, fighting and attempting to defecate on the floor, according to the New York Times. At least 14 arrests were made at the location.

My goodness. San Fransisco sounds a lot like the inside of the monkey cage on a particularly restless day. But note the numbers: five hundred and sixty-eight emergency calls, but only fourteen arrests. So. Fox was telling us without telling us.

Why is San Fransisco’s Board of Supervisors afraid of punishing small crimes? If Florida can stop a drunk from sitting half-naked in a garbage can, why can’t San Fransisco stop lunatics from fighting in and trying to defecate on its grocery stores? For Pete’s sake.

It might be, as I’ve suggested before, this is coordinated enemy action. It might be a plot to lower property values through non-enforcment of crimes and destroy valuable urban centers, designed to help billionaire oligarchs buy up big cities for pennies on the dollar. It could be that. But after watching this video clip from Atlanta’s most recent Board of Commissioners meeting, I’m teetering back toward the explanation being a national crisis of incompetence:

image 12.png

CLIP: Atlanta’s diverse and wise city Councillors sagely debate public policy (0:27).

Remember, Atlanta — Fulton County — is also where standout District Attorney Fanny Willis prosecutes crime. She’s the one on the Trump lawsuit who recently advised, in open court, under oath, that “if I owe somebody a G, they gonna get a G.” So it seems like a whole-of-government problem.

You cannot make this stuff up. Somebody call Ayn Rand.