Project Chesapeake ... Thoughts?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
In my near 50 years of driving, and drinking alcohol, have no DUI or DWI citations.
I have always had the idea that driving and over consumption of alcohol do not mix.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
In my near 50 years of driving, and drinking alcohol, have no DUI or DWI citations.
I have always had the idea that driving and over consumption of alcohol do not mix.

and I think that being 'over the limit' is a very easy place to be. :sshrug:

I haven't consumed alcohol in years and when I do, I stay put, meaning no driving. I was in my late 40's when I learned I have a kidney disorder and I could very well end up in handcuffs by not timing alcoholic drinks well enough.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
and I think that being 'over the limit' is a very easy place to be. :sshrug:

I haven't consumed alcohol in years and when I do, I stay put, meaning no driving. I was in my late 40's when I learned I have a kidney disorder and I could very well end up in handcuffs by not timing alcoholic drinks well enough.
Before I went to college, the drinking was the once in a while shot and a beer with my grampa as we watched baseball.
Ramped up, small military school in the middle of Vermont, beer and wine store at the edge of campus, state liquor store within easy walking distance.

I finally cut way back when something felt off and I ended up with the pancreatic cancer diagnosis in mid 2015.

I used to come home after work and knock back 500 - 1000 ML of 80 proof spirits every day the 16 years before that.
Now, 2 mixed drinks and I'm a bit fuzzy.

Clem72

I used to come home after work and knock back 500 - 1000 ML of 80 proof spirits every day the 16 years before that.
Now, 2 mixed drinks and I'm a bit fuzzy.
I don't drink. Just never have cared for it. I can be talked into social drinking maybe once every couple of years. Because of this I don't exactly know the line between fine and not fine. So if I have two beers based on my size and weight I should be fine. My fear is that I would get pulled over, get a DUI, then have to pay to have people who almost certainly drink more than I do preach to me about overcoming my issues with alcohol.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't drink. Just never have cared for it. I can be talked into social drinking maybe once every couple of years. Because of this I don't exactly know the line between fine and not fine. So if I have two beers based on my size and weight I should be fine. My fear is that I would get pulled over, get a DUI, then have to pay to have people who almost certainly drink more than I do preach to me about overcoming my issues with alcohol.
I've never tried to make choices for other people. I do not read the above as someone with "issues," just someone who decides what goes into their own person. Avoiding trouble is why I did my heavy drinking at home. Wife says I'm a sleepy drunk, kind of funny to watch.

BernieP

Resident PIA
court probation? This wasn't your first DWI/DUI?

Sadly, the average DWI/DUI will cost a person $10,000. Sometimes, they make a person get an interlock device mouthpiece and that is expensive. $50 to $150 original install, $50 to $150 per month to monitor it, and it costs the same to remove it as it did to install it. :confused:
The court takes a treatment program into consideration but does not mandate, they do have a list of preferred providers.
Ironically one of those preferred providers I heard the judge provide (or was it the DA) is out of business.
She lost her license to practice psychology and was running her "program"
MVA mandates the interlock and it's more more than $150 a month now. Now MVA provides a list of preferred providers and it's a mandate, with the court it's an option that may impact your sentence.
The MVA, IMHO, is in it for the money more than sobriety and safety.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I've never tried to make choices for other people. I do not read the above as someone with "issues," just someone who decides what goes into their own person. Avoiding trouble is why I did my heavy drinking at home. Wife says I'm a sleepy drunk, kind of funny to watch.
Sometimes you make a mistake, it's not about being a heavy drinker, but food and sleep deprivation.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'd rather my tax dollars go to pay for addiction treatment than a large number of things they piss it away on.

So if someone can't afford the $1000/mo for treatment, just tough noogs? That seems like bullshit to me.
There are a lot of people who work multiple jobs and their income precludes them from the free state health insurance
But not all insurance programs cover the cost of treatment programs for any type of substance abuse disorders.
The clinic in Callaway which basically specializes in opioid addiction, only takes the state insurance.
As someone noted, a lot has to do with the paperwork. When you have a captive audience, and you are a for profit enterprise, you look to keep costs down. It's estimated one of the biggest cost to healthcare providers is the cost of processing insurance claims.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are a lot of people who work multiple jobs and their income precludes them from the free state health insurance
But not all insurance programs cover the cost of treatment programs for any type of substance abuse disorders.
The clinic in Callaway which basically specializes in opioid addiction, only takes the state insurance.
As someone noted, a lot has to do with the paperwork. When you have a captive audience, and you are a for profit enterprise, you look to keep costs down. It's estimated one of the biggest cost to healthcare providers is the cost of processing insurance claims.

And the problem, of course, is that if taxpayers picked up the check for rehab/treatment, some politician's ne'er-do-well family member will go into the rehab business, cut the politician in, and write their own ticket because the government is paying. And then nobody will get clean because there's no money in sobriety.

What a racket.

Tombstone Kate

court probation? This wasn't your first DWI/DUI?

Sadly, the average DWI/DUI will cost a person $10,000. Sometimes, they make a person get an interlock device mouthpiece and that is expensive. $50 to $150 original install, $50 to $150 per month to monitor it, and it costs the same to remove it as it did to install it. :confused:
Yes, this was my first (and last). I'm running at about $10,000 now and do have the interlock because of my breathalyzer reading at the time of arrest. It was $250 to install, $120/ month for monitoring, $20 a month for a calibration. I have about 7 more months on that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, this was my first (and last). I'm running at about $10,000 now and do have the interlock because of my breathalyzer reading at the time of arrest. It was $250 to install, $120/ month for monitoring, $20 a month for a calibration. I have about 7 more months on that.

You could freaking kill someone and not get that much punishment.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

PBJ's come with a bunch of conditions now. MVA requires all these conditions in order to have your driving privileges returned to you.

Interlock+treatment costs+the costs to be on probation (was $50 per month) = expensive

bellagee1

It's pretty common knowledge that DUI offenders are required to do a state approved "DUI education" program as a part of their probation. There used to be several options in the county. Now, Project Chesapeake is the only option. Once the other treatment/education programs closed, PC did away with their 12 week program and now requires all DUI offenders to do 26 weeks of "treatment" - as in 2-4 meetings a week, 2 urinalysis, full abstinence from alcohol. Bear in mind that abstinence from alcohol is a PC requirement and not required by the court unless you have supervised probation.
During my time there, as a first time DUI offender, I've heard multiple accounts of false positives for UAs, contaminated samples that aren't documented properly, people being bumped from 2 meetings a week to 4 meetings a week after a positive - no explanation is allowed or able to be proven for a false UA.
We were told in a meeting once that "addicts lie", "there are no false positives". While this may have some basis in truth, false positives occur for any number of reasons - I would think mostly because PC gets another $6,000 out of a patient when they have to be leveled up to Intensive Outpatient programs.
I've been in the program for 23 weeks at $250 a week out of pocket. I got a lot out of it for the first 8-10 weeks, now it's just an annoyance, but they have to keep me around to make their money. The thing that is supposed to help me the most, is causing me the most anxiety.
Before anyone says that I'm refusing to take responsibility for my actions, that is absolutely false. I screwed up. I didn't try to fight it. I accepted every consequence I got and immediately vowed to not make this same mistake twice - but I see no reason that I should live in fear of a for profit "rehab" facility keeping me longer than needed based on a falsified test - and believe me, it keeps me up at night sometimes.
Anyone have experience with Project Chesapeake?
This place is worthless. Group meetings via Zoom! I was 3 weeks away from being done, no problems whatsoever the entire 23 weeks. I was told out of nowhere this past week that I was discharged for not attending the group meetings. Only, they are wrong and the only way I can prove to them that I have in fact been present during the meetings is to recite to them word for word conversations I remember from the meetings, certain things and stories the moderater said. I would only know this if I were present! I tried telling them this, it didn't matter. I figure it has something to do with their rent coming up, they can't have a self pay patient get out successfully! ... Enrollment must be low, so their answer is to mess with the livlihoods of people who don't have options. ... Greed, disguised as "help" ... Check out their google reviews and see what past employers have to say! ... I think it's time for an investigation!!