Proper school attire

How should Public school kids dress?

• School uniforms! This is the best answer!

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • No uniforms but standards need to be defined and enforced

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • Let 'em wear anything! They are just expressing themselves!

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I think anyone who answered #3 should give up their kids

Votes: 18 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bdh802

Bob
There is a thread under News and Current Events regarding a story of students being suspended for dressing improperly at school. I thought this would also make a good poll.

greyhound

bdh802 said:
There is a thread under News and Current Events regarding a story of students being suspended for dressing improperly at school. I thought this would also make a good poll.

Where is the poll?

alex

I voted for uniforms because it is the easiest way all around...

1 - it is so much easier to get the kids dressed and out the door each am
2 - depending on where you shop it is cheaper than buying the latest fashion
3 - there is less peer pressure to have the latest A&F shirt, etc.

It does cost a little more beause you still need to have play/hang out clothes for your kids. I lucked out when my kids wore uniforms because it was navy paints and white shirts. Simple enough to buy at Wal-mart, Target, etc.

B

Bronwyn

My son went to a uniform "optional" school. The shirts were navy blue and the pants were tan. I couldn't afford the uniforms from the school catalog, but I went to Walmart and bought several sets of Navy blue shirts and Tan pants. All they were missing was the school logo. My son and I agreed that fridays he could wear whatever he wanted as long as it was tasteful. I think this made life much simpler!

bdh802

Bob
kom526 said:
Uniforms far everyone. :yay:

Uniforms are cool. You never have to worry about what to wear. Military and Police wear uniforms with pride. Why not encourage kids to wear uniforms in school to show some pride? Oh, for the guys....Women love uniforms.

Tina2001aniT

My kiddo goes to a uniform optional pubblic school, and I love it. Monday's and Wednesday's are "uniform days" they encourage the kids to wear "uniforms" these days. There uniforms are pretty lax, the color options are Khaki or navy blue for the pants/skirts/jumpers and white, navy blue or teal for the tops. There is no catalog to order from or anything, just anything in these colors works. My daughter LOVES to wear uniforms, she looks forward to "uniform days", I keep waiting for her to grow out of it, but she is in 3rd grade and she still loves it! Friday's at her school are also "school pride" days, in which the kids wear either a uniform or a school t-shirt, etc.

This works well for us, as Monday, Wednesday and Friday the kiddo is basically in a uniform, without the normal distraction of clothes issues and still gets to express her individuality on tuesday and thursdays..

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
I never liked the idea of school uniforms(at least in high school). I just think it's wierd to have everyone dressed the same. People lose character without expressing themselves by what they wear.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
vanbells said:
I never liked the idea of school uniforms(at least in high school). I just think it's wierd to have everyone dressed the same. People lose character without expressing themselves by what they wear.

I liked the last part of your statement..but I think expressing themselves can still be done with uniforms and other venues while in school.

County_Boy

Nicole_in_somd said:
I liked the last part of your statement..but I think expressing themselves can still be done with uniforms and other venues while in school.

I agree
I wore uniforms in grade school and high school and believe me there
are plenty other ways to express your individuality.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Proper school attire 09-04-2006 12:38 AM Look at poll results. What is weird about everyone dressing the same? "Expressing themselves," oh, how can you go there? Please don't have kids.

Cool. I got negative rep for expressing myself. :blahblah:
I'm still looking at the poll results thought. No uniforms is still ahead though. I guess the person that left me neg rep can't understand numbers?

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

vanbells said:
School is for LEARNING, not expressing yourself. Get an education then express yourself.

greyhound

vanbells said:

Definition of Character:

Moral or ethical strength.
A description of a person's attributes, traits, or abilities.

What does clothing have to do with this. We wear uniforms everyday in our lives. Jobs require certain dress. My children attended a school that had optional uniforms. This school also was awarded the status of "National School of Character". If you would like to do some research, read a couple of books by Thomas Lickona.

Mikeinsmd

vanbells said:
Proper school attire 09-04-2006 12:38 AM Look at poll results. What is weird about everyone dressing the same? "Expressing themselves," oh, how can you go there? Please don't have kids.

Cool. I got negative rep for expressing myself. :blahblah:
I'm still looking at the poll results thought. No uniforms is still ahead though. I guess the person that left me neg rep can't understand numbers?
Van, look closely at the poll results. Out of 73 voters, you and only one other think kids should wear what they want while most believe there should be either uniforms or at the very least standards of what can be worn. :yay:

bdh802

Bob
Mikeinsmd said:
Van, look closely at the poll results. Out of 73 voters, you and only one other think kids should wear what they want while most believe there should be either uniforms or at the very least standards of what can be worn. :yay:

I had a parent tell me a while back, as an excuse for the way her daughter was dressing, that she was just expressing herself. To me, that meant that mommy and daddy used this term because it was easier than trying to raise their daughter correctly. You know, like enforcing rules around the house, etc.

I see the kids who really dress freaky as looking for attention because they are not getting it at home.

Epressing themselves, My a**!

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Mikeinsmd said:

That's odd. I swear I voted for "No uniforms but standards need to be defined and enforced" and "I think anyone who answered #3 should give up their kids."

I just think students don't need to be wearing anything too absurd or inappropriate. I don't think uniforms should be mandatory in the public school systems. Optional is ok in my book. :howdy:

Last edited: