Question about Local Schools

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
scroll down to high schools and click on assessments.
St. Mary's:
2008 Maryland Report Card: Saint Mary's County
Calvert:
2008 Maryland Report Card: Calvert County
And here's the percentage of students meeting the requirements of the High School Assessment test. Beginning with the 2009 graduating class,
students must pass or receive a combined minimum score on the four HSAs to graduate. The tests are given in English 10, Algebra/Data Analysis, Biology and Government.
HSA test results data -- baltimoresun.com

Good info.

Thank you!

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Just say NO to ground zero...

Part of St. Mary's is in the hazardous zone for the nuke plant... I figured you would know that....

The gas plant supplies some of St. Mary's County too.... I also figured you would know that....

Our schools are better because we put the money in the budget to hire better teachers.... and they know how to teach to the test...

Calvert has a higher cost of living tho...

The commute across the TJ is not so bad most of the time... I only got stuck on it a few times in 10 years...

Calvert and Montgomery Counties battle for first place in the quality of education question.... and the traffic is much worse in Montgomery County...

I'm perfectly aware of the boundaries and that Saint Mary's has some of it. And I chose not live within the 10 mile radius.

Are We at Risk from the Calvert Nuclear Power Plant in an Emergency? - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

You can consider these things as assets if you choose, I tend to think of them as liabilities.

:popcorn:

DallasRed

I'd like to see what data you all base your call that Calvert Schools are so much better than Saint Mary's. Or is this just an opinion thing?

And let's face it the Solomon's bridge sucks and the Benedict bridge is just another two lane bridge on what a 10 mile road, which makes it an even bigger joke.

Not to mention you've got the nightmare nuke plant, the liquified natural gas terminal, and that nasty coal power plant in Benedict fouling up the air.

No thanks, we'll take Saint Mary's, and you can have all that crap.

:whistle:

10 miles of a two lane road YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angelbaby

So are you saying ST Mary's schools are that terrible?:confused:

I will give you an example. We moved from St.mary's to Calvert about 9 years ago. 2 of my 3 children were school age. Both my school age children were honor roll students in St.Mary's. When they came to Calvert they struggled and their first report cards reflected it. They had C's and D's. The curriculum was more challenging in my opinion. My oldest child had been placed in an advanced reading group in St.Mary's. She was getting D's in reading in Calvert because she was so far behind the other kids. Go figure that one. It took them a full school year to catch up to the other kids. I was devastated when we first moved. They have since made leaps and bounds. Again this is my personal experience.

Dont look at Charles County schools, other than north point hs, were in da hood.:killingme

You are not a tard, just a moron. :coffee:

It depends on the school, I would not send my dog to North Point... my boy goes to Milton Somers in LaPlata and they are awesome. :yay: Just depends on the school.

Just check out greatschool.com

foodcritic

Still out of state..And need help before I decide on a house.

What about these schools?

Greenview Knolls
Esperanza
Great Mills

Are these in a good school district? If not which schools would you recommend?

Also Which High School do you like best, Great Mills or Leonardtown?

Thanks for you help : )

The difference between Great Mills and Leonardtown is like cold and hot...:killingme

Great Mills-GM is quite possibly the worst school in the tri-county area...

Leonardtown is much better.........however it is possible for little johhny/javon to live in GM and get shipped up to Leonardtown because he has special considerations...

Do your self a favor...avoid the social promotion, poor edukation, sex, drugs and drama and send them to private school or Home school....:popcorn:

crabluver

Do your self a favor...avoid the social promotion, poor edukation, sex, drugs and drama and send them to private school or Home school....

Unfortunately, the private schools have the same problems as public schools. I have family and friends kids that have attended private schools. The problem is, is it's not being "told" like public schools. But believe me, my step son also who went to private schools has told me they are definitely not up to the standards people give them. Drugs, sex, parties, etc...go on

Beavers5

I will give you an example. We moved from St.mary's to Calvert about 9 years ago. 2 of my 3 children were school age. Both my school age children were honor roll students in St.Mary's. When they came to Calvert they struggled and their first report cards reflected it. They had C's and D's. The curriculum was more challenging in my opinion. My oldest child had been placed in an advanced reading group in St.Mary's. She was getting D's in reading in Calvert because she was so far behind the other kids. Go figure that one. It took them a full school year to catch up to the other kids. I was devastated when we first moved. They have since made leaps and bounds. Again this is my personal experience.

We had a very similar experience. My son was not learning anything in one of the "better" St. Mary's County schools. When I took my concerns to the teacher and eventually the principal, they couldn't figure out why I was upset since he had straight A's. In third grade, they were "training" the kids to write paragraph responses to typical MSA questions; but had never bothered covering parts of speech. The kids I tutored in the class, had no clue what a noun was; but were expected to write 5 sentence paragraphs.

Since the school was no help at all, I tried working with my son after school. He'd get home at 4:30 and have to do 2-3 coloring pages for his school homework (third grade), then I'd try to supplement enough to get him to what he should be learning. After a month of that, I pulled him out to homeschool. We've homeschooled just over a year and he is now testing at a sixth grade level on national tests (he's technically in the fourth grade).

Good luck with your move and finding something that works for you and your kids.

P

PinkyDinkyDo

Leaps and bounds??? Wasn't your son the one that sat at some light holding a sign about stealing from the school. We will see him in the news in a few years and you saying he was trying to better his life.

angelbaby

Leaps and bounds??? Wasn't your son the one that sat at some light holding a sign about stealing from the school. We will see him in the news in a few years and you saying he was trying to better his life.

Um my son is the youngest one.:smack: He wasnt in school yet. What does him stealing have to do with the grades he gets anyway? You are such a nice person to bring that up. :rolleyes: You offer up alot of opinions when it comes to children on here. Maybe you should focus on your own and leave ours alone.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Still out of state..And need help before I decide on a house.

What about these schools?

Greenview Knolls
Esperanza
Great Mills

Are these in a good school district? If not which schools would you recommend?

Also Which High School do you like best, Great Mills or Leonardtown?

Thanks for you help : )

I have kids in GVKES and Esperanza. No major complaints. At the middle school level, I wish the teachers would keep the Home Access Center up to date a little better but I do know that it's not very user friendly and the teachers don't like the interface very much. Greenview Knolls is very community oriented. There's a lot of parent involvement.

tercel95

I am going to post my personal experience here with the three different high schools I went to.

I went to Sherwood high in Montgomery county and hated it. The school had 2200+ students and was ridiculously crowded. The problem with some Mo county schools is that the demographic in that area attracts a lot of smart kids that send the standardized testing scores up. What the test scores don't show is the serious amount of crime and violence that is pervasive throughout the school. While the curriculum was competitive in advanced classes, it was a dangerous environment to be in overall...

I went to Leonard Hall in St. Mary's county (private school). That school was a joke and was a total waste of time and money...

I graduated from Patuxent High school in Lusby and only have good things to say about the school. The school was run well and the faculty was excellent. There were so many opportunities for extracurricular activities and AP classes. The curriculum was extremely competitive and there were a lot of smart kids that went there.

My main point is that the worst schools in St. Mary's or Calvert are still very good schools. I know plenty of people that went to Great Mills and walked away with a great education without ever falling victim to any kind of violence...

I don't even want to get into why the private schools in this area are a waste of money...

stylin

You are not a tard, just a moron. :coffee:

It depends on the school, I would not send my dog to North Point... my boy goes to Milton Somers in LaPlata and they are awesome. :yay: Just depends on the school.

Just check out greatschool.com

All the schools in the tri county area are pretty good...it depends on you, as a parent to be involved. I have friends in all 3 countys and they are all involved with their children's education. Schools in Charles are primarily black and that is what most of the people on this forum have a problem with. One school, you should NOT send your child to...is Mt. Hope, the principle is horrilbe....that is why I had to pull my child....General Smallwood has a new principle and has these kids in check.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Dont look at Charles County schools, other than north point hs, were in da hood.:killingme

What an ignorant statement. :rolleyes:

You came in to a thread about St. Mary's County schools just to get that cheap shot in?

B

Beaver-Cleaver

The public schools in the area are very good...all of them... Great Mills is the "worst" school in the county but that really isn't saying much. It is still better than schools in Charles county, PG county and most of Montgomery county...

:otter::dork::shortbus: