question from a confused pregnant woman

C

CalvertNewbie

Ok I am having issues lol I am pregnant and didn't find out untill pretty far into my pregnancy. I am either 31 or 35 weeks along but I'm not sure cuz my lmp was in February which would make me due in November, but a sonogram said that I am due in December. Now obviously it isn't too big of a difference and the baby will come when he is ready BUT I have a history of having small babies and I feel like my body is preparing for labor and the doctors are still assuming I am 31 weeks. So they are talking about sending me to DC to deliver cuz st marys doesn't have a nic unit. I honestly believe I am due in November. So my question is how do I convince my doctor to double check my due date so that I won't be delivering a full term baby in DC when I don't have to? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I am really freakin out about this and was wondering if anyone else had this problem... Thanks.

Honestly, I'd rather be safe than possibly sorry. If I was the least bit concerned about possibly needing a NICU, I wouldn't have issue with going to a different hospital. What matters is that the baby gets the care that he/she needs after being born. Sure, going to St. Marys would be a lot more convenient than going all the way to DC. But why take the chance if the docs feel that a hospital in DC can provide better care?

I chose to have my little boy at AAMC in Annapolis instead of Calvert simply because Calvert doesn't have a NICU and I had a higher risk pregnancy. Luckily, I had a great pregnancy and a healthy baby. I was 100% less stressed knowing that the NICU was down the hall if something went wrong. I didn't want him to be flown out while I was stuck in Calvert, separated from him, if there was an issue at birth.

Good luck to you!

sockgirl77

Not 100% sure. Her first one was a little over 8 lbs and needed 1 week in nicu at childrens. If it were me I would rather have a healthy large baby than a smaller baby that needed to be at childrens.

I've seen 12 pounders birthed vaginally so that's just crap. Sounds like someone just wanted to get the pregnancy over quickly. :shrug:

C

CalvertNewbie

I've seen 12 pounders birthed vaginally so that's just crap. Sounds like someone just wanted to get the pregnancy over quickly. :shrug:

:yeahthat: But I can relate.

I was beginning to get scared that my son was going to be ridiculously huge so I asked, "when is it ok to induce me, just how big are you gonna let him get"? They told me, "as big as he can, we deliver 12 pound babies all the time". :faint:

As it turned out, he was 7 lbs, 12 ozs. But they were estimating 9 lbs at 37 wks. Boy, were they off (thank God, lol).

lovinmaryland

That is what I said from the get go!

Even w/ my really high BP readings and bad swelling they didnt want to induce me that early and those are medical reasons they could have... not I dont want to have a big baby :rolleyes:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
:yeahthat: But I can relate.

I was beginning to get scared that my son was going to be ridiculously huge so I asked, "when is it ok to induce me, just how big are you gonna let him get"? They told me, "as big as he can, we deliver 12 pound babies all the time". :faint:

As it turned out, he was 7 lbs, 12 ozs. But they were estimating 9 lbs at 37 wks. Boy, were they off (thank God, lol).

My god I hope that's my case this time around. Dr. said when all is said and done we're looking at an 8lber.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
According to the doctor I am 31 weeks but according to my due date I am 36 weeks. Even if I carried to my November due date and he was full term the doctor would still assume that it is premature. My daughter was small but perfectly healthy. I just don't want to end up being 4 weeks overdue. I'm going to attempt to talk to my doctor again but its probably too late to find another one and my insurance sucks.... So I don't know... Thanks for all of your responses.

Gas and a baby kicking do not feel the same.