Question from my Co-worker

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Katie said:
OH..NO shots..nothing? :smack: She won't ever be able to do trail rides, go anyplace, but just ride at her home.
Basically. Katie, make sure when you e-mail her, you tell her about shots and stuff and the trail rides. I know nothing about that stuff, but she needs to make sure that horse has shots, I'm pretty sure. She was asking about riding with people, so fill her in on it, but be gentle with her.

fredsaid2

BS Gal said:
I can tell you this. She didn't have the horse vet-checked first, even though I told her to, based on what I have seen on here. She doesn't have a farrier, she doesn't plan on giving it any shots or having it be seen by a vet. Does that piss me off? Yep. I watched the horse threads for weeks before she bought it and asked some questions and asked her some questions and gave her the advice I read on here. Basically, she's bought a horse for $3,000, unchecked by a vet, not having any luck riding it, bought a CHEAP saddle on line (like less than $200) and is whining about the horse. So, I'm done with trying to help her. I tried to tell her what you all said, but she wouldn't listen. You know, it's one thing to have a horse when you're a kid and you have it at a stable or ranch, like I did ..it's another thing to have one on your own at your own property. If I EVER decide to ride again, I would lease.

Leasing is a great way to go!

I'm surprised she doesn't plan to have regular vet checks and hasn't set up with a farrier. I remember you saying she's not new to this. Buying the horse is always the least expensive part of the venture. Everything that follows will give you empty wallet syndrome. :biggrin: Let's hope she changes her viewpoint soon.

K

Katie

BS Gal said:
Basically. Katie, make sure when you e-mail her, you tell her about shots and stuff and the trail rides. I know nothing about that stuff, but she needs to make sure that horse has shots, I'm pretty sure. She was asking about riding with people, so fill her in on it, but be gentle with her.

I will. You know I am good with handling stuff like that.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Katie said:
I will. You know I am good with handling stuff like that.
:huggy: You are a sweetheart. Everyone has been helpful. I'd tell her about the forums, but she might see something I don't want her to see. Basically, what I get from her is: "Can you ask those people you know :blah:. So I do. I hate to be in the middle of it, but I hate to see an animal not treated well. I think she has bit off more than she can chew. :clueless:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
fredsaid2 said:
Leasing is a great way to go!

I'm surprised she doesn't plan to have regular vet checks and hasn't set up with a farrier. I remember you saying she's not new to this. Buying the horse is always the least expensive part of the venture. Everything that follows will give you empty wallet syndrome. :biggrin: Let's hope she changes her viewpoint soon.
She is clueless. Thinks she can just have a horse and let it be. I TRIED to tell her about everything I read from the horse forums. She doesn't think it needs shots or anything like that. I asked her about rabies shots. She said the horse didn't need them......It really has upset me. I had a horse way back, but the vet came to the ranch and did all that stuff. She doesn't think it is necessary. :banghead:

Loper

Animal Poor!
BS Gal said:
She is clueless. Thinks she can just have a horse and let it be. I TRIED to tell her about everything I read from the horse forums. She doesn't think it needs shots or anything like that. I asked her about rabies shots. She said the horse didn't need them......It really has upset me. I had a horse way back, but the vet came to the ranch and did all that stuff. She doesn't think it is necessary. :banghead:

IT IS NECESSARY and she needs to be told this! No gentle way around it! The horse needs to be checked by a Vet, it needs to have shots, and it needs to have it's feet done by a farrier every 6-8 weeks.

I'm curious now on what conditions she is keeping the horse in? Please don't tell me she has it roaming in her back yard? Is her property set up to house a horse?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Loper said:
IT IS NECESSARY and she needs to be told this! No gentle way around it! The horse needs to be checked by a Vet, it needs to have shots, and it needs to have it's feet done by a farrier every 6-8 weeks.

I'm curious now on what conditions she is keeping the horse in? Please don't tell me she has it roaming in her back yard? Is her property set up to house a horse?
She has a barn and a field. It is free to come and go into the barn. Her property is set up for a horse. I'm sure she'll do fine with the people on here that are e-mailing her. She'll become more "aware" of what needs to be done. I'm keeping tabs on her.

K

Katie

BS Gal said:
She has a barn and a field. It is free to come and go into the barn. Her property is set up for a horse. I'm sure she'll do fine with the people on here that are e-mailing her. She'll become more "aware" of what needs to be done. I'm keeping tabs on her.

I know that when I had a horse growing up I had no idea how much care was involved with things like shots, worming, teeth, and other things. Which reminds me Ashton gets his teeth floated on the 20th, and he is getting his sheath cleaned. He is just going to LOVE me, getting it from both ends!

Loper

Animal Poor!
BS Gal said:

Does she have any type of companion animal with the horse? (i.e. a goat, donkey, obviously not another horse) I thought ST Mary's county had an ordinance about herd animals (which a horse is considered to be) being alone? Anyone? I could be wrong, but I thought a horse can not be kept by itself, it has to have either another horse or some other companion animal?

mingiz

Horse Poor
I don't think SMC has a law as that. I had 1 horse here for about 8 yrs before I got another. He was fine with it. He did leave the farm on a regular basis for riding and such. They can survive happily alone but perfer a buddy. :howdy:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Loper said:
Does she have any type of companion animal with the horse? (i.e. a goat, donkey, obviously not another horse) I thought ST Mary's county had an ordinance about herd animals (which a horse is considered to be) being alone? Anyone? I could be wrong, but I thought a horse can not be kept by itself, it has to have either another horse or some other companion animal?
She has two goats.

Loper

Animal Poor!
mingiz said:
I don't think SMC has a law as that. I had 1 horse here for about 8 yrs before I got another. He was fine with it. He did leave the farm on a regular basis for riding and such. They can survive happily alone but perfer a buddy. :howdy:

yeah mine couldn't :killingme they all hate just being seperated in different pastures, even though they can see the others and sniff noses most times. but I did see something on SMC ordinance one time when I was looking for the definination of a shelter about two years ago. Now if it is enforced, I don't know, but I can't seem to find it now. The can't have just one rule, :killingme which I keep using against the hubby when we aquire a new horse... :lalala: don't tell him different :lmao:

K

Katie

Loper said:
yeah mine couldn't :killingme they all hate just being seperated in different pastures, even though they can see the others and sniff noses most times. but I did see something on SMC ordinance one time when I was looking for the definination of a shelter about two years ago. Now if it is enforced, I don't know, but I can't seem to find it now. The can't have just one rule, :killingme which I keep using against the hubby when we aquire a new horse... :lalala: don't tell him different :lmao:

I am lucky I have just one horse. Ashton keeps me busy.

S

saddlesore

BS Gal said:

Gentle?? :eyebrow: I'm about ready to slap her upside the head! :smack:

S

saddlesore

Loper said:
but I did see something on SMC ordinance one time when I was looking for the definination of a shelter about two years ago. Now if it is enforced, I don't know, but I can't seem to find it now. The can't have just one rule, :killingme which I keep using against the hubby when we aquire a new horse... :lalala: don't tell him different :lmao:

I love this ordinance (whether it exists or not)! I intend to make full use of this with SO. :evil:
Thanks for the tip! :yay:

S

saddlesore

Hopefully, with all of you making visits and giving her [gentle] advice, she will be open to learning and this poor horse will survive. Bless all of you for taking the time to help out. With that many eyes and ears taking an interest, I'm optimistic about this having a happy ending.

But I could still throttle her!

MorganLover

BS Gal said:
I can tell you this. She didn't have the horse vet-checked first, even though I told her to, based on what I have seen on here. She doesn't have a farrier, she doesn't plan on giving it any shots or having it be seen by a vet. Does that piss me off? Yep. I watched the horse threads for weeks before she bought it and asked some questions and asked her some questions and gave her the advice I read on here. Basically, she's bought a horse for $3,000, unchecked by a vet, not having any luck riding it, bought a CHEAP saddle on line (like less than $200) and is whining about the horse. So, I'm done with trying to help her. I tried to tell her what you all said, but she wouldn't listen. You know, it's one thing to have a horse when you're a kid and you have it at a stable or ranch, like I did ..it's another thing to have one on your own at your own property. If I EVER decide to ride again, I would lease.

How on earth can she justify spending that kind of money on the horse and not giving it at least the basics. I wish i had 3000.00 bucks to spend on a horse. it seems to me that this girl wanted the horse to say she has a horse, not to have it as a family member, or even a pet really. If things get too bad, call the human society on her, if she has 3,000.00 to spend on a horse she has the money to pay for the proper shots and farrier work.

covekat

I just wanted to let you all know that I went out and met this horse today... Lay your worries to rest, and dont lose sleep over this one...

She is not a first time horse owner.

She has a beautiful new barn, and nice board fencing, horse is happy and extremely healthy and well taken care of.

She will be getting the farrier out, and also the vet for vaccinations.

We worked on lunging and then I rode this mare... very well behaved, just needs a few reminder lessons...

All in all I think she made a great choice, and if I had been there when she looked at this mare I would have told her to buy her. (I was supposed to go with her that day and couldnt make it).

As far as the concerns about the tack... the saddle did not fit properly, so she is going to get another... but it is a nice saddle for the money... not every nice saddle has to cost hundreds of dollars!

I was very surprised to read some of the comments... I thought this was a place for people to help one another, not be rude and make hurtful remarks. Everyone at one time was a first or even second time horse owner, and has asked for help. It's really ashame she wont feel comfortable coming here for advice.

Last edited:
K

Katie

Woohoo...

She emailed me earlier the other day I just hadn't had time. She seems very nice. I will plan on going to see her sometime this weekend.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Katie said:
Woohoo...

She emailed me earlier the other day I just hadn't had time. She seems very nice. I will plan on going to see her sometime this weekend.
Thank you. :huggy: