Question in search of an answer....

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Dutch6 said:
Once I get this modem replaced I'll be shutting it down at the power strip. :yay: Thanks guys.

Dunno if you have any choices in your modems or not. I have cable and there is a simple button on the top of it I can press to kill throughput. Not a slide switch but a big push button

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Jeff said:
Dunno if you have any choices in your modems or not. I have cable and there is a simple button on the top of it I can press to kill throughput. Not a slide switch but a big push button
They have a couple models but I don't know if I get a choice. Of course that's not to say I don't already have the best one. :lol:

rack'm

Jaded
Jeff said:

Ahh yes, the good ole suspend button........:lol:

I found out what that button did after hitting by accident and losing connectivity. :lmao:

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
Dutch6 said:
I have DSL. The modem I have has an on off switch. Should the modem be turned off each and every time you turn off the computer? I turn mine off mainly to save electricity. Is there any other good reason to shut it down?

Really there is no logical reason to turn it off unless u are looking to save 35 cents on your electric bill.

Also if you are using a ISP supplied modem you may miss critical software upgrades by powering it off...... :coffee:

Pyro

Blah
modem can be on or off .. makes no difference except every time u turn it off more than likely your IP (Internet Protocol - your "id" for the net) will change so that's a plus for security .. but then it wouldn't really matter because u turn off the pc .. the pc can stay on, and the light on the ethernet stays on because of something called "network wake-up" in which the computer can be waken up by certain software/hardware at a specific time and also to keep alive a connection in between modem and comp to save the IP if it's static .. as far as hackers, if u got a good antivirus/trojan/firewall more than likely u won't have problems. But then even with the comp off .. hackers may breach your e-mail and steal your info so no need to hack a computer ;) but the comp has something called "sleep" or "hibernate" modes in which things are put down .. i leave my 5 comps and 2 servers on all the time .. but i have 2 routers and both servers are linux and they're safer :)

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Pyro said:
modem can be on or off .. makes no difference except every time u turn it off more than likely your IP (Internet Protocol - your "id" for the net) will change so that's a plus for security .. but then it wouldn't really matter because u turn off the pc .. the pc can stay on, and the light on the ethernet stays on because of something called "network wake-up" in which the computer can be waken up by certain software/hardware at a specific time and also to keep alive a connection in between modem and comp to save the IP if it's static .. as far as hackers, if u got a good antivirus/trojan/firewall more than likely u won't have problems. But then even with the comp off .. hackers may breach your e-mail and steal your info so no need to hack a computer ;) but the comp has something called "sleep" or "hibernate" modes in which things are put down .. i leave my 5 comps and 2 servers on all the time .. but i have 2 routers and both servers are linux and they're safer :)

I leave all of mine up all the time as well. Never had any issues thus far.

Pyro

Blah
yea you shouldn't have unless someone has something against u .. even so .. the hackers have calmed down a bit i see nowadays .. "chillout era" :))))

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Dutch6 said:
I have DSL. The modem I have has an on off switch. Should the modem be turned off each and every time you turn off the computer? I turn mine off mainly to save electricity. Is there any other good reason to shut it down?

If you turn off your computer, the cable modem is in inactive with your Internet connection. Don't need to turn off your modem. :doh: If you turn off your cable modem and leave your pc on? Still no threat to your pc. No Internet connection.
Your pc and cable modem don't burn #### as far as electricty. No worry's.
I leave my laptop on 3-4 days at a time. Turning it on and off on a daily basis puts a lot of stress on the hardrive.

Get a good virus scan and you can leave your pc up online with no issues.

I use NOD32.. :yay:

Pyro

Blah
unixpirate said:
If you turn off your computer, the cable modem is in inactive with your Internet connection. Don't need to turn off your modem. :doh: If you turn off your cable modem and leave your pc on? Still no threat to your pc. No Internet connection.
Your pc and cable modem don't burn #### as far as electricty. No worry's.
I leave my laptop on 3-4 days at a time. Turning it on and off on a daily basis puts a lot of stress on the hardrive.

Get a good virus scan and you can leave your pc up online with no issues.

I use NOD32.. :yay:
besides the hard drive .. it messes up the capacitors on the motherboard, the power source ... turning them off is like cigarettes for humans :)) but then again try to keep it cool :D too hot and it goes "bye-bye"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dutch6 said:
Should the modem be turned off each and every time you turn off the computer?

Is there any other good reason to shut it down?
No. And no.

Dutchy, I need some wings. When's the next time you're going to be slinging them over my way? I miss my Wen. :frown:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Pyro said:
besides the hard drive .. it messes up the capacitors on the motherboard, the power source ... turning them off is like cigarettes for humans :)) but then again try to keep it cool :D too hot and it goes "bye-bye"

:yeah: :popcorn:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
vraiblonde said:
No. And no.

Dutchy, I need some wings. When's the next time you're going to be slinging them over my way? I miss my Wen. :frown:

You age awful fast

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jeff said:
Whew. Phillip Morris should hir you as Spokesperson for Non Smoking campaign.
IRL I am gorgeous and a testament to smoking 2 packs a day to keep your youthful beauty.

Really. Ask anyone. Except Bob. Don't ask him.

BUT if a 100 year old woman can still light her cig from her birthday candles, that's a hell of a woman :yay:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
vraiblonde said:
IRL I am gorgeous and a testament to smoking 2 packs a day to keep your youthful beauty.

Really. Ask anyone. Except Bob. Don't ask him.

BUT if a 100 year old woman can still light her cig from her birthday candles, that's a hell of a woman :yay:

My grandmother smoked unfiltered Camels. She died at 92.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jeff said:
My grandmother smoked unfiltered Camels. She died at 92.
That can't be possible. Everyone knows that smoking makes you die immediately after you stick the first one between your lips. Ask the Montgomery County council.

buddy999

It's Great to be American
Dutch6 said:
Is that possible with the computer shut down?

That shouldn't be possible unless someone has figured out how to turn your machine on remotely. To my knowlege, that still isn't possible.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
vraiblonde said:
That can't be possible. Everyone knows that smoking makes you die immediately after you stick the first one between your lips. Ask the Montgomery County council.

I smoke cigars. George Burns got his vitamins from 'em