Question...

MissPrissy

Does anyone have any cheap and easy ways to put weight on your horse for the winter other than hay and extra grain? I was going to try the weight supplements but they are expensive?

Any suggestions?

Iv4girlz

WE USE TO USE SWELLED CORN FOR THE HOGS, BUT DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL WORK FOR HORSES. 55 GAL. BARREL FILLED HALFWAY WITH CORN, THEN FILL THE REST WITH WATER:howdy:

S

Sunkist

WE USE TO USE SWELLED CORN FOR THE HOGS, BUT DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL WORK FOR HORSES. 55 GAL. BARREL FILLED HALFWAY WITH CORN, THEN FILL THE REST WITH WATER:howdy:

do not do this for horses they can not digest corn! Sharp edges on corn can also cut the insides of a horses throat and cause small bleeds and several small bleeds can be a bad bad thing!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
do not do this for horses they can not digest corn! Sharp edges on corn can also cut the insides of a horses throat and cause small bleeds and several small bleeds can be a bad bad thing![/QUOTE

what you save in feed you will spend on vet bills..

Hay hay hay in the winter time..keep that gut busy..beet pulp is a hay replacer..it is rufage. Corn or soy oil too..Soy can be bought at the Hen Yard..Good luck they should be FAT NOW going into winter not thin,,

devinej

make sure you are feeding a high fat feed. i am loving blue seal sentinel performance l/s, it has 12% fat. super digestible. ours are doing great on it at woodbury.
Rice bran has a lot of fat in in to help with weight.
beet pulp is mostly fiber, not much fat at all, so is good if your horse doesn't get enough hay or grass, but wont put weight on too quickly.
i've used smart gain from smart pak and fat cat for weight gain. not too expensive.
Horses should eat more hay than most people think. your average horse should eat at least half a bale of hay per day Ask the Experts: How Much Hay Does an Adult Horse Need?

make sure your horse's teeth are in good shape. sharp edges and points will make your horse not want to eat properly.

adding high fat oils to the food, 1/2 cup or so per feeding helps.

Last edited:

devinej

I like alfalfa cubes. i have fed them for years. very little waist. if you are worried about choking, you can soak them, but i've never had an issue.

MissPrissy

My horse that i am trying to put weight on is blind so when I throw hay in the feild my other horse who can see will stand in the middle of the pile of hay and hog it all so my blind horse can't get any.

I may actually try the alfalfa cubes. I am just so afraid to try new things. Never want to hurt my horses. I've watched people use beat pulp and never saw much weight gain. But if you guys recommend the alfalfa cubes then might as well try it right? :1bdz:

devinej

That's tricky. Could you separate him to eat his food? Also, blanketting him may help, if he's warm, he will burn less calories.

MissPrissy

That's tricky. Could you separate him to eat his food? Also, blanketting him may help, if he's warm, he will burn less calories.

Every morning and night when she is fed I give her two flakes of her own alfalfa and orchid mix hay to eat before I put her back out but I havnt seen much weight gain yet. I would blanket her but she is growing her first winter coat! :) I would hate to blanket her so soon and miss out on her growing her own coat. Ya know? I have also thought of keeping her in at night with her own hay but she has a history of casting so I keep her out in the feild as much as I can.
The alfalfa cubes do seem like a good idea seeing the situation I am in.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Every morning and night when she is fed I give her two flakes of her own alfalfa and orchid mix hay to eat before I put her back out but I havnt seen much weight gain yet. I would blanket her but she is growing her first winter coat! :) I would hate to blanket her so soon and miss out on her growing her own coat. Ya know? I have also thought of keeping her in at night with her own hay but she has a history of casting so I keep her out in the feild as much as I can.
The alfalfa cubes do seem like a good idea seeing the situation I am in.

daylight hours have more to do with growing coat then blanketing but I like you wait...I would try to stall her more if she is comfortable with that..or spread your hay out like lots so she can find a pile when she is hungry and the other horses are not chasing her off

MissPrissy

daylight hours have more to do with growing coat then blanketing but I like you wait...I would try to stall her more if she is comfortable with that..or spread your hay out like lots so she can find a pile when she is hungry and the other horses are not chasing her off

Since she is blind she can't see the changing daylight hours. She has never been able to grow a winter coat before so this is the first time this is happening. We think she is growing it more cause she can sense and feel the changing weather.
She is in a pasture with only my other horse who is a fatty! I will definatly start spreading out the hay more, that could help. :)

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Since she is blind she can't see the changing daylight hours. She has never been able to grow a winter coat before so this is the first time this is happening. We think she is growing it more cause she can sense and feel the changing weather.
She is in a pasture with only my other horse who is a fatty! I will definatly start spreading out the hay more, that could help. :)

LOL never thought of that beep beep wonder how that works for her then...I need to chew on this one...

fredsaid2

You could section off a small paddock for her to alleviate the hay access issue.

Blanketing shouldn't keep her from growing a coat. I will say I don't know about the blindness. I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue.

fullcircle

Corn oil, cheap and easy plus it does wonders for their coats. You can get a big container of it at the feed mill or just get a bottle of it at food lion. That always did the trick for my OTTB's during the winter.

lovemyber135

i feel alfalfa cubes are a good choice twice a day...and beet pulp is also good...they both work well together i think instead of using weight supplements...but i think omegaton also works with beet pulp and alfalfa cubes!..just my insight :)

C

campinmutt

I am sure the hair growth is not because she sees the light but because of what is being absorbed from the sunlight...they have already decided what type of coat they need so putting a blanket on now...even if just at night will not change her hair coat.

they do make alfalfa pellets too if it takes her to long to eat the cubes.good luck and hope she gets fat !!

MissPrissy

I am sure the hair growth is not because she sees the light but because of what is being absorbed from the sunlight...they have already decided what type of coat they need so putting a blanket on now...even if just at night will not change her hair coat.

they do make alfalfa pellets too if it takes her to long to eat the cubes.good luck and hope she gets fat !!

Hmm, I've always been told that it was because she can't register the day's getting shorter. Every other person I have talked to that have blind horses say the same thing. And this is the first time that she has ever started to grow fur for the winter. lol.

She has a history of chocking so maybe the alfalfa pellets could work too! Do they sell those at Tractor Supply or Southern States? I will definalty go look today. Mabye those will be better for her to get down. :)

:starcat: