Question...

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I hope the alfalfa works too. I bought her a lot of that hay so it better work!!! lol :)

Two flakes of hay twice a day may not be enough hay. It doesn't all have to be alfalfa though. You can mix in another high quality grass or Timothy hay.

A high fat, high fiber- low starch, low sugar diet is good for just about every horse. Definitely talk to your vet and/or equine nutritionist.

I like Nutrena Compete, BOSS, and oil. Oh and lots and lots of hay.

Be careful looking at senior and other "complete" feeds these are sometimes designed for horses with specific needs like if they can't eat hay, and feeding them to the wrong horse can actually have adverse effects. (not saying you're doing this but I think someone else mentioned it. :) )

devinej

yeah, think of feeding hay by the pound rather than by the flake. your average horse needs at least 12 lbs of forage per day, that is minimal. so your skinny horse...maybe 20 or 25 pounds.

MissPrissy

Oh, ok. :) Then I'll start leaving her lots of hay in the morning and evening that she can munch on. I don't have timothy hay but I do have an 50/50 alfalfa and orchird mix that i've been throwing in their feild for them to eat freely during the day. I will definatly up the amount of hay I give her.
I will let you guys know if she starts to gain some weight. :)!

Cowgirl

yeah, think of feeding hay by the pound rather than by the flake. your average horse needs at least 12 lbs of forage per day, that is minimal. so your skinny horse...maybe 20 or 25 pounds.

I'd say the average horse probably needs more than 12 lbs. It's recommended to feed 1.5-2% of the horse's body weight in hay, so a 1200 lb horse should get 18-24 lbs of hay per day.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
We feed pure timothy rounds 800 lbs it will last 3 pasos (small) a QH and an appendix 5 days free choice..NO grain and FAT FAT...so that is more then 100 lbs a day for 5 horses

A 16.3 h walker mare due in the spring..a coming 2 yr old paso and a yrling walker baby a bale last them a week and they each also get 6 lbs of grain a day...