Question...

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
The hard keeper horses at our farm get alfafa cube soup in the AM with beet pulp. The barn manager soaks the cubes in a lot of water. They slurp it but there is nothing left. OF course it is all over the face..

Another option is corn oil in the food.

Beet Pulp is a good filler.

If she is blind I would feed her separate from the other guy. Especially since your other boy has no issues with his food.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
Corn oil, cheap and easy plus it does wonders for their coats. You can get a big container of it at the feed mill or just get a bottle of it at food lion. That always did the trick for my OTTB's during the winter.

:yeahthat:

In Pony Club we learned that this is the cheapest method of feeding the most calories per pound by actually analyzing the calories per pound over the cost per pound, but here is an excerpt that leads you there.

"However, there are many circumstances when feeding a dense source of calories (or specifically, fat) is necessary. Feeding vegetable oils still provides the most calories compared to any feed, and one cup of oil is equivalent in energy to .85 pounds of rice bran, generally for significantly lower cost. However, while vegetable oil provides the most calories per pound, many owners dislike its relative messiness. Oils must also be guarded closely against rancidity and many horses object to the texture in their feed. In these instances when only a relatively small amount of fat is required, rice bran does provide a source of calories which is both convenient to feed and generally highly palatable to the horse. "

Rice Bran and the Performance Horse - Susan Evans Garlinghouse

Last edited:

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Does anyone have any cheap and easy ways to put weight on your horse for the winter other than hay and extra grain? I was going to try the weight supplements but they are expensive?

Any suggestions?

Hey MissPrissy -

You've gotten a lot of really good suggestions! Im going to add my $.02 (I've had a horse who was at least 175lbs. under weight when I got him and he was super hard to keep weight on).

First and foremost:

1.) Beep pulp. Work up to 1/2 scoop to a full scoop along with normal feedings. Soak it with warm water before feeding so that it expand. Otherwise you risk colic as it can expand once they soak up the stomach fluids.
2.) Corn oil. No precise measurement, but start with roughly 1/3 cup and go from there. Be careful because it causes an energy increase so if your horse is high-strung, this may not be the best alternative. It does, however, work better than just about any high-dollar supplement out there.

Other things you can try are:
- Blue Seal Omegatin This stuff is EXPENSIVE (over $30 for a 50lb. bag) but puts weight on a horse like Ive never seen. And you dont need a lot. Add a quarter scoop to your horse's feed twice a day to start. A little big goes a looong way. With a 20% fat content (higher than just about any other feed out there), it really works wonders. It can be hard to find, but I know for a fact that tractor supply carries it.
- Alfalfa cubes. Soak them with warm water before feeding so that they expand (just like the beet pulp).
- Bran (also mix with warm water... they just like it better that way :smile:)
- Cracked and/or whole kernal corn. Im not a fan of this because you risk the horse ingensing a specific type of mold that can be deadly (amoung other reasons). It does work though.

Good luck!!! :howdy:

MissPrissy

Oh my gosh! You all have been such a great help! :) I really appreciate it! I went to tractor supply today to find alfalfa cubes but they didnt have any. So I am going to check Southern States this weekend. I will first start with the corn oil and see if that helps.

I do feed my blind horse seperate from her pasture mate but when they get hay it goes out in their feild where they both can access it. I boared my horses on someone elses farm so I can't really regulate things a much as I want, ya know?

But definatly going to try some of the things you guys have suggested. Thanks again SO much.
:starcat:

devinej

Oh my gosh! You all have been such a great help! :) I really appreciate it! I went to tractor supply today to find alfalfa cubes but they didnt have any. So I am going to check Southern States this weekend. I will first start with the corn oil and see if that helps.

I do feed my blind horse seperate from her pasture mate but when they get hay it goes out in their feild where they both can access it. I boared my horses on someone elses farm so I can't really regulate things a much as I want, ya know?

But definatly going to try some of the things you guys have suggested. Thanks again SO much.
:starcat:

try stauffers feed mill in loveville, they have alfalfa pellets and cubes

Wait4It..boom

I had to get weight on one of mine last year through the blizzards. It's not easy. Bottom line is they need to be warm and their bellies full! Make sure you go slowly though.
I would blanket her at night so she doesn't burn her weight staying warm. Pull it off during the days when it's sunny. It's still getting chilly during the day so she shouldn't have a huge issue with her coat not coming in.
For feeding horses I'm putting weight on, 2x a day I use a high fat feed (I currently use Blue Seal Sentinal Performance), add an extra quart of Rice Bran, and 4 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil (the oil was recommended by my vet as well). Any oil brand is fine; I usually buy extra gallons of it when it's on sale at the market.

Also, when I put hay in the field with one that needs weight, I make piles triple that of the number of horses in that field. For example, if there are two horses I have 6 piles of hay (even if it's only a flake or two in each). This way, most of the horses leave each other alone after one or two times of pushing the other around.

Good luck!

fredsaid2

If you do decide to blanket you need to commit to it. Blanketing at night and removing during the day won't help because the hair will be flattened and will take time to re-fluff again to provide insulation. You could do layers with a waterproof turnout sheet over. That will give you temp options.

Z

zansgoodnews

Oh, trust me, she is VERY commited to blanketing and takes care of her horses very well. :huggy:

JustSayNeigh

I was able to fatten up a walking "hat rack" by soaking alfalfa pellets in warm water (making a soft mush) and adding probiotics. Someone who knew this horse at his previous owner's couldn't believe that I was able to put weight on this horse -- to the point where he was well rounded. I have "before" and "after" pictures. This guy was so old that his teeth were almost horizontal, and he would eat the pasture grass by grabbing the grass stems half-way up and sliding the seed heads into his mouth. I can't remember the name of the probiotic, but it came in a brown and white plastic bottle.

MissPrissy

Oh, trust me, she is VERY commited to blanketing and takes care of her horses very well. :huggy:

Lol, oh yeah! Thanks Zans. :flowers:
Chy is finally growing a winter coat! You have to come see it. It just getting a little thicker but I am so excited. So I am not blanketing her just yet. But I will start up when it is clear that she is no longer growing any more fur for the winter lol.

breezy9999

I really like triple crown complete feed. Its a little more expensive but already has beet pulp and rice bran in it so you don't have to worry about soaking. Has all the vitamins they need too!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
so i have seen beet pulp suggested multiple times, and I have always had a problem with beet pulp b/c you have to make it fresh (in the summer time it can get funky by evening feed) and in the winter time it freezes...

so we were going to try beet pulp pellets.... has anyone used these ?

NO NO NO...do NOT use those they are NOT made for horses...

MissPrissy

just no to the pellets. regular beet pulp is fine. its just fiber though, no fat in it really

This may be a stupid question but if I fed her beet pulp, which is fiber, then would it not be much help when it comes to gaining weight?

I already give her her own 2 flakes of alfalfa hay in the mornig and in the evening when she is fed her sweet feed. I am going to see if this works and if not then I think I may introduce the Corn Oil to her feed and then go on from there.

You guys have been so much help. :) Really.

devinej

right, so beet pulp doesn't do a lot for weight gain. its great if your horse is not getting enough hay for some reason.

i hope the alfala works.
adding vegetable oil or rice bran oil would be better than corn oil (something about the omega 3 and 6 balance).