Rahabilitating an Emaciated Horse - HELP!

PrepH4U

Pasofever said:
He is bad but not beyond helping..I would blanket him he has not coat. I would feed hell out of him. I dont know if I would be ridding him now as he needs all his calories for weight..
But according to the owners story he has only been on stall rest for a couple of weeks. Would he loose the weight that quickly? I am no expert but it seems like they have been "forgeting" to feed him longer than that. And another thing that doesn't ring right is the "friend" who was going to ride him today. Did she not notice this going on the past four months? What's your opininon Paso?

Anyways he is a very pretty horse and I hope you get him healthy soon WarmbloodLvr. :huggy:

Spicober

I bought a emaciated Arabian mare from an auction last year. The poor thing was showing all ribs and was not anxious to even walk. We fed her 5x a day just a handful of pellets for a week, Hay AT ALL TIMES. We eventually increased the amount, and after the second month was able to back down to 3x a day, and so on. It was a very slow process as we didnt want any chance of colic. I am glad to say that that mare turned out to be the best "babysitter" I could have never imagined for my young daughter. Well worth the time.

W

WarmbloodLvr

PrepH4U said:
But according to the owners story he has only been on stall rest for a couple of weeks. Would he loose the weight that quickly? I am no expert but it seems like they have been "forgeting" to feed him longer than that. And another thing that doesn't ring right is the "friend" who was going to ride him today. Did she not notice this going on the past four months? What's your opininon Paso?

Anyways he is a very pretty horse and I hope you get him healthy soon WarmbloodLvr. :huggy:

I completely agree. Horses just don't loose that much weight, that fast...as far as I know at least. The girl who was supposed to ride him today (she is paid to excersize a list of horses daily) just started working there three days ago and was one of the ones who made me aware of how bad the situation was.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
PrepH4U said:

IF he was running the fence line for 2 weeks he could loose that weight..I dont think so in a stall...AND a bored depressed horse in a stall I would think would eat not go off grain..he would be looking for something to do.

PrepH4U

WarmbloodLvr said:
I completely agree. Horses just don't loose that much weight, that fast...as far as I know at least. The girl who was supposed to ride him today (she is paid to excersize a list of horses daily) just started working there three days ago and was one of the ones who made me aware of how bad the situation was.
I am sorry your old pal has had to endure this kind of treatment. Were you able to make a vet appt today? :shrug: If you have to feed him up to 3-5 times per day, being there for the vet appt shouldn't be very hard. I wish you luck in bringing this beauty back to health.

PrepH4U

Pasofever said:
IF he was running the fence line for 2 weeks he could loose that weight..I dont think so in a stall...AND a bored depressed horse in a stall I would think would eat not go off grain..he would be looking for something to do.
Are you saying he wasn't kept in a stall? :shrug: Why would a horse run a fence line for 2 weeks? I am not being smart here, just don't know the answer and I know you will tell me. :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
PrepH4U said:
Are you saying he wasn't kept in a stall? :shrug: Why would a horse run a fence line for 2 weeks? I am not being smart here, just don't know the answer and I know you will tell me. :howdy:

You ever see anyone get a new horse...and they "run the fenceline"? Run till they sweat and lather? I am saying if a horse did that for 2 weeks they could drop alot of weight fast...

NOT staying in a stall....I am saying I do not think he got that thin that fast standing around in a stall eatting hay...

W

WarmbloodLvr

Pasofever said:
You ever see anyone get a new horse...and they "run the fenceline"? Run till they sweat and lather? I am saying if a horse did that for 2 weeks they could drop alot of weight fast...

NOT staying in a stall....I am saying I do not think he got that thin that fast standing around in a stall eatting hay...

Yep...I know exactly what your talking about...but, the poor guy has been there for geez...at minimum 5 years? Most likely longer.

Do you think he has worms? Hard to tell I know but, sometimes people can get an idea from pictures. Thanks.

Cowgirl

WarmbloodLvr said:
Yep...I know exactly what your talking about...but, the poor guy has been there for geez...at minimum 5 years? Most likely longer.

Do you think he has worms? Hard to tell I know but, sometimes people can get an idea from pictures. Thanks.

I know that was directed at Paso, but did you check his mucous membranes? That will give you a good idea. You should also take in a fecal sample to your vet. It's only about $8 and a really good idea.

SerenitStables

WarmbloodLvr said:
The "offical" story from the owner is that he was badly kicked by another horse, ending up with a pretty bad hock injury. He was placed on stall rest for a couple weeks and ended up "depressed and bored". He is now "able to be ridden and be turned out so he should fatten and muscle up quickly".

He was even put on the training schedule for today! A friend of mine, who's schedule he was on...refused and marked him as being ridden anyway. There's no way to even get a saddle on the poor boy.

headie1.jpg

buttgh0.jpg

ribsxd5.jpg

ribs2cw9.jpg

hipak2.jpg

I walked in with a can full of food and he ran up to the stall door nickering and pushing my hand with his head. He scarfed it right up and started begging for more...

foodls7.jpg

I'm going on the other computer to post some pictures of him from before...

I agree!!!

You should call the HS. They will deal with the situation legally and you don't want to get wrapped up into "fixing" the situation and get stomped on.

Don't get yourself in too deep before you talk to them.

And remember you have plenty of people that will be there for you and help you out. Let me know if you need anything!!

~Jen~

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
SerenitStables said:
I agree!!!

You should call the HS. They will deal with the situation legally and you don't want to get wrapped up into "fixing" the situation and get stomped on.

Don't get yourself in too deep before you talk to them.

And remember you have plenty of people that will be there for you and help you out. Let me know if you need anything!!

~Jen~

The vet bill needs to be the liability of the owner. I would let the new owners know that if they do not relinquish her FULL custody/ownership to you that you will be calling in for the troops!!!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
persimmoncf said:
The vet bill needs to be the liability of the owner. I would let the new owners know that if they do not relinquish her FULL custody/ownership to you that you will be calling in for the troops!!!

I'd be worried that if she approaches it that way now they might not even allow her around to care for him and he surely needs intervention right now. I agree that's what we would like to do but in this case she can start helping him now and then work the situation later, :buttkick:.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Tell them I will buy him from them for $1 and they can give me a bill of sale..I will pay his vet bills and feed the poor fella..

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Pasofever said:
Tell them I will buy him from them for $1 and they can give me a bill of sale..I will pay his vet bills and feed the poor fella..

Well there ya go!! You'd think they would just let him go since they obviously don't give a rats arse!!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
SouthernMdRocks said:
Well there ya go!! You'd think they would just let him go since they obviously don't give a rats arse!!

Hell he has a good pair of front shoes on I can go $50 :lmao: and will post improvments every week here for all to see..

SerenitStables

Pasofever said:
Hell he has a good pair of front shoes on I can go $50 :lmao: and will post improvments every week here for all to see..

I'd buy him from them too!!! He is an amazing horse when not treated like this!!

This is one of the farm's best horses...I am not sure what she was thinking.

WrmbldLvr-Please be careful in what you do, so she doesn't screw you over!! She is a horrible person. Ask her if she would let someone buy him! I am sure the whole community would help you out. :smile: He just needs to get out of there and be at a home where he will be taken care of properly.

I agree with SOMDRocks that she may not let you keep coming to help him if you call the HS, but if you do call, they will take him away and send him to Days End or something and they will check the other horses...just proceed with caution. And if you call the HS, tell them you have people that will take him in and take care of him. Maybe they will be flexible. But someone needs to know for the sake of the other horses at the barn.

JMO

~Jen~

W

WarmbloodLvr

SouthernMdRocks said:
I'd be worried that if she approaches it that way now they might not even allow her around to care for him and he surely needs intervention right now. I agree that's what we would like to do but in this case she can start helping him now and then work the situation later, :buttkick:.

I agree...if I approach it like that, she surely will not let me back. Right now i am able to go over there and care for him. We're splitting up the feeding between a couple people so he gets what he needs. He is my main concern right now and I need to do what is best for him. If she'd sell him for $1 I can promise you that I would have bought him years ago. He was the love of my life...I can't explain in words how much this horse changed my life. He is the msot amazing horse I have ever met and I can't understand how someone could do this to a horse.

Thank you all for being there for me. I don't know how to tell you how much this means to me. There really are some wonderful horse people out there!

R

remaxrealtor

WarmbloodLvr said:
I agree...if I approach it like that, she surely will not let me back. Right now i am able to go over there and care for him. We're splitting up the feeding between a couple people so he gets what he needs. He is my main concern right now and I need to do what is best for him. If she'd sell him for $1 I can promise you that I would have bought him years ago. He was the love of my life...I can't explain in words how much this horse changed my life. He is the msot amazing horse I have ever met and I can't understand how someone could do this to a horse.

Thank you all for being there for me. I don't know how to tell you how much this means to me. There really are some wonderful horse people out there!
I'm not much use right now, but if there's something I can do, PLEASE let me know! :huggy:

W

WarmbloodLvr

remaxrealtor said:
I'm not much use right now, but if there's something I can do, PLEASE let me know! :huggy:

Thank you so much...that means more than you can imagine.

And after all this settles down...you all should take me out on one of your amazing trail rides. :eek:) :huggy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
WarmbloodLvr said:
I. If she'd sell him for $1 I can promise you that I would have bought him years ago.

!

He was not a skinny lame horse years ago either was he??