Rahabilitating an Emaciated Horse - HELP!

W

WarmbloodLvr

Pasofever said:
He was not a skinny lame horse years ago either was he??

very true but, I highly doubt she'll sell him for cheap...she's money hungry...a bazillion dollars for a crapy horse (many of them with injuries)...that's what she's known for.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
WarmbloodLvr said:
very true but, I highly doubt she'll sell him for cheap...she's money hungry...a bazillion dollars for a crapy horse (many of them with injuries)...that's what she's known for.

Then let her keep them and call the authorities on her..

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
WarmbloodLvr said:

WarmbloodLvr please check your PMs.

Thanks

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
This mare was almost 30....this is the day I bought her and 10 weeks later

DIAMOND1.jpg

DIAMOND.jpg

DIAMOND2.jpg

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
She was a great mare for my daughter for her last few years...Her name "Diamond in the Rough"

Cowgirl

Pasofever said:
Then let her keep them and call the authorities on her..

:yeahthat: If this woman is not going to sell him to you, but you are going to do all the work, then I would definitely call animal control on her, but tell them that you would like to take control of the horse. What makes you think this woman won't let him go right back down the tubes? I'm sorry, but there's no reason he should look like that...if I EVER had a horse look like that for "no reason" you bet your sweet bippy I'd be calling every vet around until I could figure out what was wrong.

Who is this person? Will you PM me?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
How very appropriate. We just lost one of our rescues a few months back. My son named her Virginia Kate. We called her Katie. We gave her about one and a half good years. She was a sad sight with EPM, messed up knees, halter grown in her poll and nose, and emaciated. She was well over 30. We cured the EPM, got her fatten up but the neuro damage and her age just worked equally hard against us. We had made a sling for her so that when she went down, we could pick her up with the tractor. She would stay up for months at time but in the end she was going down several times a day. Bless her heart she would just wait there for us to pick her back up. Finally, she went down for the last time. It was a very sad day for us but Dr. Bennidict agreed that it was time.

We will always miss our little fiesty girl.

Spicober

I've noticed that those who have rescued a horse, including myself all say the same thing that they turn out to be great for kids and the whole family. Its like they know what we are trying to do for them and appreciate it. :huggy:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Sometimes i can come off as harsh, like its cut and dry, and maybe it is. IF the lady is truly being neglectful and lazy then all of her horses are most likely suffering in some or many ways. Helping feed, vet this one (as nobile as it is) is not addressing the root of the problem. Definately keep feeding and visiting your old horse but I feel one should be held accountable for blatent negligence and comming to her aid is only enabiling her to continue in her laxidazy ways.
I would go in like a gun...demand HER to vet the horse -or- prove that the horse has been vetted due to this condition. That way she too is educated to what the cause is for the weight loss...could be medical.

K

Katie

That is really freaking sad that someone would do that to a horse.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
persimmoncf said:
Sometimes i can come off as harsh, like its cut and dry, and maybe it is. IF the lady is truly being neglectful and lazy then all of her horses are most likely suffering in some or many ways. Helping feed, vet this one (as nobile as it is) is not addressing the root of the problem. Definately keep feeding and visiting your old horse but I feel one should be held accountable for blatent negligence and comming to her aid is only enabiling her to continue in her laxidazy ways.
I would go in like a gun...demand HER to vet the horse -or- prove that the horse has been vetted due to this condition. That way she too is educated to what the cause is for the weight loss...could be medical.

Sounds great...BUT Warmbloodlover is basically a kid...nothing against her but she is in highschool still...she would not have what it takes to stand up to a middle aged or older lady like you or I would...cant expect her to do this..not alone..

W

WarmbloodLvr

Pasofever said:
This mare was almost 30....this is the day I bought her and 10 weeks later

DIAMOND1.jpg

DIAMOND.jpg

DIAMOND2.jpg

That is just horrible but what a cutie she turned out to be. You are truely an angel for saving her. What a lucky little girl!

K

Katie

Loper said:
and you see this all the time with dogs, why are you surprised?

I'm not. Nothing surprises me anymore with what people do to their animals.

MorganLover

I am not sure if it not feeding him, if he was malnurished wouldn't his coat look awful as well, and his eyes? like your horse Paso he coat was awful looking, his coat is still nice a white and his eyes don't look starved (seems like you can see starvation and saddness in the eyes.) How are all the other horses there? has anyone called the person's vet and asked if that horse has been seen about his weight issue, maybe they are trying but it is failing. I am not trying to make the situation look better i just feel like if he was looking good and then all of a sudden they neglect him, and all the other horses look good, then their might be something else going on that we don't know about. :confused:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Yeah I agree with the "eyes" and "coat" he does not look that bad...vets wont give that information out..How would you like it if I called your Dr and found out you had some horrible disease you got from doing donkeys or something...lol ...vets just wont do that..