Rats digging into my chicken pens URGH !

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So it appears after many years only battling mice I now have rats digging into my chicken pens at night. I took dirty cat litter and poured at along the walls they are using to dig under for entry but that may not be enough? Thinking I need to put a cat inside each pen at night? I ordered some Bobcat urine to add to the cat litter hoping that will stop them? I already have been raising the feeders up to the ceiling at night so they can't reach it. What else can I do short of putting hardware cloth at the bottom of all 9 pens? The home remedies of using cinnamon, peppermint, and ultrasonic units have not been proven effective per my internet research.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Pretty sure the rats came from my ladder-stealing next door neighbor who has turned his rooming house into 3 separate homes inside after the County visited a few years ago about having 15 people in a 3 bedroom house with 11 cars parked outside. Whether they did it accidentally or intentionally? Who knows. From everything I have read the rats are hard to get rid off so I will trying everything I have read including waiting with a red light and a gun.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
.22lr and a flashlight
my horses are in the barn directly on the other side of the wall of the chicken pen so I need to be cautious of that and the other chickens in neighboring pens. Is that the smallest that will take out a rat?

Clem72

my horses are in the barn directly on the other side of the wall of the chicken pen so I need to be cautious of that and the other chickens in neighboring pens. Is that the smallest that will take out a rat?
You could probably kill a rat with a pellet gun. Would be much quieter too.

Umarex unisex adult Ruger Blackhawk .177 Caliber Pellet Gun with 4x32mm Scope Air Rifle, Black, Large US​

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You could probably kill a rat with a pellet gun. Would be much quieter too.

Umarex unisex adult Ruger Blackhawk .177 Caliber Pellet Gun with 4x32mm Scope Air Rifle, Black, Large US​

I doubt I can look that up right now since I am on the school wi-fi, but where can I find that? I also have 9 pens and they seem to be getting into most of them, so I will have to remove all food except 1 pen and let them find me? Do I need to shield myself in some way? Seems like they would smell my presence anyway. I guess now is as good a time as any to get target practice LOL.

Clem72

I doubt I can look that up right now since I am on the school wi-fi, but where can I find that? I also have 9 pens and they seem to be getting into most of them, so I will have to remove all food except 1 pen and let them find me? Do I need to shield myself in some way? Seems like they would smell my presence anyway. I guess now is as good a time as any to get target practice LOL.
Amazon. Looks like there's tons of options between $100 and $150. The one I posted is supposed to be very nice, I wouldn't personally know since I use a red rider for can plinking and it can't put two identical shots in the same 12 inch circle.

Reviews show a lot of people use it for small game hunting.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Amazon. Looks like there's tons of options between $100 and $150. The one I posted is supposed to be very nice, I wouldn't personally know since I use a red rider for can plinking and it can't put two identical shots in the same 12 inch circle.

ok $150 isn't a lot if you look at the cost of other rat devices available. They are very smart and the one I caught was a juvenile. His sibling was probably saying no Bobbi don't do it ........ its a trap LOL

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
About 8-10 years ago, I bought a Kodiak air rifle at Wal-Mart that has 2 different barrels, one .177 and one .22 caliber. It came with a scope and 2 barrels for around $100. Although when first oiled its almost as loud as a .22lr shot from a regular rifle, it calms down and gets quieter with more shots. It's a break barrel one shot design.

Before you purchase one, let me dust mine off and see if it's still scoped properly. I haven't used the .177 barrel much, but it used to go through one side of a 5 gallon bucket at about 50 yards with a .22 pellet. Maybe we can barter the rental fee in fresh eggs once in a while. :biggrin:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

About 8-10 years ago, I bought a Kodiak air rifle at Wal-Mart that has 2 different barrels, one .177 and one .22 caliber. It came with a scope and 2 barrels for around $100. Although when first oiled its almost as loud as a .22lr shot from a regular rifle, it calms down and gets quieter with more shots. It's a break barrel one shot design.

Before you purchase one, let me dust mine off and see if it's still scoped properly. I haven't used the .177 barrel much, but it used to go through one side of a 5 gallon bucket at about 50 yards with a .22 pellet. Maybe we can barter the rental fee in fresh eggs once in a while. :biggrin:
oops already pressed the order button

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Use a .22 caliber rifle with this ammo. It is very quiet, sounds like a regular BB gun. Very low velocity, and yet, will take out a rat, squirrels, groundhogs, etc., at a pretty decent distance.

1683307449227.png

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

710fps for your 22 ammo, the .177 pellets go 1000-1200fps on most those guns. I bet they do similar amounts of damage.

I have one of those 1200fps air rifles, and that thing is louder than the .22 CCI CB rounds. Almost sounds like a firecracker going off. For the nuisance critters at my place, the .22 with the CB rounds is the go to exterminator. Cause Lord knows I don't want the next door Karen hearing a shot then see a dead critter in my yard.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just FYI.... I tried using .22 shorts on a very obnoxious rooster. Wouldn't penetrate the feathers. Use a LR.