Ravens release Ray Rice after new video of assault released

Hank

my war
And you think they were hoping it wouldn't surface? What did he originally say happened?

I don't know what they were thinking but I am sure when they made the ruling on the 2 day suspension, they had this evidence. It was public outcry after the video was released that resulted in him being released. Initially his lawyer was accusing his now wife as the aggressor. Believe he pleaded not guilty over charges.

And you think they were hoping it wouldn't surface? What did he originally say happened?

The NFL reportedly claims it hadn't had access to this video before. Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't. Seeing the video for the first time may have been what caused the Ravens to cut him or it may be, as you suggest, that they realize the PR hit from the public in general seeing the video will be too much. Who knows?

Anyway, to your second question - I don't recall what he said, if he even offered his account. I think most people could figure out, more or less, what must have happened. But there's knowing and there's seeing, the impact of the latter can sometimes be considerably stronger than the impact of the former. I mean, there isn't much room to feel anything less that disgust for Ray Rice when you actually see what he did and not just the aftermath of it. It's pretty hard to minimize it at this point. And from the video you can kind of rule out the notion that she was maybe attacking him and he tried to defend himself and just used more force than was necessary. Not that that would excuse what he did anyway, but it's pretty clear now that he's just a POS girlfriend beater. Unfortunately we don't impose the death penalty for that kind of ####.

Oh, and reportedly the NFL has now suspended him indefinitely. I don't think any other NFL team would have picked him up anyway, at least not this year.

DynaDink

Oh, and reportedly the NFL has now suspended him indefinitely. I don't think any other NFL team would have picked him up anyway, at least not this year.

You can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy. Boy meaning irresponsible spoiled child for all you race baiters.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
The video shows that she got a shot to his face prior to the knockout punch.
Looks like she was pi$$ed off, but still no excuse for what he did.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and I'll say it again:

Give a thug a million dollars and what do you get......

A thug with a million dollars.

Blister

I think she did the math and decided the a$$whooping was worth half of $50 million over 5 years, when she refused to press charges. Now she gets half of nothing. How long do you think she will stay around?

TPD

the poor dad
Why? She obviously doesn't mind getting punched out, so why should it be any of the NFL's business?

Which brings up the question, when does an employer have the right to fire you based on behavior in your personal off time? Theft conviction less than $100? Speeding ticket? Drunk driving charge? Assault charge? Handgun violation? Leaving your kid in the car to die? Divorce? Car accident that kills another person?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which brings up the question, when does an employer have the right to fire you based on behavior in your personal off time? Theft conviction less than $100? Speeding ticket? Drunk driving charge? Assault charge? Handgun violation? Leaving your kid in the car to die? Divorce? Car accident that kills another person?

Did she even press charges against him? My understanding is that she didn't, and that video from several months ago is the first anyone heard of it. So if he wasn't arrested or charged with a crime, and his fiancee (now wife) is okay with it, why is the NFL bothering this man?

I mean, you know that's not the first time he's punched her out. So that's their relationship and she is a consenting adult. No different than any other outside the norm marriage or relationship, and no crime has been committed.

Why? She obviously doesn't mind getting punched out, so why should it be any of the NFL's business?

For clarity's sake, the them I was referring to was the Ravens. So... to answer the question (the answer would be pretty similar if I had been referring to the NFL instead of the Ravens)... because he is their employee. The Ravens have an interest in what kind of a person he is, not necessarily what kind of a person she is. They have an interest in who he is and what he does that exists without regard to what she thinks of who he is or what he does.

Just because a bank forgives someone that robs them, that doesn't mean that the employer of that bank robber has no interest in the reality that they are a bank robber. Maybe it's McDonald's or Ford Motor Company, regardless they might care that the person they employ is a bank robber and they might not want to employ that person anymore. Maybe they're a landscaping company, they still might not want to employ a bank robber. A rape victim may forgive their rapist, but other people in that rapist's life still have an interest in what kind of a person they are - they still might not want to have anything to do with them as a result, an employer might not want to continue employing them as a result. That's true for all kinds of reasons, many of which I'm sure you understand without their having to be explored. The point being, from the Ravens standpoint this is about who he is, not who she is. Whatever she is or does doesn't fix the defect in him. He's a POS no matter how much he loves her, or how scared of him she is, or how much she's willing to put up with.

Further, and to make a broader point, part of the problem with man on woman violence is that other males don't often enough call their male friends or associates out on it. That's part of why it continues, or at least why individual abusers can go on abusing. As men, I think we have a social responsibility to call it out when we see it with people we know. It needs to be stigmatized to a greater degree than it is - it needs to be seen as unmanly, as punk-ish, not just as a criminal lack of temper control; it needs to be seen as the indication of male insecurity that it typically is. We should be saying - hey ####tard, that ain't cool, men don't hit women, only insecure little bitches hit women. And the Ravens are an organization full of men. I'd bet the people that made this decision, at least some of them, are men. As such they should call him out. They probably should have done it a while ago, but at least they're doing it now. They're saying - this isn't okay and we don't want to have anything to do with you anymore. A business organization built on the notion of masculinity, that celebrates barely-bridled male force and aggression, is telling him to #### off - because he hit a woman and knocked her cold. That's a start, that's the right kind of message to have sent. In a more ideal world they'd feel free (and maybe obliged) to beat him down to get the message across, but our society tends to frown on such things.

Anyway... good on them for what little they did or felt they could do. How a female victim responds is one thing - sometimes it's lamentable, even if understandable - but how other men respond is another. And males that hit women deserve to have men call them out on it. That calling out can take many forms, in this case it was a firing which will, among other things, likely cost him a lot of money.