Ravens release Ray Rice after new video of assault released

Did she even press charges against him? My understanding is that she didn't, and that video from several months ago is the first anyone heard of it. So if he wasn't arrested or charged with a crime, and his fiancee (now wife) is okay with it, why is the NFL bothering this man?

I mean, you know that's not the first time he's punched her out. So that's their relationship and she is a consenting adult. No different than any other outside the norm marriage or relationship, and no crime has been committed.

He was charged, but prosecutors agreed to a seemingly quite lenient plea deal that required him to go into some kind of program. I don't think he will even have a record stemming from this incident. I'd guess her support of him played a role in him getting that kind of deal.

Which brings up the question, when does an employer have the right to fire you based on behavior in your personal off time? Theft conviction less than $100? Speeding ticket? Drunk driving charge? Assault charge? Handgun violation? Leaving your kid in the car to die? Divorce? Car accident that kills another person?

Generally speaking, an employer has a right to fire you for whatever reasons except (1) reasons that are prohibited by law (e.g. because of race or age or as retaliation for certain actions) and (2) to the extent agreed upon contractual terms prevent it.

I don't see where (1) would be a problem in this case. And I'd bet the Ravens are pretty well covered when it comes to (2). They're terminating a contract, I'm sure there is language in that contract (and/or in the collective bargaining agreement pursuant to which that contract was agreed upon) that allows them to cancel it based on this kind of stuff. Now, if he wants to essentially plead innocent and claim that he didn't actually do anything wrong - or anything wrong enough to have the contract cancelled - then he can do that. There are surely some processes based on the CBA or he could sue the Ravens. I'm guessing he wouldn't find much relief there. It wouldn't be like a criminal action where the burden was on the Ravens to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he unjustifiably hit her. They've almost surely got plenty of justification to terminate the contract based on that video.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Generally speaking, an employer has a right to fire you for whatever reasons except (1) reasons that are prohibited by law (e.g. because of race or age or as retaliation for certain actions) and (2) to the extent agreed upon contractual terms prevent it.

I don't see where (1) would be a problem in this case. And I'd bet the Ravens are pretty well covered when it comes to (2). They're terminating a contract, I'm sure there is language in that contract (and/or in the collective bargaining agreement pursuant to which that contract was agreed upon) that allows them to cancel it based on this kind of stuff. Now, if he wants to essentially plead innocent and claim that he didn't actually do anything wrong - or anything wrong enough to have the contract cancelled - then he can do that. There are surely some processes based on the CBA or he could sue the Ravens. I'm guessing he wouldn't find much relief there. It wouldn't be like a criminal action where the burden was on the Ravens to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he unjustifiably hit her. They've almost surely got plenty of justification to terminate the contract based on that video.

I read in another article today that the contract does address personal behavior, and that was the what they used to cancel the contract.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Too soon?

Attachments

• ray.jpg
    ray.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 99

mamatutu

mama to two
I will venture to say that Rice will, eventually, be back playing football, just like Michael Vick.

Has anybody else noticed that she came after him?

Yeah, after he threw the first punch he stepped back and she came at him and that's when he threw the knockout punch. I can't tell if the first punch didn't land at all or if it was just glancing so that it didn't drop her. But she was stepping into the second one and it landed without mercy.

But regardless - even if she did start it and even if he hadn't already swung at her before she came after him as you say, that wouldn't justify the punch he threw. He could have protected himself by overpowering her and holding her off if he felt physically threatened. That punch was by no means a defensive one, that punch was an I'm pissed and I'm gonna knock you out bitch punch. He didn't put his hands up, he didn't grab her defensively. He threw a knockout punch, and it was the second one he'd thrown.

I read in another article today that the contract does address personal behavior, and that was the what they used to cancel the contract.

Yeah, I think at a minimum there's typically generic language to cover conduct detrimental to the team or league or whatever, and it applies to conduct that occurs outside a team or league context.

What video are you watching.
I did not see that.

The one posted on TMZ. I didn't notice the first punch at first, but after I heard people (on ESPN I think) talking about 2 punches I went back and watched the video more carefully and sure enough there it was.

After they get into the elevator it looks like she leans her right shoulder against the wall. She appears to be carrying a purse or something over that shoulder or in the right hand. She reaches toward the elevator buttons with her left hand, her left shoulder is turned toward him. I can't tell if she makes some kind of motion toward him first or if he was the first one to initiate physical contact, but he throws a punch with his left hand as she flings her left arm at him - maybe reflexively as if to kind of push him away or in response to the punch. It isn't completely clear to me. Then he steps back as she's moving toward him and that's when he threw the second punch, again with the left hand. Then she dropped.

EDIT: I've watched it a half dozen times trying to figure out exactly what happened but it isn't clear enough to be sure. She may have kinda jabbed her left elbow out sideways at him (when she was standing sideways to him), as if to say get away from me, just before he threw the first punch.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
So they knew he had done this, but didn't fire him. Once the video comes out they go ahead and fire him. The moral of the story is "if you want to be a wife beater in the NFL make sure there aren't any cameras around."

The league will be holding training for all players to help them recognize hidden cameras and find camera-free places to beat their wives.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But regardless - even if she did start it and even if he hadn't already swung at her before she came after him as you say, that wouldn't justify the punch he threw. He could have protected himself by overpowering her and holding her off if he felt physically threatened. That punch was by no means a defensive one, that punch was an I'm pissed and I'm gonna knock you out bitch punch. He didn't put his hands up, he didn't grab her defensively. He threw a knockout punch, and it was the second one he'd thrown.

I dunno. You get a serious sister like Janaynay and you probably better put her down while you can. You don't let her get her licks in.