Reality of Gun Ownership

smcop

I am not trained to understand "who is on the run" vs " who may hurt my family", vs someone who is "commiting a burglary". I will always asume they want to hurt my family and try to stop them in anyway I can.

Sure, and if someone is threatening you or your family after breaking into your home I absolutely agree you should eliminate that threat. However, I do not advocate killing a person because they committed a burglary. If someone breaks into my home, finds me there, and is running out of a window to get away, I would not end their life.

smcop

And what do you advocate if someone breaks into your home?

Someone who breaks into my home, then flees when they find me there should be caught and serve a lengthy prison sentence. What do you advocate for someone in that situation?

smcop

How do I know that they are there to committ burglary and how do I know they won't change their mind once they get there and encounter someone?

That is different than shooting someone in the back as they are climbing out a window to escape. Don't be ashamed of how you feel, that is your right to feel that way. Own it. I just don't think you should kill someone for committing a crime such as that. I do advocate defending yourself, and protecting your home. Those are seperate from someone running away.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
That is different than shooting someone in the back as they are climbing out a window to escape. Don't be ashamed of how you feel, that is your right to feel that way. Own it. I just don't think you should kill someone for committing a crime such as that. I do advocate defending yourself, and protecting your home. Those are seperate from someone running away.

You are playing with words.
Debate the issue
Home invasion

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Someone who breaks into my home, then flees when they find me there should be caught and serve a lengthy prison sentence. What do you advocate for someone in that situation?

The odds are they will not be caught and if caught will not serve any time.

If the authorites would protect homeowners as much as they protect criminals there would not be a need to protect ourselves. Socop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many families have been killed by random burglaries gone wrong?
Again I repeat:

I assume you are a police officer. You are trained in shoot no shoot affairs.
We are not. You cannot protect me. You cannot protect my family.
I am not condeming you but the system that protects criminals and not my family.
When someone breaks into my home, I do not have the time to try to understand their intent. I have to automatically asume they want to harm my wife, children and my dog, not to mention me. I would rather go to jail for life protecting my family, rather that to live a life of "if I would of only protected my family".

Last edited:

smcop

You are playing with words.
Debate the issue
Home invasion

What is there to debate? I disagree that someone should automatically be killed because they committed a burglary.

I agree that someone should be able to defend themself and family.

I am pretty clear on that. I'll give you two scenarios. Man breaks into house, homeowner confronts him, man stands his ground, homeowner kills man. IMO good shoot.

Man breaks into home, homeowner confronts him, man turns to run away, homeowner shoots man in back. I disagree with the shot.

Now, you can add and take away from those in a million different directions. That is when it would be up to a court.

My position is clear. If the suspect is running away, then they should not die for a burglary. This is my opinion which I am entitled to.

smcop

The odds are they will not be caught and if caught will not serve any time.

If the authorites would protect homeowners as much as they protect criminals there would not be a need to protect ourselves. Socop

That is a separate issue. If you feel the death penalty is justified for burglary than stick with that. Advocate for a change in the law.

To answer your random burglary homeowner killed scenario, I can't think of any in the last fifteen years in Southern Maryland.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
What is there to debate? I disagree that someone should automatically be killed because they committed a burglary.

I agree that someone should be able to defend themself and family.

I am pretty clear on that. I'll give you two scenarios. Man breaks into house, homeowner confronts him, man stands his ground, homeowner kills man. IMO good shoot.

Man breaks into home, homeowner confronts him, man turns to run away, homeowner shoots man in back. I disagree with the shot.

Now, you can add and take away from those in a million different directions. That is when it would be up to a court.

My position is clear. If the suspect is running away, then they should not die for a burglary. This is my opinion which I am entitled to.

Again I repeat:

I am not condeming you but the system that protects criminals and not my family.
When someone breaks into my home, I do not have the time to try to understand their intent. I have to automatically asume they want to harm my wife, children and my dog, not to mention me. I would rather go to jail for life protecting my family, rather that to live a life of "if I would of only protected my family".

smcop

Again I repeat:

That's fine. However, please tell me you can at least tell the difference between someone fleeing from a window, and someone presenting a threat?

I have said numerous times a person should protect their family. Why are you saying I am saying anything to the contrary. Forget about shoot and don't shoot. Any reasonable person should be able to determine someone running from them, or someone not.

bcp

In My Opinion
Sure, and if someone is threatening you or your family after breaking into your home I absolutely agree you should eliminate that threat. However, I do not advocate killing a person because they committed a burglary. If someone breaks into my home, finds me there, and is running out of a window to get away, I would not end their life.
how will you feel when you read in the paper that the guy you let run off ended up killing a child the next night in an attempted break in?

I agree that it should be a lengthy prison term for B&E, however lets be realistic, do you really think the police are going to catch this guy?

I dont mean to put the police down either, but in reality, they cant protect you, they can only write up the report and maybe catch the guy before he does the next person in.

smcop

how will you feel when you read in the paper that the guy you let run off ended up killing a child the next night in an attempted break in?

I agree that it should be a lengthy prison term for B&E, however lets be realistic, do you really think the police are going to catch this guy?

I dont mean to put the police down either, but in reality, they cant protect you, they can only write up the report and maybe catch the guy before he does the next person in.

Well, then we should shoot and kill people who steal cars, because they might kill the child while driving eratically. We should kill the person who drives drunk because they might kill a child.

I understand what you are saying. If you feel that a burgular should be killed, then advocate that. Be proud of that stance. Burgulars are caught every day in Southern Maryland.

bcp

In My Opinion
Well, then we should shoot and kill people who steal cars, because they might kill the child while driving eratically. We should kill the person who drives drunk because they might kill a child.

I understand what you are saying. If you feel that a burgular should be killed, then advocate that. Be proud of that stance. Burgulars are caught every day in Southern Maryland.
If the car thief was more of a car jacking, then yes, kill him.
how many children have been driven off with by carjackers?

if the drunk is out trying to run me or my family down because it seems like fun at the time, then yes, I should be allowed to kill him at that time.

if I shoot and kill someone that broke into my home, then yes it should be legal.

If the police catch the guy down the street with my stuff, and he does not resist arrest, then he should get his trial.

you keep moving away from the immediate situation to a hypothetical after the fact situation.

smcop

If the car thief was more of a car jacking, then yes, kill him.
how many children have been driven off with by carjackers?

if the drunk is out trying to run me or my family down because it seems like fun at the time, then yes, I should be allowed to kill him at that time.

if I shoot and kill someone that broke into my home, then yes it should be legal.

If the police catch the guy down the street with my stuff, and he does not resist arrest, then he should get his trial.

you keep moving away from the immediate situation to a hypothetical after the fact situation.

I'm not moving away from anything. You added the hypotheticals.

I have my position. In my opinion, you may protect your family, but not kill someone fleeing from your home. It is just that simple. Where am I moving away?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

If I catch one in my house he won't be caught, he'll be buried.. If he's "running away" but in my house, how would I know what he's running to? The shotgun he left on the kitchen counter? To my kid's room?

He's in the house, he gets what he gets.

I also believe someone that runs from the cops as high speed should be taken out, and if it cost the person(s) their lives so be it. They shouldn't be given the opportunity to kill an innocent family further down the road.

Now the real issue is people like you, that think like you, run our state, and probably run our police departments.. If you have liberal politicians, then everyone down the line will reflect their beliefs. "It's the policeman's job" "The police will protect you" "Call the police and HIDE" It's all bull####.

direxpgw

home invasion

Lets all get real. If you catch someone breaking into your home at 3 am and shoot them, you are gonna be so scared and so out of your element that it is very probable they may get shot in the back. Its probable you wont even hit them (which is why I advocate the short barrel shotgun, but thats a different story). Devil is in the details with any situation. The difference between shooting them in the face and the back is literally about a quarter second or two blinks of your half awake ass at 3 am. I guess my point is this...if they are in your home with bad intent, then they get what they deserve. The buttmunch above who said its not right to shoot them in the back is living in a dream world where everything happens like in the movies. By the time your brain registers the threat and commands your finger to pull the trigger, the situation could have changed and guess what....a buckshot in the back. Either friggin way, I'd take my chances with a court any day of the week.

R

RadioPatrol

Then there is no argument. You advocate the death penalty for someone who commits burglary.

Nope Breaking and Entering .... he said nothing about stealing ... although that is just Gravy ...

the point is, you break into someone's Castle, you face no real retribution ... what 30 days ? how many go in an swing right on back out ....

If you break into someones house expect to get your Punk ASS Shot ....

R

RadioPatrol

Last edited by a moderator:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

YOu can be such a douchnoozle sometimes, I swear.

smcop

If I catch one in my house he won't be caught, he'll be buried.. If he's "running away" but in my house, how would I know what he's running to? The shotgun he left on the kitchen counter? To my kid's room?

He's in the house, he gets what he gets.

I also believe someone that runs from the cops as high speed should be taken out, and if it cost the person(s) their lives so be it. They shouldn't be given the opportunity to kill an innocent family further down the road.

Now the real issue is people like you, that think like you, run our state, and probably run our police departments.. If you have liberal politicians, then everyone down the line will reflect their beliefs. "It's the policeman's job" "The police will protect you" "Call the police and HIDE" It's all bull####.

Then you think someone who committs a burglary should get the death penalty. That's your opinion you are entitled to it. I don't.

The real problem is people like you! People who talk all this tough guy bull on a forum, but don't have the fortitude to do it in real life.