Reality of Gun Ownership

R

RadioPatrol

Shall we look up newstories on how many times cops have shot a fleeing felon? I wouldn't hold that against them and they shoudn't hold it against me if the same were to happen on my property.

Oh but Police are allowed to ............. :whistle:

My neighbors dog, a ferocious little poodle type, rushed at me yesterday as I was standing in my driveway. Unfortunately I was unarmed so I knelt down and tickled it's belly until it was helpless. Then I safely returned to my house.

BOP

Then there is no argument. You advocate the death penalty for someone who committs burglary.

Whether the homeowner does it or the state does it, yes. We need a more liberal application of the death penalty in this country. It may not be much of a deterrent for other criminals, but for the one who got caught, well, they'll never do it again, will they?

bcp

In My Opinion
Those weren't hypotheticals. Those were examples of other crimes where a person might hurt a child.
Since I dont take my guns off of my property, I suppose we can assume that the only time I would entertain the idea of shooting some lowlife would be if he was in my home, or he became aggressive on my property when told to leave.

now, if he is out breaking into a car, then while Im headed out the door to stop him, the police will be getting the call. lets see if they can get there in time to stop what could end up poorly for the lowlife, or perhaps for me if he is also armed and quicker.

bcp

In My Opinion
My neighbors dog, a ferocious little poodle type, rushed at me yesterday as I was standing in my driveway. Unfortunately I was unarmed so I knelt down and tickled it's belly until it was helpless. Then I safely returned to my house.
OH MY GOD!!
are you ok?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Someone who breaks into my home, then flees when they find me there should be caught and serve a lengthy prison sentence. What do you advocate for someone in that situation?

I was asking you about what you said here:

Then there is no argument. You advocate the death penalty for someone who committs burglary.

... not the fact that they were fleeing. If someone is fleeing I probably wouldn't waste my shells on him. However... this person will likely commit burglary again, and again, and again. I don't dare try to guess his intentions (burglary, murder, kidnapping, etc...). You might be doing society a favor by killing the guy.

BOP

And that is your opinion, I disagree.

I value life. I think a person who committs a property crime should not be put to death.

I am not speaking about a person who attempts to hurt someone. I am not speaking about a homeowner who believes a person may hurt them. I am speaking about a property crime.

I think life is more important than property.

There's the problem with your thinking; like all liberals, you assume that the poor misunderstood youth, who's a victim of poverty and whatever kind of circumstances and possible discrimination, who's really trying to get his life back on track, only committed the one burglary (insert favorite crime here) in a moment of weakness and desparation. In reality, according to one cop I know, criminals who get caught have NOT gotten caught dozens of times before they were apprehended.

Oh, and have you checked the residivsm rate in this country? It's over 75 percent, Louie.

Note that we haven't even touched on criminals escalating the seriousness of the types of crime they commit, as well as the levels of violence when violence is involved. Threatening someone is as much an act of violence as actually committing battery. It is in fact treated as the same thing in some jurisdictions.

Unfortunately, thanks the bleeding heart libs who hero worship criminals, too many jurisdictions don't treat the threat of violence very seriously. As we used to say back in the day: where I come from, a threat is the same as a promise, and I'll deal with it accordingly.

Last edited:
R

RadioPatrol

I actually think it should extend to the property line. As in "trespassers may be shot".

Trespassers Will Be Shot, Survivors Shot Again .......... :whistle:

if you are having an emergency @ 3am knock, I'll gladly assist, but if you broke in to my house your WRONG and will suffer what ever punishment I met out ... if you survive you can go off to jail ...

I am surprised no one has brought this up:

The Criminal Trial of Peairs

Initially, the local police quickly questioned and released Peairs, and declined to charge him with any crime. They felt that "Peairs had been within his rights in shooting the trespasser." [2] Only after the governor of Louisiana and the New Orleans Japan consul general protested, did Peairs get charged with manslaughter.

The Civil Trial

In a later civil action (95 0144 (La.App. 1 Cir. 10/6/95), 662 So.2d 509), however, the court found Peairs liable to Hattori's parents for $650,000 in damages,[6] which they used to establish two charitable funds in their son's name; one to fund U.S. high school students wishing to visit Japan, and one to fund organizations that lobby for gun control.[7] The lawyers for Hattori's parents argued that the Peairs had behaved unreasonably: Bonnie Peairs had overreacted to the presence of the two teens outside her house; the Peairs had behaved unreasonably by not communicating with each other to convey what exactly the threat was; they had not taken the best path to safety--remaining inside the house and calling police; they had erred in taking offensive action rather than defensive action; and Rodney Peairs had used his firearm too quickly, without assessing the situation, using a warning shot, or shooting to wound. Furthermore, the much larger Peairs could likely very easily have subdued the short, slightly built teen. The gun was also out of line with the type one would use to defend one's home. Contrary to Peairs' claim that Hattori was moving strangely and quickly towards him, forensic evidence demonstrates that Hattori was moving slowly, or not at all, and his arms were away from his body, indicating he was no threat. Overall, a far greater show of force was used than was appropriate. [8] Out of the total compensation, only $100,000 has been paid by an insurance company. [9]

hear that boys, you cannot use a .44 mag to defend you home :cds:

Japanese Press for Gun Control

Afterwards

After the trial, Peairs told the press that he would never again own a gun.

Japanese were shocked not only by the killing, but by Peairs' acquittal. Shortly after the Hattori case, a Japanese exchange student, Takuma Ito, and a Japanese-American student, Go Matsura, were killed in a carjacking in San Pedro, California, and another Japanese exchange student, Masakazu Kuriyama was shot in Concord, California. Many Japanese reacted to these deaths as being similar symptoms of a sick society; TV Asahi commentator Takashi Wada put the feelings into words by asking, "But now, which society is more mature? The idea that you protect people by shooting guns is barbaric."

1.65 million Japanese and one million Americans signed a petition urging stronger gun controls in the US; the petition was presented to Ambassador Walter Mondale on November 22, 1993, who delivered it to President Bill Clinton. Shortly thereafter, the Brady Bill was passed, and on December 3, 1993, Mondale presented Hattori's parents with a copy.[10][11]

Let the Japs control GUNS in their own damn, ####ed up country, where loonies fun around with swords and kill people, and quite trying to control; ours .... too bad Clinton rolled over ......

:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD!!
are you ok?

I had bad dreams, but thought I was over it. Then this morning as I went to open the door to leave the porch, my hand started shaking so badly I could grab the knob. I turned around and calmed myself and stepped outside. Then a leaf blew towards me and, well, I made a mess. I was a little late for work today.
Thanks for asking.

R

RadioPatrol

Feds charge man who gunned down 12-year-old trick-or-treater

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

COLUMBIA -- An ex-convict charged with killing a South Carolina child who knocked on his door on Halloween night is now facing a federal weapons charge.

U.S. Attorney Walt Wilkins said Wednesday a federal grand jury indicted 22-year-old Quentin Lamar Patrick on charges of being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition.

Police have said Patrick told them he thought he was being robbed when he gunned down 12-year-old trick-or-treater T.J. Darrisaw on Oct. 31.

Police said Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows.

The boy’s father and brother were injured.

Patrick is facing state charges of murder, three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and one count of assault with intent to kill.

:faint:

PsyOps

Pixelated
What is there to debate? I disagree that someone should automatically be killed because they committed a burglary.

I agree that someone should be able to defend themself and family.

I am pretty clear on that. I'll give you two scenarios. Man breaks into house, homeowner confronts him, man stands his ground, homeowner kills man. IMO good shoot.

Man breaks into home, homeowner confronts him, man turns to run away, homeowner shoots man in back. I disagree with the shot.

Now, you can add and take away from those in a million different directions. That is when it would be up to a court.

My position is clear. If the suspect is running away, then they should not die for a burglary. This is my opinion which I am entitled to.

Actually I think you've been rather inconsistent. You mentioned on multiple posts that burglary doesn’t warrant the death penalty, but then try to climb your way out of this with a “flee” angle. At what point does a citizen decide that they can defend themselves. How do you determine, absolutely, that the person is fleeing? How do you know they aren’t just going to move on to another house? How do you know they haven’t already harmed someone in your house? How do you know they don’t have others outside your house that wont just come back in larger numbers? How is a citizen supposed to make a plethora of judgments in an instant while thinking about protecting his family and self?

This_person

It wasn't in the original story, which was taken from a blog which is pro-gun ownership. If you read original accounts taken from newspapers, it reveals the Government's case was based on one of the individuals being shot as he was climbing out the window, and the other individual being shot in the back.

My point is I don't believe you should be able to kill someone who is running away from you. That's the law of the land and has been in my world at least since Garner V. Tennessee, 1985.

I am all for increasing the penalty, 25 years, 30 years, but to kill a person who is running away, I think is cowardly.

If a person is facing you, or not facing you, but still a threat, I have always said you should elimnate the threat.

Another poster said you should be allowed to shoot someone who is tresspassing on your property. Where do we stop?
I would submit to you that allowing criminals to come to your property repeatedly is too much.

A person "merely" trespassing may be one thing, but when that person is carrying off your television and wife's jewelry case is something else.

Where does it stop? When the criminals are too afraid to commit their crimes, that's where it stops.

ImnoMensa

I believe there are a couple of states such as Floida and Texas where it is legal to shoot a fleeing burglar, Without adding to this article, may I just say I wish Maryland was another of these and "Amen" Brother.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And that is your opinion, I disagree.

I value life. I think a person who committs a property crime should not be put to death.

I think life is more important than property.

But it's ok to send someone away for life for protecting it?

You're so full of ####, and it's the imbeciles that think like you that cause law abiding people to continue to be victims, and suffer the consequences of the law, while the criminals are made out to be heroes or great people.

The criminal sues, and wins, while the citizen gets to rot in a jail cell.

If that's your idea of fair, I think you should move, far, far away. I really don't want a cop in my county working that has that idea of fair. i can imagine being gun barrel to gun barrel with a criminal on my property and you showing up and shooting me because I was being unfair to the criminal.

Obviously, read this article.

Phoenix officer won't allow neighbor to get stranded cat - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

Just as they were about to get the cat, Smith said, "This guy comes barreling out of his house, flashed his gun and his badge, and started screaming and freaking out."

Toman added, "It's a little overkill".

We tried to speak with the officer to get his side of the story on what happened Monday afternoon and he asked us to call Police.

The Phoenix Police Department said their officer has a right to defend his property.
They add that there is no way the officer could have known whether Smith and Toman were intruders or not.

Their officer, see? It's ok if you are a cop, but if that had been a private citizen do you think he would still be in possession of his weapon? Or even in his own house?

smcop

Actually I think you've been rather inconsistent. You mentioned on multiple posts that burglary doesn’t warrant the death

No, I am quite consistent. I am not instructing a citizen on how to determine if someone is running or not, I am saying if they are fleeing, I don't believe their life should end over a non-violent crime.

I have stated several time, almost on every post, that a person should defend themselves and eliminate the threat.

I don't know if they will move to another house. I am not speculating on what they may or may not do because there are too many variables.

All the other stuff in your post is just noise. A person has to do what they believe is best when they are threatened. I am talking about when the person is leaving. I'm not playing the what if game. I am clear on what I believe. If it is a burglary, then I don't believe the person should die.

What I am saying is this. If you are preserving life, or the protection of ones self or others, then do what is necessary. It is my opinion, that one should not DIE for a property crime. That is all. Why so defensive?

smcop

But it's ok to send someone away for life for protecting it?

If that's your idea of fair, I think you should move, far, far away. I really don't want a cop in my county working that has that idea of fair.

So now you want me to move because you don't like how I think? Sorry Barron Von Claus.

Last edited:

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

In your country, most guns were outlawed years before, and the few That are privately owned are so stringently regulated as to make them useless. Yours was never registered. Police arrive and inform you that the second burglar has died. They arrest you for First Degree Murder and Illegal Possession of a Firearm. When you talk to your attorney, he tells you not to worry: authorities will probably plea the case down to manslaughter.

Should have just registered the gun :shrug:
If I shot someone in my home with an unregistered handgun, what would the charges on me be? If it had been registered, there is an arguement, but it wasn't :shrug: