Reality of Gun Ownership

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Really, where did you shoot with these officers? Lets see, there are approximately 350 Charles County Officers, 120 St. Mary's Officers, and 110 Calvert County Officers and you say you have shot with MOST of them.

Read what I posted and not what your prejudice makes you see. No where did I post that I had shot with most of the officers of those counties. I posted that I have shot with officers from those counties and most of them (meaning those I shot with) were not very good.

I have no prejudice against cops. I have a prejudice against cops that use their position to disobey the law, even the trivial laws. Officers of the court, judges, police, lawyers, et al, should be examples to the community. They should endeavour to be above reproach when it comes to obeying the law.

Novus Collectus

I think every intelligent person on here would agree that it is a bad idea to use a taser.
I disagree. Using a taser is better than throwing rocks (unless you are Scottish). I think it is more accurate to say that relying on a taser over many other better methods to protect your life is a bad idea.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I disagree. Using a taser is better than throwing rocks (unless you are Scottish). I think it is more accurate to say that relying on a taser over many other better methods to protect your life is a bad idea.

My wife has a taser. It now has the batteries removed and is in a drawer. It is a 200,000 volt one. We were wondering just how effective the thing would be so I let her zap my arm. Mild shock. No big deal. I let her do it again. Still nothing. All it would have done for me is to make me mad and attempt to break the person administering it in half or rip their throat out.

Novus Collectus

My wife has a taser. It now has the batteries removed and is in a drawer. It is a 200,000 volt one. We were wondering just how effective the thing would be so I let her zap my arm. Mild shock. No big deal. I let her do it again. Still nothing. All it would have done for me is to make me mad and attempt to break the person administering it in half or rip their throat out.

A Taser taser is very effective when the contacts are made. The problem is that there is no definite way to know the contacts will be made....however, if I had a Taser brand taser, I would feel a whole lot safer than if I only had a knife.

This_person

I answered the question. I just didn't do it in the cookie cutter manner that you wanted me to answer it. There are many ways to handle the myriad of situtuations which can occur. To give an example to an example without looking at the totality of the situation is narrow minded and ignorant.

Because I didn't answer the question the way you wanted me to answer the question doesn't mean it wasn't answered.
You answered, but it was an ambiguous non-answer.

Yes, because.... is an answer.

No, because..... is also an answer.

Well, you see, you should just do what you think is right...... Is not an answer to "what do you think is right?"

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
A Taser taser is very effective when the contacts are made. The problem is that there is no definite way to know the contacts will be made....however, if I had a Taser brand taser, I would feel a whole lot safer than if I only had a knife.

Maybe. Not sure what brand ours is and I'm not going to dig it out. I just know that some people have a greater tolerance to electric shock than others. When I was in my late teens or early twenties, an electrician friend taught me how to test a fuse box circuit to see if it was live; put your finger in to the center contact (fuse box remember) and rock finger to the side. A little buzz and the circuit has 120 V on it. It was quicker than a VOM.

Anyway, not sure if a Taser taser would zap me any better than ours did, but if someone tried and it didn't, they better prepare to get whooped.

PulseStart

Go Bills!
Maybe. Not sure what brand ours is and I'm not going to dig it out. I just know that some people have a greater tolerance to electric shock than others. When I was in my late teens or early twenties, an electrician friend taught me how to test a fuse box circuit to see if it was live; put your finger in to the center contact (fuse box remember) and rock finger to the side. A little buzz and the circuit has 120 V on it. It was quicker than a VOM.

Anyway, not sure if a Taser taser would zap me any better than ours did, but if someone tried and it didn't, they better prepare to get whooped.

That works in a residential setting...you don't what to do that in a 480 box fed by 4160.

smcop

Read what I posted and not what your prejudice makes you see. No where did I post that I had shot with most of the officers of those counties. I posted that I have shot with officers from those counties and most of them (meaning those I shot with) were not very good.

I have no prejudice against cops. I have a prejudice against cops that use their position to disobey the law, even the trivial laws. Officers of the court, judges, police, lawyers, et al, should be examples to the community. They should endeavour to be above reproach when it comes to obeying the law.

That is exactly my point. You go to the range with a couple of officers and they are not the best shots in the world so you come on here and say you have shot with police officers from all of the counties and MOST of them are poor shots. You are trying to send the message that police officers in these three counties are not very good shots, when instead you should be saying the police officers that would allow you to train with them are not very good shots.

Certainly you have a prejudice against cops. You belive cops break the law and lump all police officers into a category in your posts. You don't individualize police officers you count them all as one.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I wouldn't say that. You have to look at the totality of the situation. If the guy is not armed, but is bigger and stronger, and is attacking you, why wouldn't you shoot him in your own home? Even if he is not bigger and stronger than you, why would you take the chance in your own home?

If you wait for someone to attack you in your home before shooting, you've waited too long, and there should be no law making an attack necessary to be a legal shooting.

If he's INSIDE my home at 2am, or at 2PM, he gained entry by other than legal means, and I didn't invite him or know him.. I shouldn't have to wait for him to do anything.

I have the right to defend my home and my family, and the point when he entered my home, he became a viable threat to my family, I couldn't give less than a rats ass what his intentions may have been.

iamanmpd

If you wait for someone to attack you in your home before shooting, you've waited too long, and there should be no law making an attack necessary to be a legal shooting.

If he's INSIDE my home at 2am, or at 2PM, he gained entry by other than legal means, and I didn't invite him or know him.. I shouldn't have to wait for him to do anything.

I have the right to defend my home and my family, and the point when he entered my home, he became a viable threat to my family, I couldn't give less than a rats ass what his intentions may have been.

I think I can speak for smcop..lol. Nobody said wait till someone attacks you. What was said, is I don't believe someone shoot be executed for running away or surrendering during a burglary. Defend your home. That is your right.

This_person

I think I can speak for smcop..lol. Nobody said wait till someone attacks you. What was said, is I don't believe someone shoot be executed for running away or surrendering during a burglary. Defend your home. That is your right.
So, defend one's home up to (but not including) the point the criminal turns to run away?

That makes sense :rolleyes:

Last edited:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
That is exactly my point. You go to the range with a couple of officers and they are not the best shots in the world so you come on here and say you have shot with police officers from all of the counties and MOST of them are poor shots. You are trying to send the message that police officers in these three counties are not very good shots, when instead you should be saying the police officers that would allow you to train with them are not very good shots.

Certainly you have a prejudice against cops. You belive cops break the law and lump all police officers into a category in your posts. You don't individualize police officers you count them all as one.

The officers did not allow me to train with them. If anything, I allowed them to train since I was the RSO. Care to try again? I have no prejudice against cops. I shoot with several on a regular basis. Some are excellent shots and a I enjoy my time with them. Most of the officers I have shot with or observed shoot are not very accurate.

I have a real problem with officers of the court, cops or otherwise not obeying the law. A police officer I went to church with bragged that he was doing over 100MPH to make it to church on time. Wrong thing to do on many levels. I have seen many cops make turns and change lanes without properly signaling. I have seen cops run stop signs and they were not responding to anything. I have seen cops turn on their lights, hit their siren, and go through a red light only to turn off their lights within a block or two of the intersection. If those infractions were isolated, except for the 100MPH stuff, I'd say, eh, he forgot or the call must have been canceled, but it happens too often to be anything other than the abuse of power by a cop. I am certain not all cops abuse their power but enough do to make the rest under the cloud.

iamanmpd

The officers did not allow me to train with them. If anything, I allowed them to train since I was the RSO.

Ok, so you are a range officer. That would mean that you are in one county, not the three, or you are shooting with rookies who may be learning to shoot.

Care to try again? I have no prejudice against cops. I shoot with several on a regular basis.

Have you ever been with officers on dynamic shooting drills? Transition drills? If not, then I again state my position that you no not what you speak of!

Some are excellent shots and a I enjoy my time with them. Most of the officers I have shot with or observed shoot are not very accurate.

Again, if the scores of at least one of the agencies in Southern Maryland are averaging 88%, I would say that MOST of the officers in that agency are accurate. That is factual information.

I have a real problem with officers of the court, cops or otherwise not obeying the law. A police officer I went to church with bragged that he was doing over 100MPH to make it to church on time. Wrong thing to do on many levels. I have seen many cops make turns and change lanes without properly signaling. I have seen cops run stop signs and they were not responding to anything. I have seen cops turn on their lights, hit their siren, and go through a red light only to turn off their lights within a block or two of the intersection. If those infractions were isolated, except for the 100MPH stuff, I'd say, eh, he forgot or the call must have been canceled, but it happens too often to be anything other than the abuse of power by a cop. I am certain not all cops abuse their power but enough do to make the rest under the cloud.

The cop that bragged about going a hundred is a jackass. What did you do about it? Are you just one to critisize or are you a man and do the right thing? Changing lanes without a signal is not against the law, it has to be an unsafe lane change. It is the policy of at least two of the Southern Maryland Agencies that when responding to certain code calls, you turn your emergency equipment on to clear traffic, then turn it off once traffic is cleared. Don't be angry at the officers for obeying their policy.

And to your last sentence, you show you are prejudiced there, by stating that the some officers who abuse their power put the rest under a cloud. Why not judge the individual?

This_person

No, if someone is running away, then why do you need to defend it anymore? wow! :whistle:
If they're still there, they're still a threat. Even if they're running away, they're a threat for coming back.

It simply cannot pass a common sense test to suggest that an appropriate level of defense becomes inappropriate the moment the criminal turns to leave. On that logic, any person you go to pull over for speeding should be instantly let go the moment they fall under the speed limit.