Recently started jogging.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
BB> Look to tree nuts (my go to are pistachios and almonds) as sources for your fats and proteins. Peanut butter is another staple in my eating habits. (Hate the term 'diet') Meal replacement shakes are definitely in my cupboards too.

BlueBird

BB and Bob - Find the right shoe for you here > http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
myfitnesspal.com is a great website and app for your phone
mapmyrun.com

I try to eat 5 or 6 times a day, no processed foods, very low carb intake, no sodas, beer, fast food etc. I work out 30 minutes a day 7 days a week and I'm down 17# after 50 days. The initial movement on the scale may take time to appear but you have to stick with it and one day you are going to step out of the shower and say, "Hey, I remember you from about X years ago."

Your diet sounds very much like mine. Congratulations on your weight loss. I just went for a 2 mile brisk walk. No running today, that will happen tomorrow. I'm going to shoot for 3 miles again. Like you, I'm going to try and do something everyday even if it's just going for a 2 mile walk. I purchased my last pair of running shoes using the link you provided. Probably time for another pair since that was 5 years ago and I am noticeably larger now.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Sardines are fantastic to eat. High protein, good fats, no mercury. Give them a try. If you have never had them don't be scared.

BlueBird

Sardines are fantastic to eat. High protein, good fats, no mercury. Give them a try. If you have never had them don't be scared.

I love them. I ate can with my lunch two days ago. Today is fish Friday, so it was Tuna for lunch and we'll have grilled salmon for dinner tonight, brown rice and a big healthy salad. I really like the spring mix you can buy already packaged.

BlueBird

This is a fantastic article on dieting, more specifically calorie counting. I stumbled on it while researching my high protein, low carb, low fat diet. I highly encourage everyone to read it. I thought 160 grams of carbs was low but the article suggests that we should all limit our carb intake to 100 grams, or lower each day.

http://healthyenough.net/calorie-counting/

hitchicken

Low carbs - No energy

Bluebird. The article is largely correct, but extremely biased against against calorie counting with its inflammatory words. 100 grams of carbs a day and you won't have the energy to run or do much else. 200-300 is more reasonable. I see you tracking your food and using a postal meter for weighing. And you are accurately calculating calories consumed. Good for you. I'd imagine a man your height and current weight could easily consume less than 2300 calories a day and rapidly lose weight.

Just estimates: 1/3 of Americans are normal or below normal weight. 1/3 are considered overweight. The last 1/3 are obese, with 1 in 20 'morbidly obese'. Why? Because dieting is hard. Why? 3 main reasons (other reasons are just extensions)

1. Evolution - For 2 million years, humans were scavengers, gatherers and later hunters. Finding food was a priority. The mantra was 'Eat what can whenever you find it.' Those who didn't starved. That evolved psychological imperative still exists in our psyche because of evolution.

2. Taste - Grains, rice, corn, potatoes taste bland and bad without sugar, salt, fat or flavorings (natural or chemical). Food manufacturers and producers know this. In just the last 150 years, they developed an industry to enhanced these cheap and easily produced food 'base' substances to 'taste good'. (as well as look, smell and have the right mouth texture) I've made baked corn chips without salt or fat. The texture and look were good. But the taste and smell? There was none. Doiritos can take that same chip and add oil, salt and flavorings and you will eat the whole bag. That's the difference.

3. Immediate Gratification - Who doesn't want that? A pay raise. Win the lottery? (name your own). That nice tempting pizza, chicken, steak, whatever is right in front of you. You're not thinking about the slim, trim, healthy you of the seemingly distant future. You're thinking about wolfing down that_______________ (fill in the blank.)

Dieting ain't easy. That's why so many people are fat. But it can be done. Calorie counting can be tedious, but you're already doing it.

Yes, you may feel hungry. Yes, you may fail on some days. But, heck, people often fast for days and even weeks. Do you think they might feel 'hungry'?. But that's what it takes. A no quit dedication. There is only one way to lost weight.

Call it 'will power', 'personal responsibility', 'dedication' or anything else you want. That's what it takes. You only have one go around. Don't waste it.

BlueBird

I didn't take the article as calorie counting bashing. I took the article more along the lines of, just counting calories alone doesn't tell the whole story. The person who wrote it even eluded to that at the end. I do believe our bodies will learn to turn whatever we eat in to energy over time. Keep the carbs away it will burn fat, keep the fat away it will burn protein converted to glucose. Right now I am on day 4 of counting calories and I'm doing well weighing and logging everything. It will get easier because as a creature of habit I'll be able to import the same meals in to different days, so keeping track won't take as much time. Today is my second day in a row below 1500 calories. That's right 1500 calories that's it! I don't feel overly hungry and when I see my bloated stomach it's easy to tell myself that I'm not starving.

I'll keep my carbs around 160 as per my doctor. I hoep I get used to eating this way all the time, it's not so bad.

hitchicken

1500 cals is going to be hard for a man your size. 160 grams carbs... you're going to feel tired, lethargic. I'm worried your going too far to start. Best wishes.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It doesn't sound like a lot but it was satisfying.

225 calories
36 grams of carbs
7 grams of protein
3 grams of fat
7 grams of fiber
Low sodium

How many grams of carbs are you eating per day? I looked up how much is average based on a 2,000 calorie diet and I am way, way under. I'm finding it difficult to get my calorie intake where I want it with out exceeding my carb goals. The only way to make it up is with protein because I need to keep my fat intake low.

If I can get down to lets say a 8-9 minute mile I'll run some 5 and maybe even 10K races.

When I'm low carbing I keep it around 30-40 grams a day.. Even less if I really pay attention. Premise is your body burns carbs for energy- no carbs it goes after your body fat for energy.. I can melt pounds away fast without exerting.any energy.. I'm going to find.out.how well it works while running too

BlueBird

1500 cals is going to be hard for a man your size. 160 grams carbs... you're going to feel tired, lethargic. I'm worried your going too far to start. Best wishes.

You might be right but so far I feel like I have a lot of energy. Friday I walked 4.8 miles and burned around 500 calories. My total intake was 1653 and that included popcorn at the movies. I went over my daily sodium intake but I probably sweated that off walking anyways. I'm a little sore but otherwise I'm feeling good. If I start to crash I'll add some more carbs. Sure would make it easier to reach my target calories if I upped my carbs.

BlueBird

When I'm low carbing I keep it around 30-40 grams a day.. Even less if I really pay attention. Premise is your body burns carbs for energy- no carbs it goes after your body fat for energy.. I can melt pounds away fast without exerting.any energy.. I'm going to find.out.how well it works while running too

Keep me posted on how well this works with running. I'm going to keep my carbs where they are at for the next few weeks and then slowly start to drop them more over time. I think right now my body is asking what the H*ll are you doing to me. My legs sure are sore! Think I might have shin splints too as the front of my lower legs where the bone is, is very sore.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Keep me posted on how well this works with running. I'm going to keep my carbs where they are at for the next few weeks and then slowly start to drop them more over time. I think right now my body is asking what the H*ll are you doing to me. My legs sure are sore! Think I might have shin splints too as the front of my lower legs where the bone is, is very sore.

Dropping carbs too fast will give you the shakes. After time of adjustment, I suggest the Paleo diet. My hub went through the same thing at first. When he started eating more healthy, I started eating more healthy. The thing about it is that once you cross the threshold of eating healthy, you can eat any thing you want. Hope that makes sense. My hub's fave food is bacon with all the fat, but his cholesterol is way below normal now; he had a history of very high cholesterol and is off the meds, now. There is definitely something to the running thing. I have witnessed it.

As far as your shin splints and overall body aches, that is normal. Your body is telling you not to over do. Use the icing and warming thing depending on your injury. My hub has multiple early life injuries he had to overcome, plus horrible blisters, and walking like he just got off riding a horse for the first time. :lol: One time after a race, when he stopped at Wawa and was crossing the parking lot, someone came up to him, and asked if he needed assistance. You can do it!

Just to let you know. My hub is 5' 10" and 160. It doesn't matter the height or weight. It is the health of it all, and what it does to your insides.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I can relate. I have flat feet and this affects my ankles, as well as the shins when I walk or run for lengths of time. I have had been prone to shin splints my whole life, but I've also seriously twisted and sprained both ankles in the last 6 years. So, that has contributed to my issues.

The very bad shin splints could be because you have just started or a sign that you need better arch support. I do have great shoes for walking, but I also use inserts when I will be doing a lot of it. Or on my feet all day in them, etc. I could spend $100's on specially designed orthotics, but they won't fit in all the cute shoes I like. Anyhoo, my orthopedist told me to get the Dr. Scholl's type of inserts at Walmart, - the ones where you step on a platform and it gives you a readout on the type for my feet. They cost more than the "regular" inserts you can buy, but are way less than custom-made orthotics. They really help me with shin splints.

You're doing great, and I enjoy hearing about your progress so I hope you keep sharing. :yay:

BlueBird

Thanks Bann and Littleday. I woke up this morning feeling fantastic. For breakfast I had two eggs scrambled with 1 slice of chopped onion, 1/2 a jalepeno pepper, 1 small sweet orange pepper, 1 cup black coffee, 1 English muffin toasted with 1/2 table spoon of real butter and 1 oz of red grapes. I feel full and the best thing is that it was only 400 calories, 39 grams of carbs. I've been measuring and weighing everything! I'm taking a day off from physical activity to give my body time to heal a bit. I'll run tomorrow. Now I'm looking for a good pair of running shoes as my current pair seem a little wore out. I like the shoe finder thing at runners world but I really need to try some on in person before I commit to a pair. After all my next pair will end up having many miles on them so they have to be up to the task.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

somdfunguy

not impressed
I'm telling you guys, you need to read that thread I posted about Naturally Slim. The main part of it is not hanging what you eat but how you eat. Chew slow, eat for 10 minutes and then take a 5 minute break. This allows your brain to catch up with your stomach.

BlueBird

I'm telling you guys, you need to read that thread I posted about Naturally Slim. The main part of it is not hanging what you eat but how you eat. Chew slow, eat for 10 minutes and then take a 5 minute break. This allows your brain to catch up with your stomach.

I read it and it was a good read. On my current diet over eating isn't a problem and I always eat slow. I'm old and fat what else I got to do? Thank you for the link I did find it informative. At the rate I'm going I'll be slim in about a year.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Thanks Bann and Littleday. I woke up this morning feeling fantastic. For breakfast I had two eggs scrambled with 1 slice of chopped onion, 1/2 a jalepeno pepper, 1 small sweet orange pepper, 1 cup black coffee, 1 English muffin toasted with 1/2 table spoon of real butter and 1 oz of red grapes. I feel full and the best thing is that it was only 400 calories, 39 grams of carbs. I've been measuring and weighing everything! I'm taking a day off from physical activity to give my body time to heal a bit. I'll run tomorrow. Now I'm looking for a good pair of running shoes as my current pair seem a little wore out. I like the shoe finder thing at runners world but I really need to try some on in person before I commit to a pair. After all my next pair will end up having many miles on them so they have to be up to the task.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

I haven't been yet, but several people I know love this store, http://www.annapolisrunningshop.com/ I think they check your gait and things associated with how you run to get you shoes that work best for you.

BlueBird

I haven't been yet, but several people I know love this store, http://www.annapolisrunningshop.com/ I think they check your gait and things associated with how you run to get you shoes that work best for you.

I picked up a pair of Brooks Ghost 8 Saturday. They measured my foot and checked my arch while sitting and standing and they had me try on several different pairs and let me run around the parking lot a little to see how they felt. The Brooks felt the best so that is what I bought. I'll be taking them for a spin this evening. I took yesterday off. Saturday night I wore them on a short walk and they felt very good.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I picked up a pair of Brooks Ghost 8 Saturday. They measured my foot and checked my arch while sitting and standing and they had me try on several different pairs and let me run around the parking lot a little to see how they felt. The Brooks felt the best so that is what I bought. I'll be taking them for a spin this evening. I took yesterday off. Saturday night I wore them on a short walk and they felt very good.

Brooks (Addiction) is the brand I have! :cartwheel:

They were recommended to me by the store in PF that used to be over in the Safeway parking lot.

I am in the market for some new ones and that style is gone from stores, so I have another style I am looking at. (Adrenaline)

BlueBird

Brooks (Addiction) is the brand I have! :cartwheel:

They were recommended to me by the store in PF that used to be over in the Safeway parking lot.

I am in the market for some new ones and that style is gone from stores, so I have another style I am looking at. (Adrenaline)

I really like Brooks. I had an older pair that I put some miles on before I allowed myself to get this heavy and out of shape. You seem to be in great shape so I think the adrenaline may work for you. For me they didn't feel like they had enough support for me when I tried them on. My arches collapse a bit under my weight and as a result I go from having a nice arch (when sitting down) to more of a flat foot (when standing up). this should change as my weight decreases. I also have a slight pronation problem and tend to wear out the outer edges of my heals so a good stability shoe works best for me. Brooks do very well in the expert reviews and it seems you can't go wrong with them. The Mizuno shoe (not sure which model) were the most uncomfortable. They felt like there were some pressure points around the outer ball of my foot and I knew right away they weren't the shoe for me.

I'm no expert on running shoes so having a runner spend an hour fitting me to the proper shoe was an amazing experience.