Redskins sign...

...uh, would you do your best for 7 year/72 mil or would you risk ending up with a 1/2 mil?

otter said it; the Raiders cut him. The Raiders.

All this proves is that Vin and Dan still like anything shiny and new that catches their attention.

Don't get me wrong, the first thing I thought when I heard he was cut was - man, I hope the Redskins don't go do something stupid and sign this guy. That having been said, since they didn't commit any money or years to him, maybe they'll get lucky and reality will have finally set in for him. Probably not, but if it doesn't work out they haven't lost much. I think that their locker room has enough strong personalities not to let him become a cancer - they'll send him on down the road before they let that happen.

BuddyLee

Football addict
...uh, would you do your best for 7 year/72 mil or would you risk ending up with a 1/2 mil?

otter said it; the Raiders cut him. The Raiders.
Who wants to play in the black hole, really? Randy Moss took a huge pay cut to get outta there. Randy Moss!

All this proves is that Vin and Dan still like anything shiny and new that catches their attention.
That may be but apparently half the league felt the same way.

BuddyLee

Football addict
SI: Why Hall didn't work in Oakland

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...uzz/index.html

The Raiders' surprising decision to release two-time Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall after only eight games is another example of a free agent not being an ideal "fit" for a team's scheme. Hall, the eighth overall pick in the 2004 draft, was acquired in the offseason to join Nnamdi Asomugha in forming one of the league's top cornerback duos. But Hall didn't play up to his all-star status in the man-to-man scheme, losing his job in midweek but reportedly signing on with the Redskins at week's end.

"[The Raiders] didn't get what they thought they were getting," said a former NFL secondary coach. "He has skills, but he is not the kind of shut-down corner they envisioned."

In the Raiders' aggressive "bump and run" scheme, Hall and Asomugha were expected to maul and shut down receivers at the line, thereby disrupting the timing of the opponent's passing game. When used in conjunction with a blitz-heavy pass rush, the scheme forces the quarterback to complete a series of low percentage throws under duress. The scheme has been a hallmark of the Raiders since the days of Hall of Famer Willie Brown, and Hall was expected to thrive in it due to his exceptional athleticism.

However, the marriage appeared flawed from the beginning because of Hall's preference for playing "off" coverage. Although Hall has the speed and athleticism to excel as a "bump and run" corner, the "ball hawk" is at his best when allowed to sit back and read the quarterback. By using the "clue" technique, Hall aggressively jumps short-to-intermediate routes while reading the quarterback's drop. He mastered the technique while playing in a zone-based scheme in Atlanta and has used it to tally the third-most interceptions (18) in the league since 2005. He was leading the Raiders with three interceptions and ranked third in the league in passes defensed (16).

"He wasn't playing well," said an NFC personnel director. "But it wasn't as poorly as it has been portrayed."

It's important to look at how teams successfully targeted Hall during the first eight games. According to data compiled by STATS LLC, Hall allowed 40 receptions for 552 yards in 66 pass attempts thrown in his direction this season. That's the most of any other defender in the league, and is not acceptable for a player who was viewed as a "shut-down" corner by the organization.

"When you paying a guy top dollar, you expect to get big time results and he wasn't playing to that level," said a former NFL secondary coach.

While the transition to a new scheme partially contributed to Hall's disappointing performance, other factors played a part too. Hall, who spent the first four seasons of his career as the Falcons' top corner, was targeted more often at Oakland due to the presence of Asomugha on the opposite side. With Asomugha emerging as one of the league's top "bump and run" corners, offenses opted to take advantage of Hall's soft coverage. Thus, he spent the first half of the season under siege, and the pressure of the relentless attacks likely led to him losing some of his confidence.

"Whenever you get that much attention and you give up a few plays, it's going to cause you to play tentative at times," said an NFC personnel director.

But don't be surprised if Hall regains his Pro Bowl form with Washington. The 'Skins feature a blitz-heavy scheme that encourages its corners to aggressive play short-to-intermediate throws. Hall's knack for reading the quarterback should fit in nicely within the scheme. In addition, his new position coach (Jerry Gray) is one of the best at teaching the nuances of the position. If Hall takes to his coaching, he will learn how to properly gamble in the back end without exposing himself to negative plays. Gray transformed Samari Rolle into a Pro Bowl player as a Titan, and he could take Hall's game from good to great in Washington.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Adam Schefter

What’s just as notable as the team cornerback DeAngelo Hall chose are the ones he didn’t.

Hall heard from Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, each of whom tried to persuade the former Raiders cornerback to sign with his respective team.

(Random question: If Hall was such a bad influence, why did two of the most respected defensive-minded head coaches in the game pursue him the way they did?)
wink.gif

Ultimately, the Redskins offered something no other team could: the chance to play in his backyard.

Hall is from Virginia and played college football at Virginia Tech. The Redskins asked Hall, “Why’d you pick Virginia Tech when you could have gone to any school in the country?”

And Hall told them because he wanted to be close to home. Now, after agreeing to a one-year, pro-rated $1 million deal with the Redskins that will pay him $492,000 for finishing the season in Washington, Hall will be close to home.

He is scheduled to arrive in Washington on Friday night, undergo a physical then and sign his contract.

The Redskins also promised Hall they would not slap their franchise tag on him after this season but, with their tight salary-cap situation in 2009, they could not afford to do that anyway. Still, the two sides already have discussed the possibility of signing a long-term agreement and if the engagement works out, the marriage always could be consummated.
But for now, the Redskins are happy to have Hall to help them make their playoff push.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/07/hall...lers-patriots/
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Don't get me wrong, the first thing I thought when I heard he was cut was - man, I hope the Redskins don't go do something stupid and sign this guy. That having been said, since they didn't commit any money or years to him, maybe they'll get lucky and reality will have finally set in for him. Probably not, but if it doesn't work out they haven't lost much. I think that their locker room has enough strong personalities not to let him become a cancer - they'll send him on down the road before they let that happen.

...the thing is depth, late draft picks. Undrafted free agents. We need to be stockpiling those guys, not picking punters. We, Vin and all, hit a home run with Horton. You gotta have those late draft picks and then you're stocked up with young guys who will at least know the system, be part of the team, young nobodies hungry and eager to play special teams, work for an opportunity.

Then, opportunity knocks and maybe you get a gem. If nothing else, you got guys young, cheap and hungry.

Just my thoughts.

scratch

From a disgruntled Raiders Fan...I say this...You guys can have him...Hopefully he won't drop as many balls and get burned on coverage every week like he did with us...He sucks!!! Atlanta had a field day with him last week....Message to Tony Romo next week...Throw in Hall's direction all day long and victory will be yours!!! From the Raiders to the Skins...Hahahaha..Maybe we can trade Al davis to you too...

Peter Forsberg

You gotta do something to stay up with Jerry Jones payroll. You need offense not defense. How many cornerbacks do you need. Well Smoot does suck.

Otter

Nothing to see here
One of the talking heads yesterday said it wasn't so much that the redskins wanted him, it was more about keeping the cowboys from getting him. Dumb move either way IMO

jetmonkey

Yeah that worked out great when they traded a third round pick to keep Duckett away from the Eagles, lols :yay:
One of the talking heads yesterday said it wasn't so much that the redskins wanted him, it was more about keeping the cowboys from getting him. Dumb move either way IMO

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...aka an "Albert Belle"; to cut ones nose off to spite ones face. Aka an "Angelos".

:jameo:

BuddyLee

Football addict
From a disgruntled Raiders Fan...I say
:lmao:

this......Hopefully he won't drop as many balls
A DB isn't supposed to have good hands, otherwise they'd be a WR. BTW, your top corner is p*ssed like Hell that Hall was let go so early.

Oh, Hall also had the most interceptions on your team.:lmao: He also has more interceptions this year than all the Redskins CB's combined.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I don't buy that BS analysis. Half the league was interested in the kid.

Springs is old and feeble. The Redskins are hoping for a replacement. They also need a solid punt returner, which he flourished at in Virginia Tech.

If Hall ends up working out the Skins don't have to worry about drafting another corner next year. They can focus on the D and O lines in the draft, finally.:yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I don't buy that BS analysis. Half the league was interested in the kid.

Springs is old and feeble. The Redskins are hoping for a replacement. They also need a solid punt returner, which he flourished at in Virginia Tech.

If Hall ends up working out the Skins don't have to worry about drafting another corner next year. They can focus on the D and O lines in the draft, finally.:yay:

...talk about a BS analysis. You're saying we now may have a corner for life yet no one else, including Dallas, was interested in him.

If you take this homer business beyond reason it starts to sound silly.

:buddies:

BuddyLee

Football addict
...talk about a BS analysis. You're saying we now may have a corner for life yet no one else, including Dallas, was interested in him.

If you take this homer business beyond reason it starts to sound silly.

:buddies:
May or may not. Vet. Min is worth that risk as far as I and most teams are concerned.

Dallas was interested in him, as well as fourteen other teams including but not limited to the Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Giants and New England Patriots. Defenses who are no slouches whatsoever. If he's such a drag, why would these hallmark defensive teams even inquire?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

May or may not. Vet. Min is worth that risk as far as I and most teams are concerned.

Dallas was interested in him, as well as fourteen other teams including but not limited to the Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Giants and New England Patriots. Defenses who are no slouches whatsoever. If he's such a drag, why would these hallmark defensive teams even inquire?

...for the same obvious reasons; to help themselves and, perhaps, to prevent another team from getting him.

For us, this is just another marquee name used part. We'll see how he plays. Just don't get your hopes up too much and don't poo poo otter; he knows all.

BuddyLee

Football addict
...for the same obvious reasons; to help themselves and, perhaps, to prevent another team from getting him.

For us, this is just another marquee name used part. We'll see how he plays. Just don't get your hopes up too much
Hopes up?!?! I'm a Redskins fan!:roflmao:

I know what kind of player this guy is. He can turn out to be decent or he can be a total bust. 50/50 as I see it. Let's see what he's got before we totally "Philly" him though.

and don't poo poo otter; he knows all.
I would never.:notworthy

I will poo poo on that talking head, whomever that was.:lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I know what kind of player this guy is. He can turn out to be decent or he can be a total bust. 50/50 as I see it.

See, this is an issue of the English language, as I see it. If you KNOW what kind of player he is, then it is not 50/50. You KNOW. Have you been reviewing Raider game film, comparing what he did in 8 games this season versus what defense was called?

The Raiders KNOW what kind of player he is, they had him, and they let him go. It's gonna take him time to get into our system. It's gonna take time for everyone to get to know one another and how they react on the field. It could be a month, game 12 or so, before he gets any meaningful time.
Given our corner play has been fantastic and Springs is gonna come back probably before week 12, this looks more like a move to keep him away from other teams than any actual benefit to us.

We'll see.

T

toppick08

Hopes up?!?! I'm a Redskins fan!:roflmao:

I know what kind of player this guy is. He can turn out to be decent or he can be a total bust. 50/50 as I see it. Let's see what he's got before we totally "Philly" him though.

I would never.:notworthy

I will poo poo on that talking head, whomever that was.:lol:

:rolleyes: