Redskins to get some Luck?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As you know, I thought the Skins trade to get in position to select Robert Griffin was a towering mistake. If the goal is to build a legitimate perennial super bowl challenger, you simply can't gut the entire roster by trading away so much for one player. Not a Manning. Not an Elway. Even more absurd is the fact that lower tier guys DO make their teams good year after year; Bree's and Brady come readily to mind. In any event, the Skins, as they do, came up with a dumb idea and executed it. They now are on record as having traded the most value of all time to get Griffin who may well be great but, it is still a team sport. :shrug:

But, wait! There's more! The Redskins traded away the farm not for Griffin but, for the SECOND pick. There is much rumbling of late that the Colts are getting cold feet over Luck, they, the Colts, having traded NOTHING for the #1 pick.

Now, if you are the Colts, you can do anything. Pick Luck. Pick RGIII. Trade the pick to, say, the Dallas Cowboys. Or...

Trade the pick to the Washington Redskins.

Yes, boys and girls, why not? If the Skins want RGIII sooooooooo bad, why, why not let 'em prove it. The Skins do have a 3 and two 4's and a 5 and 6.
Why wouldn't you let them give you the 3 and a 4 to ensure they get their guy? I mean, if you're the Colts, you can still do whatever you want and, in all seriousness, at this point, RGIII, is looking more and more like a Super star. I mean, the Redskins think he's good enough to do it on his own. Maybe he is?

Maddening, isn't it?

donbarzini

They now are on record as having traded the most value of all time to get Griffin who may well be great but, it is still a team sport. :shrug:

Maddening, isn't it?

What's maddening is, that NObody in this area seems to remember Herschel Walker to the Vikings which led to.....anybody? Bueller? "Aikman, Irvin, Smith".
Nor do they remember one even more egregious. Ditka and the Saints giving up EVERY SINGLE PICK to get Ricky Williams and his wedding dress. How did THAT one work out? So......while the Redskins have given up a ridiculous amount for what (I'm betting) will be another busted choice, they are not anywhere near the insanity of Herschel or Ricky.

Not a sermon.......

Metrocrap

#1 the Skins did not give up too much. You need a franchise QB to build a consistant winner.

#2 Luck and RGIII are both going to be great QBs and we should be fine with either one. I really do think that Indy will draft Luck.

Jeruby89

That has to be one of the dumbest arguments I have heard about this whole thing. Why would the Colts trade away their to the Redskins in hopes of getting more? Why risk not getting the "safest QB since Manning" and taking a risk on someone that they think will be good. It wouldn't make any sense for the Redskins either. If RG3 falls to the Redskins then great. If Luck falls to the Redskins, then even better.

thurley42

HY;FR
#1 the Skins did not give up too much. You need a franchise QB to build a consistant winner.

#2 Luck and RGIII are both going to be great QBs and we should be fine with either one. I really do think that Indy will draft Luck.

How do you know? You don't.....I'm sure everyone thought JaMarcus Russel, Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Cade McNown, Joey Harington, Akili Smith, and Tim Couch were going to be the saviors of thier teams....

The Redskins have 0 ability to develop QB's.....you can even take a proven winning QB and turn them in to complete crap.

If you guys really wanted to do everyone a favor, you'd spare these two kids careers and draft some good linemen.

Metrocrap

Your right. I don't know if RGIII will be a bust or one of the best. I just know that the Grossman/Beck route is done. We have some talent, especially on defense. Our offense has some flashes as well. It seemed that Grossman has a knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as he went color blind at the worst times. This team was very untalented aside from a handful of players when Shanahan took over. He has let the under performers off the team and I think that had a really good draft that plugged some holes.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
[/B]

How do you know? You don't.....I'm sure everyone thought JaMarcus Russel, Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Cade McNown, Joey Harington, Akili Smith, and Tim Couch were going to be the saviors of thier teams....

The Redskins have 0 ability to develop QB's.....you can even take a proven winning QB and turn them in to complete crap.

If you guys really wanted to do everyone a favor, you'd spare these two kids careers and draft some good linemen.

Sometimes you post as someone who may know sports...........this time not so much: Shanahan can't develop a QB? If your talking about McNabb, he was washed up when he got here and when he left, ask Viking fans how that worked out, we just took it in the ass again on signing him

thurley42

HY;FR
Sometimes you post as someone who may know sports...........this time not so much: Shanahan can't develop a QB? If your talking about McNabb, he was washed up when he got here and when he left, ask Viking fans how that worked out, we just took it in the ass again on signing him

What QB did shanahan ever develop. I'll wait. The only time he ever was successful was in denver with a loaded offense. He developed nothing.

Hank

my war

McNabb is a bitter bitter man....

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
What QB did shanahan ever develop. I'll wait. The only time he ever was successful was in denver with a loaded offense. He developed nothing.

You can't make chicken salad outta chicken #### either. I can't say he "developed" a QB but he has made them winners, found this online. Not sure if his years in SF were with Young or not but it seems as he created systems to make them winners, is that developing a QB?

Career record 152-108-0 (Regular Season)
8-5 (Postseason)
160-113-0 (Overall)
Super Bowl wins 1998 Super Bowl XXXIII
1997 Super Bowl XXXII
1994 Super Bowl XXIX
(Offensive Coordinator)
Championships won 1998 AFC Championship
1997 AFC Championship
1994 NFC Championship
(Offensive Coordinator)
1987 AFC Championship
(Offensive Coordinator)
1986 AFC Championship
(Offensive Coordinator

thurley42

HY;FR
You can't make chicken salad outta chicken #### either. I can't say he "developed" a QB but he has made them winners, found this online. Not sure if his years in SF were with Young or not but it seems as he created systems to make them winners, is that developing a QB?

Career record 152-108-0 (Regular Season)
8-5 (Postseason)
160-113-0 (Overall)
Super Bowl wins 1998 Super Bowl XXXIII
1997 Super Bowl XXXII
1994 Super Bowl XXIX
(Offensive Coordinator)
Championships won 1998 AFC Championship
1997 AFC Championship
1994 NFC Championship
(Offensive Coordinator)
1987 AFC Championship
(Offensive Coordinator)
1986 AFC Championship
(Offensive Coordinator

That's all with Epic QB's that he didn't develop....You and I could win with Montana, Young, and Elway. He went to the Raiders and had Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen and couldn't win!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's all with Epic QB's that he didn't develop....You and I could win with Montana, Young, and Elway. He went to the Raiders and had Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen and couldn't win!

That's not so. There isn't a Super bowl winner, ever, that wasn't about team. Not the Pats or Indy or any Bart Star teams. Joe Namath had a solid defense and running game. Montana never won alone nor Marino, the greatest one man show in league history.

Elway made Denver a contender every year pretty much on his own but, they, like everyone else, didn't win it all until they had a solid d and a running game. And solid special teams never hurt anyone either.

So, if you or anyone else had Elway AND a defense AND a running game, then, year, we could win and that's the point; the Redskins defense is nothing special at this point and there is no O line to speak of. So, Shanahan has got three major things, four if you count special teams, that are needed for Griffin, or anyone else, to shine.

The deck is stacked against this, huge.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That has to be one of the dumbest arguments I have heard about this whole thing. Why would the Colts trade away their to the Redskins in hopes of getting more? Why risk not getting the "safest QB since Manning" and taking a risk on someone that they think will be good. It wouldn't make any sense for the Redskins either. If RG3 falls to the Redskins then great. If Luck falls to the Redskins, then even better.

It's only dumb if you think Luck is a lock. The entire point is the Colts, not me, the Colts, are showing interest in RGIII. Is it to extort the highly extort-able Redskins or, maybe, having had more time, they just ain't feeling it with Luck so much any more AND are really seeing the upside of Griffin.

So, you're argument is dumb.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Your right. I don't know if RGIII will be a bust or one of the best. I just know that the Grossman/Beck route is done. We have some talent, especially on defense. Our offense has some flashes as well. It seemed that Grossman has a knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as he went color blind at the worst times. This team was very untalented aside from a handful of players when Shanahan took over. He has let the under performers off the team and I think that had a really good draft that plugged some holes.

Our offense has flashes of what?

Where is this talent on D? An unproven D lineman who had a major knee injury and hasn't played a snap in the NFL?

Orakpo has not moved to elite status and everyone knows they can run at him.

Kerrigan went down hill all season which is to be expected for a rookie but, he's no pro bowler yet.

We have ZERO skill people. Not one of our people, Davis, Moss, any RB's, start for a good offensive team.

Our leader, Fletcher, is being treated like chop live, arguing over a few bucks on a team that pisses millions away on all sorts of people who've done NOTHING for this club when he is the heart and soul.

And his replacement as team leader? Davis? Williams? I couple of stunningly selfish boys?

I think, in some ways, we are better than before Mike came to town. In some ways, nothing has changed and nothing proves that more than this idiotic trade for the #2 pick.

We are still 5-11. Two years running.

5-11

:buddies:

thurley42

HY;FR
That's not so. There isn't a Super bowl winner, ever, that wasn't about team. Not the Pats or Indy or any Bart Star teams. Joe Namath had a solid defense and running game. Montana never won alone nor Marino, the greatest one man show in league history.

Elway made Denver a contender every year pretty much on his own but, they, like everyone else, didn't win it all until they had a solid d and a running game. And solid special teams never hurt anyone either.

So, if you or anyone else had Elway AND a defense AND a running game, then, year, we could win and that's the point; the Redskins defense is nothing special at this point and there is no O line to speak of. So, Shanahan has got three major things, four if you count special teams, that are needed for Griffin, or anyone else, to shine.

The deck is stacked against this, huge.

Thank you for calling me out on my redonkulousness.....my point was all too often around here, Shannahan gets grouped into the likes of a Bellichek, or Bill Walsh. He was a product of Walsh sure, but he was regurgatating (sp?) Walsh's WCO. Elway was already going to the HOF, it was right place right time.

I will give him credit for one thing. Whether it was him or an assitant, his teams found great RB's in the middle of the drafts in the mid to late 90s.

But we are talking about taking a rookie QB, and not the NFL groomed Luck, probably RGIII. I think he has the potential to be good, but alot of it really has to do with the coaches you have around you. Shannahan hasn't got that credibility, and his kid is a flat out joke.

Our offense has flashes of what?

Where is this talent on D? An unproven D lineman who had a major knee injury and hasn't played a snap in the NFL?

Orakpo has not moved to elite status and everyone knows they can run at him.

Kerrigan went down hill all season which is to be expected for a rookie but, he's no pro bowler yet.

We have ZERO skill people. Not one of our people, Davis, Moss, any RB's, start for a good offensive team.

Our leader, Fletcher, is being treated like chop live, arguing over a few bucks on a team that pisses millions away on all sorts of people who've done NOTHING for this club when he is the heart and soul.

And his replacement as team leader? Davis? Williams? I couple of stunningly selfish boys?

I think, in some ways, we are better than before Mike came to town. In some ways, nothing has changed and nothing proves that more than this idiotic trade for the #2 pick.

We are still 5-11. Two years running.

5-11

You are def one of the only Redskins fans I like....:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thank you for calling me out on my redonkulousness.....my point was all too often around here, Shannahan gets grouped into the likes of a Bellichek, or Bill Walsh. He was a product of Walsh sure, but he was regurgatating (sp?) Walsh's WCO. Elway was already going to the HOF, it was right place right time.

I will give him credit for one thing. Whether it was him or an assitant, his teams found great RB's in the middle of the drafts in the mid to late 90s.

Well, it seems lots of people who were there, Young being primary, IIRC, that they DO credit him with helping them become a better QB. However, he didn't get Young as a rookie and I can't name anyone he has developed as a rookie. In any event, He was a good, solid coach but, his day is past and the Redskins are just not strong anywhere and that means enormous pressure on the kid be it Luck or Griffin.

But we are talking about taking a rookie QB, and not the NFL groomed Luck, probably RGIII. I think he has the potential to be good, but alot of it really has to do with the coaches you have around you. Shannahan hasn't got that credibility, and his kid is a flat out joke.

You are def one of the only Redskins fans I like....:buddies:

We, fans, judge everything in the harsh light of wins and losses which, for the most part, is fair enough. However, there are teams that are getting 'there' and there are teams just kinda spinning their wheels and there are teams on the decline. Rex has been to a SB. Going with him wasn't the worst idea of all time. That said, there sure seems to be scant evidence of what they EVER saw in Beck and McNabb was a classic Redskin stupid idea. If they, not Snyder, wanted him, man, not good.

BuddyLee

Football addict
There may be a few reasons not to draft a QB. There are 10x as many reasons not to, however.

If you covet a guy, grab him now or forever be run by Rex and the retreads.

To me, there is no other option. None. Zilch. Nothing. Not an inkling. Any other plausible football mind would agree and already has.

thurley42

HY;FR
There may be a few reasons not to draft a QB. There are 10x as many reasons not to, however.

To me, there is no other option. None. Zilch. Nothing. Not an inkling. Any other plausible football mind would agree and already has.

It's not that I don't agree.....it's just I hate to see a kids career over before it begins..

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Plausible football mind. :lol:

I'll have to remember that one!