Redskins to get some Luck?

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
With the schedule next year, I would be surprised to see us win 6 or more games. I believe the Redskins believe they're in re-build mode now. When Shanny first arrived he thought he could turn the team around and win now. There has been a youth movement ever since McNabb and Haynesworthless were shipped out.

The old guard is gone or on the way out.

5-11 isn't OK, obviously. With a rookie QB and a team who shows potential and promise for the future, that could help things out for sure.

I think we will be ok as long as we don't have O line injuries, depth is what got us last year....for the most part

Larry Gude

Strung Out
With the schedule next year, I would be surprised to see us win 6 or more games. I believe the Redskins believe they're in re-build mode now. When Shanny first arrived he thought he could turn the team around and win now. There has been a youth movement ever since McNabb and Haynesworthless were shipped out.

The old guard is gone or on the way out.

5-11 isn't OK, obviously. With a rookie QB and a team who shows potential and promise for the future, that could help things out for sure.

Ok, if we are rebuilding, why not rebuild??? New, young coach, a hot shot O coordinator that is in the game now and knows where everything is trending. Preferably not one with the last name that starts with an S.

Trade Williams and Davis and Landry and Moss for picks, let London go play his last years for a winner, let Griffin come in with a clean slate and be the leader by default.

All this feels like is the same old same old fence straddling going in three or four directions at once.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Ok, if we are rebuilding, why not rebuild??? New, young coach, a hot shot O coordinator that is in the game now and knows where everything is trending. Preferably not one with the last name that starts with an S.

Trade Williams and Davis and Landry and Moss for picks, let London go play his last years for a winner, let Griffin come in with a clean slate and be the leader by default.

All this feels like is the same old same old fence straddling going in three or four directions at once.

It's because you can't do all that. Vinny is gone but his carcass still stinks up the building. During his tenure the Redskins were the oldest team in the league many years running. They've been trending the other way slightly the last few years.

You can't trade Landry because he's a free-agent and now a JET. You wouldn't have gotten anything for him if you could.

You wouldn't get much of anything for an aging Cooley or a Moss on his last leg. Many are questioning whether Moss will even be on the roster with the additions of the other WR's this off-season. I would prefer to keep him for a few more years as a slot guy.

Giving up on Williams and Davis for making a "youth" mistake is just dumb. Those are perhaps your greatest assets now. Davis is a true play-maker and will shine. Before his suspension, Williams was dominant, especially in his last four games. RGIII will need Williams. This line will need a leader, which I believe Williams will grow into. It'll take some time, however as he's not the most apt individual. Of course, corn-fed football boys aren't usually.:lol:

The team defense and the team in general is vastly different without London Fletcher. He wanted to stay and the team wanted him to stay. They worked out a deal despite the leagues fines. You can't get rid of Fletch, not now at least.

So, while you want to get younger, you still have to be competitive. You have to tread water in this league at times to grow anywhere. You can't just throw guys into the fire consistently and hope for the best.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Giving up on Williams and Davis for making a "youth" mistake is just dumb. Those are perhaps your greatest assets now. .

Anyone with a plausible football :evil: mind knows that 'youth mistakes' of getting caught in a business where the average career is 4 years and the rules, and how to get around them, from dope to PED's, knows both these guys are lost causes. That they are our 'greatest' assets only makes it that much worse. A joint away from a year? Come on. You don't build around that. You just don't. They are pot heads and that's not unusual in pro sports. Getting caught for it in the NFL...

...that's dumb.

Every single person on that team now knows you get a free pass for a major #### up. These guys are not leaders yet that's their role. They're not even adults.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You can't trade Landry because he's a free-agent and now a JET. You wouldn't have gotten anything for him if you could. I knew that but, I think I was calling for trading him last year while there was still value.

You wouldn't get much of anything for an aging Cooley or a Moss on his last leg. Many are questioning whether Moss will even be on the roster with the additions of the other WR's this off-season. I would prefer to keep him for a few more years as a slot guy. .

Moss is another bad leader type. He blows his cool at bad moments, always has. This teams heart and soul is Fletcher and then...who? Not Moss.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, while you want to get younger, you still have to be competitive. You have to tread water in this league at times to grow anywhere. You can't just throw guys into the fire consistently and hope for the best.

:tap:

EVERYONE is competitive. The 0-16 lions of a few years ago were competitive coming close a bunch of games. Look at them now. They cleaned house, stocked up on picks, got their QB without giving away the farm and they are solid across the board and all those young guys are LIONS, not hired hands.

You mentioned the ghost of Vinny and that's what I thought we'd gotten away from the last two years; building picks, no huge, splashy deals. I felt the air come out of the ball with the RGIII trade. It's putting all the eggs in one basket all over again and ruining the balance of the team. You gotta love getting a guy like that but, at that price?

Your view is you sell the farm for that. Mine is you have no farm when you sell the farm.

:buddies:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
No one has traded away so much for one guy and done well. All sorts of teams have traded away one guy or one pick and cleaned up and built long term solid teams.

The idea is that we can, magically, get solid linemen and skill people with very few draft picks to use or trade when we could not do that when we had picks to use or trade and that magic is a rookie quarterback.

No? Don't remember '04?

I'll help...

04: New York Giants traded 2004 1st (which was the #4...), 2005 1st, 2004 3rd and 2005 5th. So, four picks for the #1.

12: Redskins trade 2012 1st (which is the #6), 2013 & 2014 1st, plus the second round pick for this year.

I don't really think they gave up too much if they feel he's going to be a franchise quarterback for years to come. What other quarterback was available that you felt would be competitive for ten years? Manning? Weeden? Tannehill? Not even close. Even if Luck falls to them, is that really a bad compensatory pick for trading what they did? They traded what they did because it was a win-win no matter what. It's like spending $10 on a $600 million mega-millions ticket and winning. Sure, you spent $10, but in the long run your investment increases by millions. It's a chance. Every first round pick in the draft is just that, a chance. The notion that this is "the same old Redskins" is ridiculous. The "same old Redskins" would have traded for Peyton Manning before he was released for more than what they got the #2 for, plus picked up his roster bonus and the majority of his salary, and probably sign him to a $110 million extension. If they want to acquire more draft picks, they can certainly trade down with some of their picks, or trade their heavy WR corps. Santana Moss might be on the downslide, but trust me, there's a team somewhere in need of either a slot receiver or a receiver to take pressure off of a #2 or #3.

I'm a Colts fan, and Irsay is certainly blowing smoke up everyone's ass when he says he hasn't decided on a pick. He and Pagano both know Luck is the pick they want. Irsay had a big PR no-no when he let Manning go, and he has no choice but to draft Luck, since he has played him up as the next best thing to Peyton.

Oh yeah, that draft pick I was talking about in 04? Eli Manning. Ask the Giants fans if they feel they gave up "too much" for a franchise quarterback.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Anyone with a plausible football :evil: mind knows that 'youth mistakes' of getting caught in a business where the average career is 4 years and the rules, and how to get around them, from dope to PED's, knows both these guys are lost causes. That they are our 'greatest' assets only makes it that much worse. A joint away from a year? Come on. You don't build around that. You just don't. They are pot heads and that's not unusual in pro sports. Getting caught for it in the NFL...

...that's dumb.

Every single person on that team now knows you get a free pass for a major #### up. These guys are not leaders yet that's their role. They're not even adults.
Welcome to today's NFL...much like the NBA.

BuddyLee

Football addict
:tap:

EVERYONE is competitive. The 0-16 lions of a few years ago were competitive coming close a bunch of games. Look at them now. They cleaned house, stocked up on picks, got their QB without giving away the farm and they are solid across the board and all those young guys are LIONS, not hired hands.

You mentioned the ghost of Vinny and that's what I thought we'd gotten away from the last two years; building picks, no huge, splashy deals. I felt the air come out of the ball with the RGIII trade. It's putting all the eggs in one basket all over again and ruining the balance of the team. You gotta love getting a guy like that but, at that price?

Your view is you sell the farm for that. Mine is you have no farm when you sell the farm.

:buddies:
The Lions were the oldest team in the NFL last year.

2011 NFL age ranks: Calling all graybeards - NFC West Blog - ESPN

They also just had several arrests recently.

There is no price high enough when it comes down to winning football games.