Reggie Bush is OVER RATED...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...and I don't mean a little.

He doesn't finish plays. He's not physical. He's not making yards for himself. But, he is fast. Hell, he might not even be the best pro RB prospect on his team. Lindale White ain't bad at all and is alot more physical.

USC's offensive line should have gotten the Heisman. They're why he, Bush, averaged 8 yards a run all year. Hell, they're plowing holes me and otter could fall through and make 5 yards.

Vince Young, however, is the real deal.

Bush hurt his pocket book just by showing up.

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:
...and I don't mean a little.

He doesn't finish plays. He's not physical. He's not making yards for himself. But, he is fast. Hell, he might not even be the best pro RB prospect on his team. Lindale White ain't bad at all and is alot more physical.

USC's offensive line should have gotten the Heisman. They're why he, Bush, averaged 8 yards a run all year. Hell, they're plowing holes me and otter could fall through and make 5 yards.

Vince Young, however, is the real deal.

Bush hurt his pocket book just by showing up.
That is why I am not a fan of college football. They play teams they clearly outmatch. Both these teams average, yes AVERAGE 50 points a game. Because their offense plows through weak defenses. USC is meeting some resistance and see what they get.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Pete said:
Oh yea HTF do you miss an extra point?

Both kickers on USC and Texas have missed 4 or 5 extra points this year, neither team has had to stress it.

Pete

Repete
otter said:
Both kickers on USC and Texas have missed 4 or 5 extra points this year, neither team has had to stress it.
I suppose when you are blowing out Slippery Rock State University 68 - 3 a missed extra point is no biggie.

Pete

Repete
Oh yea in pro football you never have to see a 350lb guy play the flute during the halftime show.

:myeyes:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I find myself in agreement with Mr. Gude. Reggie Bush is fast but he does need to hit a defender. Lendale White is the better pro prospect, big, strong and the feet never stop, a North/South runner. Leinart may end up being ok in the NFL, I haven't watched him enough to comment on his mobility.

Vince Young makes Michael Vick look like a statue. Lee Corso is saying he needs to declare now and leave Texas, I'm not a big fan of early entry, but I do see his point. The only thing has to prove is that he deserved the Heisman and not Reggie Bush. (He convinced me tonight) Young may be the total package of talent, skills, and leadership ability that a weak team needs.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I agree with alot of what is said in this post, however, I think that you guys are basing alot of your opinions on this one game. White did look very good, great down hill type runner and Vince Young was the man tonight , I almost want to say a one man show for Texas, although I know that is not totally true. It is not as though Leinart or Bush had bad games.

Did you see Bush go around that end and smoke everyone down the sideline and then that effort to get in? That was pretty impressinve as the play developed I was thinking that well be a 5 yd run, but nope it ended up a 26 yd. TD. He also looked pretty awesome on that run that he ended up trying to pitch back to his team mate but ended up turning it over, dumb move on his part at the end of the play but he makes so much out of plays that don't look like much.

Leinart looked good IMO for the most part he is going to be a good prototypical pro QB, great in the pocket with a little above avg. mobility.

Vince Young, what can I say? He looked awesome. I don't know about his throwing motion though. Will he be a good NFL QB? He certainly has a lot of tools but will his mechanics be a downfall? I guess we shall see.

The big Itulai (sp?) or whatever his name is for the USC line was impressive at 340 lbs, he'll be a pro bowl blocker in a few years in the NFL if he can play anything like tonight as a pro.

Last edited:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Reggie Bush is more of a Barry Sanders type of running back, he doesnt want to be hit, and has the speed to aviod it... The hype on Bush was a little much, but all in all, still going to be a good RB

White will probably be more of a Jackson(Kansas City's RB..I think thats his name) type of back...big, strong, still good speed on him though.

Leinhert - overrated...if I got to sit back in the pocket for 5 minutes, I could throw the passes he does...maybe not as far an accurate...but hey, Im not a quarterback, Im a critic like the rest of us....but you get my point...

Young - has good talent, good eyes on the feild, great mobility, strong arm... but will have to change a few mechanics when he goes pro, or he will end up like Eli Manning, good QB, just not the passer you'd expect....but will come around with playing time

But, thats JMO

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Softballkid said:
Reggie Bush is more of a Barry Sanders type of running back, he doesnt want to be hit, and has the speed to aviod it... The hype on Bush was a little much, but all in all, still going to be a good RB

White will probably be more of a JOHNSON(Kansas City's RB..I think thats his name) or even Jackson(St. Loius) type of back...big, strong, still good speed on him though.

Leinhert - overrated...if I got to sit back in the pocket for 5 minutes, I could throw the passes he does...maybe not as far an accurate...but hey, Im not a quarterback, Im a critic like the rest of us....but you get my point...

Young - has good talent, good eyes on the feild, great mobility, strong arm... but will have to change a few mechanics when he goes pro, or he will end up like Eli Manning, good QB, just not the passer you'd expect....but will come around with playing time

But, thats JMO

*fixed* my bad, had my RB's a lil mixed up...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That is correct...

I think that you guys are basing alot of your opinions on this one game.

...other than barely getting buy a rebuilding Notre Dame amd seeing Vince and his crew vs. Ohio State, the other Game of the Year.

I mentioned Reggie has speed but that's all he showed me. When they showed the clip of him pushing Leinhart into the end zone vs. Notre Dame, a blatant no-no, coupled with his bungled lateral, whomever picks him has to deal with something more than his not being as good as hyped; he's not a smart ball player.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You'll excuse me for asking...

Reggie Bush is more of a Barry Sanders type of running back

...if we're talking about #20, that Barry Sanders?

If so, no way. Not even close. Reggie cannot stop and start and cut like Barry did.

Barry cut his college teeth at Oklahoma State against real football teams, in a league that tackled and ran the ball.

Reggie has earned his rep against much weaker teams on an offense so good and deep that it wouldn't even miss him.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:
...that was a fantastic college football game, especially if you love offense.

Tremendous game.

Larry Gude said:
I mentioned Reggie has speed but that's all he showed me. When they showed the clip of him pushing Leinhart into the end zone vs. Notre Dame, a blatant no-no, coupled with his bungled lateral, whomever picks him has to deal with something more than his not being as good as hyped; he's not a smart ball player.

Lateral, dumb, no doubt. "The Push" was a heads up last chance ditch play, 4th down, you have to score and you don't score unless Leinhart gets a little help, nothing to lose and not dumb at all.

Of the 44 starters on the field last night, I'm betting that 30-35 of them will end up playing in the pros. Tight ends on both teams were fantastic. Bush is still all-everything IMO. Young will be a better McNabb while Leinhart won't be anything but a run-of-the-mill pro QB.

Best college game I've seen in years, mistakes here and there, but the intensity level of both teams was way up there.

donbarzini

If Bush is to succeed in the NFL it will have to be as a slot receiver where he can sit back off of the line to get a head of steam when he runs his route. I see him as a Charlie Taylor- TYPE receiver. While he does not show as much talent or brains as Taylor, if the QB can get the ball to him, in stride, it won't be pretty for the defense. He does not have the size or strength to be an NFL-caliber tailback. I think the most telling thing I saw was a statement by Pete Carroll, where he said that sometimes they had to try to keep him from trying to turn every play into an 80 yard touchdown run. Sometimes you have to know when you've gone as far as you can. There was nobody better at that than Walter Payton. When he saw that he had gone as far as he could, and he was about to be tackled, he would lower his shoulder and deliver the blow to the defensive player, and make him pay for the privilege of tackling him. I think that is why Payton only missed one game due to injury in his entire career. Instead of trying to "absorb" the blow, he delivered it.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
He does not have the size or strength to be an NFL-caliber tailback. [/QUOTE said:
But thats what they say that about alot of RB's now....there are quite a few under "NFL size" that are making an impact....Warrick Dunn for instance, had a great year, an he's what...all of 185, 195...LT, he is undersized, but a hell of an RB.....I think if Bush can get on a team with an offensive line, he will be a good RB....

But, it outta be interesting to see however it pans out

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Well all we can do is speculate, but everyone is touting Bush as the top runner in the NCAA and he will be the top pick. Yes he has had a couple bone head plays and maybe USC didn't have the toughest schedule in all of college football but they certainly didn't have a "cake" schedule either.

Bush is 20 yrs. old and at 200 lbs. should easily be able to play at 220 or so in the NFL in a couple years making him more of a NFL sized tailback. The one thing that you can not deny is his speed and play making ability, I think that he is smart enough to be able to get the couple areas that he is lacking in up to par with the rest of his game and should be a good runner in the NFL.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're being nice...

nothing to lose and not dumb at all.

...it was SO blatant, the refs have NO excuse for letting that got.

You are being nice:

Of the 44 starters on the field last night, I'm betting that 30-35 of them will end up playing in the pros.

There's 7 rounds of 32, or 224 kids picked, and then off to free agency land where teams might add 5-10 guys for cannon fonder. No way 10% of next years rookies are from these two schools.

Christmas is OVER.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Warrick Dunn...

Softballkid said:
He does not have the size or strength to be an NFL-caliber tailback. [/QUOTE said:
But thats what they say that about alot of RB's now....there are quite a few under "NFL size" that are making an impact....Warrick Dunn for instance, had a great year, an he's what...all of 185, 195...LT, he is undersized, but a hell of an RB.....I think if Bush can get on a team with an offensive line, he will be a good RB....

But, it outta be interesting to see however it pans out

...is in a different league than Bush. Dunn played big in big games, time and again, for FSU for several years. Bush has not been his equal in college.