relocating -- need advice

mollee

Thanks for the reply. Is "the bridge" a pain in the bu++ to cross during rush hour? I've only been down in SOMD couple of times during non rush hour.

What about this place called "Great Mills", i think it's in St. Mary's. Can anyone recommend a really nice day care center for my 22-month-old? --- that's if i can find a job down there.

SamSpade

The bridge is a crap shoot. Most of the time it is just fine and I don't think commuters down here appreciate just how easy it is even on a bad day. I would still take crossing the bridge on a bad day over a regular day in DC and Northern VA.

Great Mills is pretty good, and fairly close to everything. I don't think I'd mind living in most of it except I don't work on the base and it makes my commute LONGER (going the other way).

Best choices if you're on base might be Hollywood, Leonardtown or even south of the base if you like peace and quiet. I think St. Leonard and parts of Prince Frederick are also quite nice but they are over the bridge.

Lusby ain't a bad place. Parts of it are beuatiful and parts of it are just ok. You have to really see it. Very wooded, windy roads, a lot of gravel roads. Some new houses near some old houses. Property owner's fees suck. You pay a few hundred and get almost nothing for it. If you like quiet (and the occasional Ponytail on his bike) you might like it.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by mollee
we need to move there soon (from northern virginia

:bubble: imagine that.

nova isn't far from somd and this is a three-day weekend. pack the cooler, dust off the tent and make a trip down for a couple days. :cheers: no better way to get to know it than to experience it for yourself!

hi all, my husband will be working at Navair early November so we need to move there soon (from northern virginia). Like to know if any can recommend a good area to buy a home (we have a 21 month old child).

If you move to northern St. Marys (Charlotte Hall /Golden Beach / Mechanicsville) , cmcdanal (forum member) has an inhome daycare.

amethyst_babes

Thanks for the reply. Is "the bridge" a pain in the bu++ to cross during rush hour? I've only been down in SOMD couple of times during non rush hour.

I hate driving over the bridge at any time, personally.

We live by the 3rd gate so there is practically no commute time. I highly recommend living south of the base.

Of course, that also depends on what type of job you are looking for and where you will be working, but I like that I can be home with my children almost immediately after work is done, and we still have enough family time in the evenings.

My 2 year old goes to Creative Beginnings, and if you are looking for a preschool/daycare center I would recommend it. It is more expensive than the other daycares around here though.

Last edited:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Hi & welcome...
We live in North Town Creek and It's close to the base and shopping. Traffic is heavy going south on Rt. 235 to the base in the morning, but nothing like I-95...

I think Town Creek is a nice area, but we are looking to buy a house and we really like Hollywood. Nice, quiet country living.

I can give you some advice on who NOT to rent through if you're interested....Let me know & i'll PM you.

South of the base is nice too, less traffic and quiet. Ridge, is nice little town. :smile:

Makavide

Not too talkative
What about this place called "Great Mills", i think it's in St. Mary's.

I live in Great Mills, it is a nice area. Centrally located to everything in the county (St. Mary's county). 5 minute drive to the base. Greenview Knolls elementary is the school, which just lost about half it's students due to school redistricting so no more over crowding. The sub-division I am in just opened up phase three, if you are looking to build, nice three, four and some five bedroom homes with basements - prices starting around 165k (I think - they've gone up some since I built two years ago.)

Pete

Repete
I live in Hollywood and like it. Good school, a bit rural yet still close to most things.