Relocation to St. Mary's

hollywoman

in 87-89, I did work in DC and drove it everyday, DH was at Pax River. Scouting - that is good to hear, I'm my son's Webelos Den Leader and he bridge's over to Boy Scouts in Feb and we are very active. Glad to hear about the IEP, I was going to call the school board today.

in 87-89, I did work in DC and drove it everyday, DH was at Pax River. Scouting - that is good to hear, I'm my son's Webelos Den Leader and he bridge's over to Boy Scouts in Feb and we are very active. Glad to hear about the IEP, I was going to call the school board today.
I've got a 2nd Class Scout (crossed over in February), Bear Cub Scout, Daisy Girl Scout, 16 month old Little Scout Buddy.

I know most of the Scoutmasters in the District, and if I don't know them, I know how to get their info to put you in touch with them. Make sure you visit multiple Troops before making your pick.

You know the 2010 National Jamboree (100th Anniversary of BSA) is at Ft. A.P. Hill in Va this summer? Only an hour and a half away from many places in SoMD. Our District has 5 or 6 boys going for the full event and about that many adults that will be working it. It's a good day trip event. In '05, we took some Cub Scouts for a Saturday, camped at Kings Dominion that night and did the park on Sunday.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Considering relocation to St. Mary's. Please provide information regarding Tricare (availability of Dr's), Dental, Schools (Middle School) son has an IEP (Individual Education Program), Boy Scout Troops, best places to live north of the base. Does the area have recreational centers for adults/kids, after school care, summer camps. We are relocating from Virginia Beach, Retired Military, job opportunity has presented itself to relocate to Southern Maryland. Please provide any sugguestions.

The biggest differential are the respective school systems, with Calvert being better. However St.Marys public schools are rapidly closing the gap. In the last five years they have implemented many programs that have dragged the whole system toward the top and will probably surpass Calvert in the future..
The IEP program in St.Marys is very good, IMO. They took an active interest in my son and actively followed his progress. I received reports, regular meeting requests and watched as he improved constantly. I can't compare with other places, but I was extremely satisfied.
Traffic? Good luck, both counties are a mess as they try to cope with the rapid influx of residents. I am always in awe of the line of cars that stretches for miles from the bridge sometimes past the Best Buy shopping center - every day! I forgot the drivers here - bring patience - you will need lots.
Good luck!

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
:yeahthat: I don't think 235 was 6 lanes back then. And all the new businesses that opened since. As far as the bridge goes, yeah it's a pain in the azz with traffic. Only remember once that they closed it for ice or high winds. They do shut it down for repairs once in awhile. If I had it to do over again, I would probably be on the St Mary's side due to the bridge, but then I would rather have my kids in school in Calvert County. For me, the schools would be the deciding factor. Now that my kids are grown, I wish I lived on the St Mary's side.

My husband has used that as an excuse as to why he can't get to work on more than one occassion. Any chance of ice and he stays home. Don't blame him though.

hollywoman

It's great to hear about the IEP, our son's education is more important than anything. It really doesn't matter what type of house or where we live as long as we know he's getting the best education. We work very close and in contact with his teachers on a weekly sometimes daily basis. He needs the IEP for Math and Lang. Arts. It's been 20 years since we've lived there. Our son will be in 6th grade next year.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If you decide on the Calvert side, stay away from Chesepeake Ranch Estates. They have more trouble with their HOA than any I've ever heard of. They're always on here whining or feuding about something.

Nucklesack

Considering relocation to St. Mary's. Please provide information regarding Tricare (availability of Dr's), Dental, Schools (Middle School) son has an IEP (Individual Education Program), Boy Scout Troops, best places to live north of the base. Does the area have recreational centers for adults/kids, after school care, summer camps. We are relocating from Virginia Beach, Retired Military, job opportunity has presented itself to relocate to Southern Maryland. Please provide any sugguestions.

You dont want to move down here, St Mary's doesnt offer any of that, you'd be better off moving to Prince Georges county

Nucklesack

The county with the highest crime rate in Maryland. I'm sure she wants to move there.

Well it was either that or Baltimore City, but since their Mayor has been unjustly tried and convicted, i didnt feel it was prudent to direct her there.

I'd suggest staying on the St. Mary's side of the bridge if your husband will work on the base. Traffic aside, you never know when ice/snow will be an issue or when they may close the bridge for repair work. Calvert is a fine place to live, but the bridge made it not an option for us.

I'd suggest looking in either the California or Leonardtown areas. Leonardtown Middle (while its not a "pretty" school from the exterior), I think their IEP meetings are well-run and they have a good team of special ed teachers there. Margaret Brent is another good option, although a little more rural as far as location...

The last time the bridge was closed for repair work was 1988. Most of us that live in Calvert wish that more of you would stay on that side of the bridge. We can keep you out of our schools,etc. If you are interested in schools Calvert's have been at or near the list statewide for a good while.

:yeahthat: I don't think 235 was 6 lanes back then. And all the new businesses that opened since. As far as the bridge goes, yeah it's a pain in the azz with traffic. Only remember once that they closed it for ice or high winds. They do shut it down for repairs once in awhile. If I had it to do over again, I would probably be on the St Mary's side due to the bridge, but then I would rather have my kids in school in Calvert County. For me, the schools would be the deciding factor. Now that my kids are grown, I wish I lived on the St Mary's side.

Vince...the bridge is not ever completely shut down for repairs. There is always one lane and those repairs are done at night not during commuting times.

I have lived in Calvert and commuted across the bridge for years. Most of us on this side live with it and those on the St.Mary's side whine about it. Frankly I'd rather keep the people, the traffic and all those stores away from where I live. And Solomons is on my side of the river and that makes it all worthwhile!:howdy:

mingiz

Horse Poor
The last time the bridge was closed for repair work was 1988. Most of us that live in Calvert wish that more of you would stay on that side of the bridge. We can keep you out of our schools,etc. If you are interested in schools Calvert's have been at or near the list statewide for a good while.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual:popcorn:

LadyCoyote

That's pretty welcoming.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
It was intended to keep the bridge whiners in St. Mary's. Hope it works!:yahoo:

Ask them how they liked the backup tonight. When I was going south on 235 about 5:30 tonight, it was backed up to Old Rolling Road and beyond. Hell, traffic was pretty much bumper to bumper to Gate 2. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ask them how they liked the backup tonight. When I was going south on 235 about 5:30 tonight, it was backed up to Old Rolling Road and beyond. Hell, traffic was pretty much bumper to bumper to Gate 2. :lol:

I was stuck in that traffic. :mad:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I was stuck in that traffic. :mad:

:sux2bu: :neener:

I watched as an ambulance was trying to get up 235 near San Souci and was completely blocked by traffic. They weren't going up the shoulder and were trying to get through the traffic lanes but had nowhere to go. :ohwell: