rent rates these days

Great Treasa

what are your peoples opinions about the inflated rental rates in the past 3-4 years? do any of you guys remember the time when you were
able to afford to pay an apt. rent on a minimum wage job. What kind of an economy is it where people need to split the costs with a roomie just to get by. f****** outrageous.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Great Treasa said:
what are your peoples opinions about the inflated rental rates in the past 3-4 years? do any of you guys remember the time when you were
able to afford to pay an apt. rent on a minimum wage job. What kind of an economy is it where people need to split the costs with a roomie just to get by. f****** outrageous.
It's called capitalism, supply and demand, free market. Feel free to choose any of those.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Great Treasa said:
able to afford to pay an apt. rent on a minimum wage job. What kind of an economy is it where people need to split the costs with a roomie just to get by.
When (and where) was anyone able to rent a nice apartment by themselves on minimum wage?

Or by apartment, do you mean Grandma's basement or your neighbor's garage?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
If you can't afford the rent, get a better paying job or pick up a second job. It's pretty simple, actually.

B

Bronwyn

I don't think minimum wage will afford anything nice anywhere in America. The rent here seems to be a true reflection of property value and median income. If your rent is too high, it would be better to just buy something.
:coffee:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Great Treasa said:
What kind of an economy is it where people need to split the costs with a roomie just to get by. f****** outrageous.

Thats right, there should be no entry level positions, everyone should come out of high school/college and be able to afford to live on one's own, no roomies, money to burn, new car...:rolleyes:

otter said:
Thats right, there should be no entry level positions, everyone should come out of high school/college and be able to afford to live on one's own, no roomies, money to burn, new car...:rolleyes:
... oooooooh... and don't forget, we shouldn't be able to fire 'em once hired no matter how sucky they are at their job.... just like they do in France...:clap:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Actually, college graduates working govt jobs on the base can't even afford an apartment without room mates. That's not minimum wage. What they're asking for some of these places really is outrageous.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Sharon said:
When (and where) was anyone able to rent a nice apartment by themselves on minimum wage?

Or by apartment, do you mean Grandma's basement or your neighbor's garage?

Nowhere. I graduated 10 years ago and moved out. I had a roommate in a townhouse, 2 jobs (neither of which were minimum wage), a car payment on a used car and the rest of the regular household bills and living expenses and was doing "ok". You don't couldn't (at least in the last decade) do it around here. :yay:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I have a better question... how much does it cost to rent an exotic car? Can I do it on minimum wage? I mean...that's outrageous if I can't afford the over inflated rental prices.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I've still been lookin for a house. My options are limited right now... If I sell some toys I could look at more places. It's hard finding a place where I can take 5 vehicles and a fishin boat :lmao:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
Nowhere. I graduated 10 years ago and moved out. I had a roommate in a townhouse, 2 jobs (neither of which were minimum wage), a car payment on a used car and the rest of the regular household bills and living expenses and was doing "ok". You don't couldn't (at least in the last decade) do it around here. :yay:

I was in the same situation 25+ years ago. I had a roommate, we both had full-time (well above mw jobs) cars, expenses, etc.

Nothing's changed as far as I'm concerned, unless this person is getting gov't money for rent and can't afford to live on her own. :rolleyes:

ServiceGuy

Magnum said:
I've still been lookin for a house. My options are limited right now... If I sell some toys I could look at more places. It's hard finding a place where I can take 5 vehicles and a fishin boat :lmao:

You mean you can afford rent and still pay for tag & insurance for 5 cars and a boat? How can you afford the gas to keep them all running? :shrug:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
ServiceGuy said:
You mean you can afford rent and still pay for tag & insurance for 5 cars and a boat? How can you afford the gas to keep them all running? :shrug:
I only have tags on 3. Car for work trucks for fun. Only taken boat out once since I'm always working

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Actually, some (not all) of these places are outrageous. With no debt (car paid), making over twice min wage, and with almost zero entertainment expenses ( I didn't have cable, didn't rent movies, didn't go out often) I would have barely scraped by with an apartment- had it not been for A LOT of OT. It was a decent place, not one of the bigger nicer complexes, but not crap either. It was also decently priced considering what else is out there. I've seen crap-holes with bad management go for an arm and a leg.

At any rate, that was for a single guy. Heaven forbid someone around here try to raise a family. Without 10 years of experience, luck, military benefits, or college + several years of work experience, you really can't afford it.

On the other hand, you can't change the market, so why b****? At the end of the day, all you can do is either work harder/more or move somewhere else.

Best option for someone starting off? Get a few dependable people together and split the costs of renting a house. Work to increase your income and save up as much as possible along the way. As soon as you can afford to do so, buy something.

ServiceGuy

Sometimes if you go a little futher out of LP and are willing to do yardwork, you can rent a nice house for what you'd pay for a T/H 5 min from Pax

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Softballkid said:
Whats your price range :whistle:
Not sure yet. I'm thinking about trying to get something with a little land. I have found a lot of nice stuff out in WV. It all depends though, right now I'm just kinda browsing around.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Great Treasa said:
What kind of an economy is it where people need to split the costs with a roomie just to get by. f****** outrageous.

Better than it was in 1989 when I had to split the rent with 3 other roomies (for a two bedroom). :shrug: