Replacement card question

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may...

Well, your thinking is way off. If someone is here legally, working, playing by the rules, and paying taxes, they get Social Security. After all, they're paying into it just like everyone else.
Here we'll just have to agree to disagree. Being here legally, only authorized to work, does not make one a US Citizen. Make them pay taxes? Sure. They are using the infrastructure, schools, medical system, etc.. But they have no entitlement to 'our' Social Security, regardless if it is taken out as part of their payroll taxes.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If I may...

Here we'll just have to agree to disagree. Being here legally, only authorized to work, does not make one a US Citizen. Make them pay taxes? Sure. They are using the infrastructure, schools, medical system, etc.. But they have no entitlement to 'our' Social Security, regardless if it is taken out as part of their payroll taxes.

I'm fine with not giving them Social Security but, if that's the case, they shouldn't pay into it. To say they should have to pay for something they cannot use is just stupid and ignorant. They are not here legally, "only authorized to work" as you say. They are here as legal permanent residents who work, own businesses, own houses, etc. They work, they pay taxes, they follow the rules just like you and me. Yes, they are using the infrastructure, schools, medical system, etc. Just like you and me. They are also paying taxes, just like you and me.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm fine with not giving them Social Security but, if that's the case, they shouldn't pay into it. To say they should have to pay for something they cannot use is just stupid and ignorant. They are not here legally, "only authorized to work" as you say. They are here as legal permanent residents who work, own businesses, own houses, etc. They work, they pay taxes, they follow the rules just like you and me. Yes, they are using the infrastructure, schools, medical system, etc. Just like you and me. They are also paying taxes, just like you and me.
Well, it seems that lawful permanent resident, does qualify, but still has to make $1,320 earn for 1 credit, for a maximum of 4 credits a year, and earn a total 40 credits in which to qualify, which is usually 10 years of full time working. However, classified, as a “qualified alien”, non-resident aliens, lawful permanent residents, will have money withheld from their benefit checks by the Social Security Administration as part of a broader set of rules governing payments to non-resident aliens. The SSA is required to withhold up to 30% of the maximum amount of the non-resident alien’s Social Security benefit that would be taxable under the rules, currently 85% of their benefit. This equates to non-resident aliens, ie non-US citizens, seeing 25.5% of their benefit being withheld. So I guess they aren't treated as full US citizens in that way.

Also, non-U.S. citizens, regardless of status, cannot vote in U.S. federal and local elections, cannot hold certain government jobs, and cannot serve on juries. Many federal and state government grants, scholarships, and other benefits are available only to U.S. citizens.

acommondisaster

Me neither. Except when I needed it for joining the Navy.
I don't remember needing mine even when I joined. I've got the same card I got when I was 15 - almost 50 years ago and even then it said do not laminate, if I remember correctly. It's been sitting in my jewelry box all these years, looking as crispy new as the day I got it - I've never carried it with me. I know I had to change my name with SS when I got married (actually, years after I got married, when they realized) and if I got a card with my "new" name, I have no idea where it is and don't remember getting one.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I don't remember needing mine even when I joined. I've got the same card I got when I was 15 - almost 50 years ago and even then it said do not laminate, if I remember correctly. It's been sitting in my jewelry box all these years, looking as crispy new as the day I got it - I've never carried it with me. I know I had to change my name with SS when I got married (actually, years after I got married, when they realized) and if I got a card with my "new" name, I have no idea where it is and don't remember getting one.

I had to have my SS card when I joined the Navy in 1983. My son had to have his SS card when he joined the Navy in 2015.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If I may ...

Well, it seems that lawful permanent resident, does qualify, but still has to make $1,320 earn for 1 credit, for a maximum of 4 credits a year, and earn a total 40 credits in which to qualify, which is usually 10 years of full time working. However, classified, as a “qualified alien”, non-resident aliens, lawful permanent residents, will have money withheld from their benefit checks by the Social Security Administration as part of a broader set of rules governing payments to non-resident aliens. The SSA is required to withhold up to 30% of the maximum amount of the non-resident alien’s Social Security benefit that would be taxable under the rules, currently 85% of their benefit. This equates to non-resident aliens, ie non-US citizens, seeing 25.5% of their benefit being withheld. So I guess they aren't treated as full US citizens in that way.

Also, non-U.S. citizens, regardless of status, cannot vote in U.S. federal and local elections, cannot hold certain government jobs, and cannot serve on juries. Many federal and state government grants, scholarships, and other benefits are available only to U.S. citizens.

Actually, non-citizens can vote in local elections if the given local jurisdiction decides to allow it.