replacement social security card

CRHS89

Does anyone know if you can get a replacement social security card same-day by applying at the local office as a walk-in? I know it can be ordered online but I need it asap.

NOTSMC

Does anyone know if you can get a replacement social security card same-day by applying at the local office as a walk-in? I know it can be ordered online but I need it asap.
I don't think it's possible but I'm frequently wrong about these things. I found this article put out by social security that addresses the issue. If I read correctly you can get a receipt saying you ordered it if you go in person. Good luck.

Hijinx

google new SS card replacement. I guar-a-ntee 300 Chinese companies will assist.........

NO, DONT DO THAT!!!!!
I doubt you can get anything in one day at that office. I went there once saw the flustercluck and went home.

Another thing I received a Medicare card made out of paper. can't the Government afford to buy a plastic card printer?

NOTSMC

I doubt you can get anything in one day at that office. I went there once saw the flustercluck and went home.

Another thing I received a Medicare card made out of paper. can't the Government afford to buy a plastic card printer?
Turns out there's a reason for why the cards are made of paper. Paper is less expensive than laminate and easier to scan/copy at the healthcare provider's office.

NOTSMC

Yup can't laminate either :rolleyes:t
It's not illegal to laminate your Medicare card nor your Social Security card surprisingly enough. Despite what it says on the social security card do not laminate is a strong recommendation because it may destroy security features like the color ink or images that can only be seen if held in a certain way.

musiclady

You will get a paper with all the social security information and it is supposed to be able to be used exactly as the social security card itself. They will mail the actual card later.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Well I covered mine with Scotch tape on both sides, I guess that is some form of lamination, I do know if I hadn't covered it ,it would be long gone from just wear and tear.
I wash my wallet at least twice a year. Luckily everything is packed so tight, the inner cards barely get wet.

Grumpy

I wash my wallet at least twice a year. Luckily everything is packed so tight, the inner cards barely get wet.
wallet1.jpg

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
True story, my chiropractor told me the worst thing for back pain is a wallet in the back pocket. It forces an unnatural curve in the spine. I wear cargo pants/shorts now, keep back pockets empty, and have had near zero back pain for years. Tip of the day...

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
True story, my chiropractor told me the worst thing for back pain is a wallet in the back pocket. It forces an unnatural curve in the spine. I wear cargo pants/shorts now, keep back pockets empty, and have had near zero back pain for years. Tip of the day...
Agree. I moved my wallet to my front pocket 20 years ago for that reason.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have not had a SS card for over 40 years.....the last one I had is at the bottom of a lake out in Indiana.

Hijinx

I moved mine to my front pocket about a year ago when the arthritis would let me reach my back pocket.
I worry about washing my wallet------------------------Shrinkage.

How about the one where the Rabbi makes a wallet out of the clippings from circumcision?
When he rubs it it becomes a suitcase.

jrt_ms1995

Agree. I moved my wallet to my front pocket 20 years ago for that reason.
Still put mine in back when walking or standing, but somewhere else when sitting/driving. Remember so many times my a** went to sleep from the pressure. And a permanent impression in a car seat.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Another tip: if you lose/wash your card on a regular basis like I do, apply for a replacement, wait a month or so, reapply and keep one in a safe place for the next time. 😀

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Another tip: if you lose/wash your card on a regular basis like I do, apply for a replacement, wait a month or so, reapply and keep one in a safe place for the next time. 😀
When I got mine way back in the '50s, it was two cards printed on paper. One is the "official" card, the other was a "working" card. Still have the original cards, but got a new plastic version a few years ago.

Did quick google looking for my style of card. Very interesting how many different styles there were. doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the distributions, like every office did it their own way.