Republican House Take Over

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Already making himself at home: Kevin McCarthy has ALREADY moved into the Speaker's office - despite uprising by 14 Republicans - and insists 'we will have a good day tomorrow' as he hurries out of the Capitol

• House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy's staff were seen moving his belongings into the Speaker's chambers earlier on Monday, reportedly standard procedure
  • But with less than 24 hours until the House-wide vote, it appears he may not have the 218 supporters necessary to win the Speaker's gavel
  • McCarthy appeared somewhat rushed as he hurried out of the Capitol today

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Buckle Up, Everybody: Here's How Tomorrow's Speaker Vote Will Go Down

So, what exactly will happen tomorrow? Here’s a rough timeline of events:

At noon eastern time, the new Congress will convene on Capitol Hill. Small receptions will take place in member offices and family members of the newly elected will have a chance to look around the Capitol and House office buildings. The entire chamber is expected to gather in the House chamber around 2 p.m. to elect the Speaker of the House; Kevin McCarthy is the official Republican nominee for the position, with Freedom Caucus member Andy Biggs signaling he will also run.

Clerk of the House Cheryl Johnson will call the House to order and will preside over the proceedings until the new speaker is elected. Once a quorum is established, Elise Stefanik will nominate McCarthy to be speaker, while Democrats will put forth their new minority leader, Hakeem Jeffries, as their candidate. It’s not clear who, if anyone, will nominate Biggs. Johnson will then take a roll call, with each member announcing their speaker choice to the entire chamber. Note, at this point, none of the members have been officially sworn in, as that duty will fall to the new speaker.

If the all-important 218 vote threshold isn’t reached on the first ballot, members must keep voting until the new speaker is elected. They are allowed to take breaks for some behind-the-scenes negotiating and dealmaking. How long it will take is anyone’s guess; McCarthy has offered concessions to the disgruntled members of his party and will likely be doing a lot more of that tomorrow.

Hijinx

I don't like McCarthy--------mainly because he sat on his ass and let the Democrats walk all over him in the last Congress. Now he is talking big like he is going to do something, and I have this feeling his big talk won't amount to much. He will have Scrotum shrinkage right after he is elected. But when all is said and done I believe he will end up sitting in the Speakers chair and be minimally better than Nancy Pelosi.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

GOP-Controlled House Removes Metal Detectors Pelosi Put in Place after J6

“When I arrived in Congress two years, Nancy Pelosi put this hunk of garbage outside of the House chambers for members of Congress to go through,” Boebert said in a video posted to Twitter. “Today, they are being removed and we are turning Pelosi’s House back into the people’s House.”

Boebert clashed with Capitol Police when the metal detectors were first installed: She would not allow them to search her bag after it set off the detector’s alarm.

“I am legally permitted to carry my firearm in Washington, D.C., and within the Capitol complex,” she said at the time. “Metal detectors outside of the House would not have stopped the violence we saw last week — it’s just another political stunt by Speaker Pelosi.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

House GOP approves resolution to create panel to probe ‘weaponization’ of federal government

“This is about the First Amendment, something you guys used to care about. And I’d actually hoped we could get bipartisan agreement on protecting the First Amendment — the five rights we enjoy as Americans under the First Amendment,” Jordan said during debate on the House floor Tuesday.

“We don’t want to go after anyone, we just want it to stop. And we want to respect the First Amendment to the Constitution that the greatest country in the world has. That’s what this committee is all about, and that’s what we’re gonna focus on, that’s what we are going to do,” he later added.

The panel’s creation is a victory for the House’s Freedom Caucus, which pushed for a body that would tackle a number of GOP gripes, carrying on Jordan’s prior claims that the Justice Department, and most particularly the FBI, has “ridiculed conservative Americans.”

The subcommittee, set to include 13 Republicans and five Democrats, comes amid numerous criminal probes into Trump and his associates.

House Republicans Vote to Create New Select Committee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government – Jim Jordan Goes Off on Democrats!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Schiff, Swalwell, and Omar Lose Powerful Committee Assignments0

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy repeatedly promised over the past couple of years that, when the GOP took control of the House, he would remove Reps. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.), and Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) from their respective committees. McCarthy has followed through on that promise.

On Monday, McCarthy confirmed to the Associated Press that Omar would be removed from the Foreign Affairs Committee and that Schiff and Swalwell would be kicked off the Intelligence Committee.

[clip]

Republicans argued at the time that Democrats were establishing a “dangerous” precedent whereby the “majority party can punish a member of the minority party by removing their committee assignments.” In a sense, they were warned that they would “rue the day” they established this precedent. Now the Democrats’ chickens have come home to roost.

The reasons for denying these Democrats committee assignments are undeniably more legitimate than those contrived to jettison Greene and Gosar. Schiff falsely claimed to have seen intelligence that Trump colluded with Russia, and he heavily promoted the debunked Steele Dossier. Omar has a habit of making blatantly anti-Semitic statements, and Swalwell had an affair with a Chinese spy.

-

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

House Creates Subcommittee on Weaponization of the Federal Government and the Democrats Immediately Begin to Sabotage It

During the debate on the resolution establishing the Weaponization Subcommittee, defenestrated House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff fulminated, branding it a “Deep State conspiracy theory.”

This was Fat Jerry Nadler’s take on the issue.

Look for these themes from the five Democrats who will be assigned to the subcommittee unless McCarthy takes a play out of Pelosi’s handbook and personally vetoes members he thinks will deliberately sabotage the process.

This investigation has the potential to do a great deal of good or turn into an exercise in self-beclowning. The Democrats have already telegraphed how they will attempt to discredit the subcommittee’s work. But if anyone can keep this roaring semi between the lines, it is Jim Jordan.

Kinnakeet

House GOP approves resolution to create panel to probe ‘weaponization’ of federal government

“This is about the First Amendment, something you guys used to care about. And I’d actually hoped we could get bipartisan agreement on protecting the First Amendment — the five rights we enjoy as Americans under the First Amendment,” Jordan said during debate on the House floor Tuesday.

“We don’t want to go after anyone, we just want it to stop. And we want to respect the First Amendment to the Constitution that the greatest country in the world has. That’s what this committee is all about, and that’s what we’re gonna focus on, that’s what we are going to do,” he later added.

The panel’s creation is a victory for the House’s Freedom Caucus, which pushed for a body that would tackle a number of GOP gripes, carrying on Jordan’s prior claims that the Justice Department, and most particularly the FBI, has “ridiculed conservative Americans.”

The subcommittee, set to include 13 Republicans and five Democrats, comes amid numerous criminal probes into Trump and his associates.

House Republicans Vote to Create New Select Committee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government – Jim Jordan Goes Off on Democrats!

Hell yeah!!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Crenshaw loses key chairmanship to GOP Rep. Green after calling colleagues 'terrorists'

Crenshaw was a vocal critic of House Republicans who opposed the leadership of now-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and repeatedly derided them as "grifters" and "performance artists" last week while McCarthy struggled to win over their support. His vitriol reached a peak in a Wednesday interview with Fox News' Guy Benson in which he referred to them as "terrorists." He has since apologized.

The Texas Republican has already fallen under scrutiny from his GOP colleagues for his support of so-called red flag laws and a bill that funded state immunization information programs, which some conservatives have labelled "vaccine databases."

In Crenshaw's place, the House Steering Committee tapped Tennessee GOP Rep. Mark Green to chair the Homeland Security Committee. In a statement to Fox, Green emphasized the ongoing migration crisis at the southern border and vowed to investigate the federal government's handling of the situation.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
On Monday, McCarthy confirmed to the Associated Press that Omar would be removed from the Foreign Affairs Committee and that Schiff and Swalwell would be kicked off the Intelligence Committee.

A great day for America. :getdown:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've been waiting for this. The GOP let the dems hang themselves on their own ropes, and can now step in and fix things. Problem is, there is a lot to fix. Waited way too long and lasting damage has been done.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Wait, Can They Do That? McCarthy Says House Might ‘Expunge’ Impeachments of Trump

McCarthy didn’t explain where he got the idea that the House had the power to do this at all. The Constitution says simply: “The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” Trump was impeached twice, once after he had left office, but not convicted either time. The Constitution doesn’t say anything at all about expunging an impeachment, but since Trump was not convicted and the “evidence” of his guilt that was presented each time is looking shakier by the day, McCarthy might be thinking that a new Congress could erase the whole thing from the official record and clear Trump’s name officially. While it doesn’t say anything about doing this, the Constitution doesn’t say this can’t be done, either.

It all started when a reporter asked the new House speaker: “So there’s been some interest among some of the rank-and-file Republicans to possibly introduce a resolution to expunge one of former President Trump’s impeachments or possibly both. What do you think of that? Is that something that you would be supportive of?”

McCarthy answered: “I’d have to look, when you when you look at, when you find that the final information that the Russia document was all a lie, when you watch what went through, I could understand why members would want to bring that forward. Our first priority is get our economy back on track, secure our borders, make our streets safe again, give parents the opportunity to have a say in their kids’ education, and actually hold government accountable. But I understand why individuals want to do it, and we’d look at it.” Not a ringing endorsement of the idea, to be sure, but McCarthy certainly left the door open to the possibility.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
1) forming a committee to explore competition with China is more blah blah. The fox guarding the hen house.

2) Yay! More bullshit committees! THAT is real work right there, forming committees. That's absolutely what I look at when voting for representation - will this guy form committees? 🤔

3) You all can apologize for jumping my ass when I told you that Crenshaw was a POS.

4) Swallowell should have been removed from office, at the very least, when it was discovered he'd been ****ing a Chinese spy.

5) Omar should have never been on any committee. She shouldn't even be in Congress, she should be back in Somalia where she belongs.

6) Impeachments aren't worth a hill of sh*t. Impeachment schmeachment. Unless the perp is removed from office, it's just political wankery.

7) I want my retirement money back.

8) I want the prices of necessities to go back to what they were 2 years ago.

9) I want that ****ing border CLOSED and I want all the druggies executed.

10) I want things that affect me and my life, not political garbage that has nothing to do with me or my quality of life.

11) Chips are flying but no wood is getting cut. McCarthy and the rest of these folks are going to have to show me some action, and by action I don't mean forming committees.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
1) forming a committee to explore competition with China is more blah blah. The fox guarding the hen house.

2) Yay! More bullshit committees! THAT is real work right there, forming committees. That's absolutely what I look at when voting for representation - will this guy form committees? 🤔

3) You all can apologize for jumping my ass when I told you that Crenshaw was a POS.

4) Swallowell should have been removed from office, at the very least, when it was discovered he'd been ****ing a Chinese spy.

5) Omar should have never been on any committee. She shouldn't even be in Congress, she should be back in Somalia where she belongs.

6) Impeachments aren't worth a hill of sh*t. Impeachment schmeachment. Unless the perp is removed from office, it's just political wankery.

7) I want my retirement money back.

8) I want the prices of necessities to go back to what they were 2 years ago.

9) I want that ****ing border CLOSED and I want all the druggies executed.

10) I want things that affect me and my life, not political garbage that has nothing to do with me or my quality of life.

11) Chips are flying but no wood is getting cut. McCarthy and the rest of these folks are going to have to show me some action, and by action I don't mean forming committees.
Crowd Chanting: "Vrai for Supreme Ruler!!..Vari for Supreme Ruler!..."