Requirements to become a Volunteer Firefighter

LadyCoyote

With the many volunteer fire depts in our area, I thought this would be a great place to ask a question: Can anyone here tell me about the requirements to become a volunteer firefighter?
What is the process like? Any and all info. would be of great help. I've researched the Fire Dept.'s websites, but it is helpful to hear the scoop from others -- esp. if anyone on the forum is a volunteer firefighter themselves. Thanks in advance!!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Most of them you have to fill out an application. When accepted you hang out at the firehouse and do some grunt work. Get some training while there, etc.

sparkysgirl

Each station is a little different in their application process. Once you join, you are free to sign up for a whole variety of classes. Go to the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute (MFRI) page and you can check out the classes available. To be a firefighter, you have to start with Firefighter 1. It's about 2-2 1/2 month course. You learn everything from how to put your gear on and how to throw ladders to basic fire behavior. Once you get out of the class, you still do additional training for your specific department until they feel you are ready to ride the trucks.

CrashTest

The former Mrs. Crash tried to do it years ago. Despite having prior military training in this area, she was told "don't call us, we'll call you". Seems she wasn't in the good ol' boy network.

Josimmon

The former Mrs. Crash tried to do it years ago. Despite having prior military training in this area, she was told "don't call us, we'll call you". Seems she wasn't in the good ol' boy network.

Though I have over 5 years of experience being a volunteer firefighter in other states, the good ol' boy network in this area makes it difficult for a female to join. Women are welcomed to run ambulance, not firefighting. It is a shame since they say they "need people". I worked just has hard as the guys did in my department, and yes I was able to do the same work they did and in same cases I was better at it because I could fit in areas they could not. I have also experienced the un-welcome responses when I inquired about joining my local department.

sparkysgirl

No one can deny that there is a some of the good ol' boy culture left in SOMD. However, as a female I can tell you that if you go in with the right attitude and show your willing to do the job, you generally don't have a problem. Go in there with respect for yourself. Too often the females that join don't take it seriously (whether fire or EMS). This just perpetuates the feelings that women can't do it as well.

In many departments people need help on the EMS side more than the fire side, so this may be why there is some hesitation in bringing people in who have no desire to ride the ambulances. I am not speaking for anyone or any particular station, just an observation.

bcp

In My Opinion
Though I have over 5 years of experience being a volunteer firefighter in other states, the good ol' boy network in this area makes it difficult for a female to join. Women are welcomed to run ambulance, not firefighting. It is a shame since they say they "need people". I worked just has hard as the guys did in my department, and yes I was able to do the same work they did and in same cases I was better at it because I could fit in areas they could not. I have also experienced the un-welcome responses when I inquired about joining my local department.

Why do you post on forums.

j/k :killingme

mdff21

Each station is a little different in their application process. Once you join, you are free to sign up for a whole variety of classes. Go to the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute (MFRI) page and you can check out the classes available. To be a firefighter, you have to start with Firefighter 1. It's about 2-2 1/2 month course. You learn everything from how to put your gear on and how to throw ladders to basic fire behavior. Once you get out of the class, you still do additional training for your specific department until they feel you are ready to ride the trucks.

The 2-2 1/2 month course needs to be clarified. It is usually 3 hours a night, 7-10 pm one or two nights per week with a couple of full day sessions on weekends.

A suggestion would be to stop by some of the stations in your area and meet the members and tell them you are interested in volunteering. Talk to the officers and find out what they expect from you as a member. Then evaluate what you have been told and decide where you want to devote your time and energy.

CobbWeb

Varies

With the many volunteer fire depts in our area, I thought this would be a great place to ask a question: Can anyone here tell me about the requirements to become a volunteer firefighter?
What is the process like? Any and all info. would be of great help. I've researched the Fire Dept.'s websites, but it is helpful to hear the scoop from others -- esp. if anyone on the forum is a volunteer firefighter themselves. Thanks in advance!!

This is what my dept. does, others may be different.

Generally you need to fill out an application, some depts. have these online on thier website, best to get it in person since there may be other requirements, such as getting a copy of your driving record, parent permission if under 18, etc... You should call the dept. you are interested in and find out when thier drill night and business meeting's are . Visit the station on a drill night and ask for the Chief, President or membership committee chairman. Complete the application and make sure it is complete, I cannot tell you how many times people turn them in partially filled out, this delays the process. Once completed app. is turned in you are normally tabled for 30 days at the next business meeting, this allows for the background check to be completed, you are encouraged to come to drill nights during the tabling process, this shows you are interested and lets people get to know you. Once the background check comes back you will be voted on for probationary membership at the next business meeting. Probationary period varies from 6 months to a year. Once voted in you will begin pre emergency response training and the training officer will work to get you scheduled for firefighter 1 class or other classes that may be available.
That's it in a nutshell, good luck.

LadyCoyote

Thank you to all who replied. I especially appreciate the links provided, as I'm looking to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks again, all.
:buddies:

TurboK9

No offense to female firefighters... they work just as hard, and can be better in some areas.

HOWEVER!

Male or female, I would hate to be paired up with a little 4' 11" lighweight, and have a 'problem' that incapacitated me anywhere but the first floor. I hate to imagine being dragged by my strap down one or more flights of stairs with my head bouncing off every step on the way down. :roflmao:

Chicks rock. We need more. :yay:

officeguy

Here is the MFRI Southern Maryland schedule of courses:

MFRI Course Schedule: Maryland Fire Service

This is the course description for the 'firefighter I' course:

MFRI Schedules

It looks like the FF-1 course for St Marys is taught at the Bay District, other companies just send their 'probies' there to get the training. There are other courses that you'll eventually need, so for the first couple of years expect to be either at the firehouse or in La Plata a couple of evenings a week.

Most departments have a 'recruitment officer' who would be your first point of contact. And yes, it tends to be a bit cliquei and closed to outsiders at first. To go into a situation that everyone else is trying to get out of takes a lot of trust into the people on your team. It is understandable that that trust has to be earned. And like any small, highly cohesive organization, it can be difficult to break in if you didn't go to high-school with at least 2 or 3 others in the group.

Last edited:

TurboK9

Here is the MFRI Southern Maryland schedule of courses:

MFRI Course Schedule: Maryland Fire Service

This is the course description for the 'firefighter I' course:

MFRI Schedules

It looks like the FF-1 course for St Marys is taught at the Bay District, other companies just send their 'probies' there to get the training. There are other courses that you'll eventually need, so for the first couple of years expect to be either at the firehouse or in La Plata a couple of evenings a week.

Most departments have a 'recruitment officer' who would be your first point of contact. And yes, it tends to be a bit cliquei and closed to outsiders at first. To go into a situation that everyone else is trying to get out of takes a lot of trust into the people on your team. It is understandable that that trust has to be earned. And like any small, highly cohesive organization, it can be difficult to break in if you didn't go to high-school with at least 2 or 3 others in the group.

?? I didn't experience this at all. Within weeks of moving here, I popped on over and was welcomed. This of course could be because I'm wicked cool. :cool: Plus, I'm a guy. And I brought pizza with me first time I dropped in. :yay: Everyone likes pizza. :yay:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet

No clue where you're located, but I run with probably the biggest good ol' boy department in Southern Maryland, and we have three female 'firefighters' (one is a paramedic).

No offense to female firefighters... they work just as hard, and can be better in some areas.

HOWEVER!

Male or female, I would hate to be paired up with a little 4' 11" lighweight, and have a 'problem' that incapacitated me anywhere but the first floor. I hate to imagine being dragged by my strap down one or more flights of stairs with my head bouncing off every step on the way down. :roflmao:

Chicks rock. We need more. :yay:

When I took my first fire class, I was paired up with a girl that was all of 5'2 and about 115 pounds. My first thought was great, this is gonna go far. They charged the line at 150psi, and we went to work on a simulated basement fire. Her leverage kept the pressure off of me. Just because they're little, don't assume they can't do the job. It's not always about being big and muscular on some things. No doubt that being big and muscular is a major help when firefighting, but leverage is huge too.

Back to the subject, typically, you put in an application, they may do a background check (we do this, plus fingerprinting), they process that, when the results are received back, you're notified to attend either a business meeting or special meeting where you're either approved or denied (I haven't seen anyone denied yet..) After this, you're put on a probation period where you may be required to attend fire classes, medical classes, attend a pre-basic oreintation program, get familiar with all the apparatus and the like. While you're a member, make all your meetings and drills, get familiar with the apparatus and how your department operates, because every department is different. Learn when your department puts hose on the ground (there's a yellow department to my north that puts hose on the ground on EVERY single fire call, whereas we only usually lay out on structure fires).
When you first join, whether you're male or female, unless you know practically EVERYONE in the department, you're going to get weird looks and people are going to feel you out. Remember, the department is a brotherhood. Not everyone gets to be in it, not everyone is cut out for it. You'll be tested your first 6-12 months there. Usually within your first two or three calls, you'll know whether or not you're fit for it.
Good luck!

TurboK9

When I took my first fire class, I was paired up with a girl that was all of 5'2 and about 115 pounds. My first thought was great, this is gonna go far. They charged the line at 150psi, and we went to work on a simulated basement fire. Her leverage kept the pressure off of me. Just because they're little, don't assume they can't do the job. It's not always about being big and muscular on some things. No doubt that being big and muscular is a major help when firefighting, but leverage is huge too.

hence the 'can be better in some areas' and the specific circumstance outlined in my post. Seriously... Actually, I shouldn't say that. I know some pretty big dudes that are weak as kittens considering their bulk... :lmao: But I just can't picture a small male or female shouldering my 6'3" 220 pound frame down 3 flights of stairs... It's thud. thud. thud. thud. all the way down... :lmao:

I think we both know, anyway... sense and seriousness goes further than strength and mass when you are on a hose. I'd rather have a teeny female with a brain along and knows to cool the room and go indirect than a big strong dolt who does a direct attack on fog and melts my face off from steam :).

FF1 one of the females in the class froze up in the maze, I slid down the 'ramp' and did a perfect faceplant in her a$$. Tried to calm her an guide her but they had to open the wall and pull her out. Glad it wasn't a skinny dude with a bony butt, LOL.

fairykisses

when I joined the firehouse I knew that what I wanted to do. My husband joined a year before I did. I'm now a EMT and had the chance to take Fire 1 but due to the lifting and running in a burning building wasnt for me so I picked being a EMT I also have Emergency Vehicle Operation Course meaning I can drive the Ambulance and the small emergeny vehicles lights and siren but you do have to caution when coming up to intersection. I see my husband more at the firehouse then I do home. plus when the kids are in school I can go down and help out. I have a set day I come in on my shift and it 7 till 6pm. then when I go home I get to spend time with my boys. I find it to be very rewarding knowing Im helping out the community..:buddies:

Josimmon

FF1 one of the females in the class froze up in the maze, I slid down the 'ramp' and did a perfect faceplant in her a$$. Tried to calm her an guide her but they had to open the wall and pull her out. Glad it wasn't a skinny dude with a bony butt, LOL.

:lmao: I had a big muscular guy almost start crying like a baby when we did a smoke drill in a train car. His bell was going off on his tank so he started hyperventilating. He dropped the damn hose and started trying to find the door. I had to grab him and calmly talk him through and get him out half dragging him. I am 5’3 and he was over 6’ but he was going with me one way or the other…if he went thump, thump the whole way out oh well :whistle:

Josimmon

when I joined the firehouse I knew that what I wanted to do. My husband joined a year before I did. I'm now a EMT and had the chance to take Fire 1 but due to the lifting and running in a burning building wasnt for me so I picked being a EMT I also have Emergency Vehicle Operation Course meaning I can drive the Ambulance and the small emergeny vehicles lights and siren but you do have to caution when coming up to intersection. I see my husband more at the firehouse then I do home. plus when the kids are in school I can go down and help out. I have a set day I come in on my shift and it 7 till 6pm. then when I go home I get to spend time with my boys. I find it to be very rewarding knowing Im helping out the community..:buddies:

Good for you! I can't do the whole blood and guts stuff, but I am proud to say my daughter runs on the ambulance and teaches EMT classes back home. It was hard, but I did the lifting, climbing, and going into the burning buildings and loved every second of it. I really enjoyed driving the trucks and running the pumps. Nothing like getting the right pressure to your lines as quick as possible.