Retailers are going bankrupt at a staggering rate

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

and the solution is $ 25 Min Wage ? Why is the Question ..... maybe nothing to back the debt but a promise - the free ride of 'mortgage back securities' is over the well of easy credit has dried up - after being artificial for years From what I recall about Financial History this has been the cause of a few recessions [banks drying up the money]

The solution to minimum wages? A sound monetary system backed by some thing of intrinsic value. Some thing that takes labor and time to acquire, such a gold and silver. A system that is governed by the people, Congress, not a create-out-of-thin-air fiat currency controlled by a group of private bankers.

"Why is the Question"? Because they are picking and choosing the winners and losers, by the banks and the financial sector controlled by banks. And manipulating certain industries to take advantage of them by causing them to go bankrupt then acquiring them at fire sale prices, by buying those near worthless stocks, then to only reinvest, (by starting to lend again), and selling those same stocks at a higher valuation. Recessions and depressions are, and have been always, caused by the banks.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If I may ...

The solution to minimum wages? A sound monetary system backed by some thing of intrinsic value. Some thing that takes labor and time to acquire, such a gold and silver. A system that is governed by the people, Congress, not a create-out-of-thin-air fiat currency controlled by a group of private bankers.

:yay:

Indeed

nutz

Try being a small fry Mom and Pop retail store...we will all be a thing of the past if the internet shopping trend continues.

I prefer shopping at a mom and pop place where customer service is a priority. However, when I go there to get something and they decided to not restock or missed it on the order, I'll walk. No need to tell me "we can order that". UPS delivers very regularly.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If I may ...

"Why is the Question"? Because they are picking and choosing the winners and losers, by the banks and the financial sector controlled by banks. And manipulating certain industries to take advantage of them by causing them to go bankrupt then acquiring them at fire sale prices, by buying those near worthless stocks, then to only reinvest, (by starting to lend again), and selling those same stocks at a higher valuation. Recessions and depressions are, and have been always, caused by the banks.

It all ended with our civil war and the masters of the universe found the breadth and width of REAL power over the people. Nice sentiments, though.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It all ended with our civil war and the masters of the universe found the breadth and width of REAL power over the people. Nice sentiments, though.

Huh? You mean trading slavery in physical chains to slavery in financial bondage? Financial chicanery has always been a way to control the masses and steal from them. Andrew Jackson knew this and shut down the Second Bank of the U.S.. But a debt based money system popped up again and it was codified in 1913 under the Federal Reserve Act.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If I may ...

Huh? You mean trading slavery in physical chains to slavery in financial bondage? Financial chicanery has always been a way to control the masses and steal from them. Andrew Jackson knew this and shut down the Second Bank of the U.S.. But a debt based money system popped up again and it was codified in 1913 under the Federal Reserve Act.

:buddies:

I kinda hold onto the period right before the war as the end of the individual part of our history. Maybe it ended sooner? I won't argue against that.

PeoplesElbow

So, why isn't WalMart doomed? Home Depot/Lowes, too, for that matter? I mean, you got to WalMart to get stuff, not to browse the selection. Same with the hardware stores.

I'm thinking of some sort of home delivery model. Shop online, go pick it up or they run it out to you. Turn the stores into inventory and packing facilities and recoup ALL that shopper space. No more need for the massive parking lots.

I saw just that this past weekend with a Kroger grocery store, you place your order, go to the parking lot, park in special spots and they bring your groceries out to you and load them in the car.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I prefer shopping at a mom and pop place where customer service is a priority. However, when I go there to get something and they decided to not restock or missed it on the order, I'll walk. No need to tell me "we can order that". UPS delivers very regularly.

I am not sure if you were a customer and that happened at my store (if so I do apologize).
HOWEVER...
We are human and we do make mistakes.
AND...
It is also difficult to know exactly how much of any items needs to be stocked at any time, cannot control if someone comes in and buys it and we run out. We offer to special order and/ or put products on the special order shelf if a customer is afraid we won't have it when they need it. Also we are at the mercy of the distributors having it in stock when we go to order it.
I don't mean to sound like I am making excuses but it is a constant challenge to always have everything everyone wants or needs. And few people know that I pay for everything that comes in the door when it comes in the door. I do not believe in buying it if I don't have the money for it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
ff...I try to buy local when I can. I still am sad I missed you when I stopped in a few years ago. I so rarely had reason to go to the Lusby/Solomons area. My main territory was PF, and now we have moved. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

Last edited:

nutz

I am not sure if you were a customer and that happened at my store (if so I do apologize).
HOWEVER...
We are human and we do make mistakes.
AND...
It is also difficult to know exactly how much of any items needs to be stocked at any time, cannot control if someone comes in and buys it and we run out. We offer to special order and/ or put products on the special order shelf if a customer is afraid we won't have it when they need it. Also we are at the mercy of the distributors having it in stock when we go to order it.
I don't mean to sound like I am making excuses but it is a constant challenge to always have everything everyone wants or needs. And few people know that I pay for everything that comes in the door when it comes in the door. I do not believe in buying it if I don't have the money for it.

No, not your store in particular, but it is a rule I try to follow. I was also talking about normal stock items. If you normally stock Bayer aspirin or 2x4x8's or plumbing supplies and run out, there is a problem. If I call your store looking for x and someone tells me you have it, don't be surprised when I'm pissed off that you don't.

I worked retail for awhile, glad I got out of that. Dealing with my customers now is hard enough, dealing with new ones off the street everyday is worse.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

And few people know that I pay for everything that comes in the door when it comes in the door. I do not believe in buying it if I don't have the money for it.

Then maybe you should consider an inventory line of credit? And/or work with your suppliers to get net 30, 45 or 60 payment terms? Constantly having to, or needing cash to pay COD for your inventory can really stifle inventory flow and piss off customers. You are only restricting your growth by operating like this. And, a good inventory management, and automated ordering software system, can help you as well. It will reduce a lot of stress trying to manage inventory by walking around the store trying to figure out what you need and have to order.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If I may ...

Then maybe you should consider an inventory line of credit? And/or work with your suppliers to get net 30, 45 or 60 payment terms? Constantly having to, or needing cash to pay COD for your inventory can really stifle inventory flow and piss off customers. You are only restricting your growth by operating like this. And, a good inventory management, and automated ordering software system, can help you as well. It will reduce a lot of stress trying to manage inventory by walking around the store trying to figure out what you need and have to order.

My store and I do have excellent credit and net terms- I opt to not use them for the most part therefore I have zero debt! The credit card does get paid off every month. Others may disagree with me but "I" think it is smart! This is not my first business (but it will probably be my last) I have 8 people on payroll and it can be tight but I balance it.
Have you ever been in my store? I have probably $100,000 or more worth of product. I am not restricting growth at all.

Given the fluctuation of sales, we do sometimes run out and/or have problems getting product from distributors (currently some duck and salmon based foods)

I am grateful that the other poster was not referring to me or my business because sometimes people do get frustrated. Not often but it does happen and we always try to make the customer happy.

luvmygdaughters

Speaking for myself, I hate dealing with people. I know that sounds terrible, but, its truthful. There is no way in hell I want to spend my Saturday or Sunday at some store, listening to kids crying & screaming in aisles and check out lines, because mommy or daddy wouldn't buy them a toy. There is no way I want to spend my afternoon standing in line at the dressing rooms or cashiers. I do most of my clothes, electronics, gifts and Christmas shopping, online. Its easy, its delivered to my door and I don't have to hunt for a damn parking space. Now the only exception to this rule is...the dreaded grocery shopping. I am too particular about what I want, to trust someone else to pick out my meats, fruits, veggies, etc.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Speaking for myself, I hate dealing with people. I know that sounds terrible, but, its truthful. There is no way in hell I want to spend my Saturday or Sunday at some store, listening to kids crying & screaming in aisles and check out lines, because mommy or daddy wouldn't buy them a toy. There is no way I want to spend my afternoon standing in line at the dressing rooms or cashiers. I do most of my clothes, electronics, gifts and Christmas shopping, online. Its easy, its delivered to my door and I don't have to hunt for a damn parking space. Now the only exception to this rule is...the dreaded grocery shopping. I am too particular about what I want, to trust someone else to pick out my meats, fruits, veggies, etc.

Yikes, lmd. Are you becoming reclusive because of social media? That is not good. Get out there! People are great!

Sorry, but you sound like an example of how social media is caustic in our world, and changing how humanity interacts. Your post made me sad. :huggy:

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living

As one who works retail, I can appreciate your feelings LOL. Dealing with the public can be challenging.
And I get the convenience aspect of online shopping.
Even though I don't know you IRL, I do hope you get out of your comfort zone and socialize with others and have a good time.

luvmygdaughters

As one who works retail, I can appreciate your feelings LOL. Dealing with the public can be challenging.
And I get the convenience aspect of online shopping.
Even though I don't know you IRL, I do hope you get out of your comfort zone and socialize with others and have a good time.

LOL, I guess I made myself sound horrible!! I'm really not that bad, but, it's a matter of convenience for me. I do go shopping, in fact, just before our vacation, I had to pick up a few things, I went to Kohl's and JC Pennys, wasn't too bad, but, long lines at the register and kids who have not been taught manners, reminded me of why I prefer online shopping.