Reverting back to Maiden name

officeguy

Wait, so can I pay and get my name changed to Bigbootiedaddy?

I believe the judge can disapprove it if the new name is offensive.

Some politician added a legal middle name of 'Low Tax'. He was convicted of murdering his opponent later on. Took politics a bit too seriously.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No , you said something stupid and got caught .You said in post number #2 you got married and knew you would get a divorce so you didn't change your name,Larry you poor guy!!!:killingme

After Larry and I got divorced I kept his name because I didn't want to deal with changing it back to what it was before.

It doesn't appear that I'm the stupid one.

bilbur

Why is it so hard for women to revert back to their madden name? This article is about a guy who legally changed his name to Darth Vader. Maybe you should have just told the judge you just want to change your name and not tell them it is reverting back.:lmao:

Goldenhawk

My college girlfriend's roommate had the last name "Teats". She was a veterinary student. Within a year of starting college she had her last name changed to something innocuous like Miller or Walters.

PeoplesElbow

I knew a girl with the last name Hymen, she could not wait till she got married. She had a boyfriend with the nickname Buster, can't make this stuff up.

black dog

Free America
If it is not ordered in your divorce decree by the judge, you will need to go to court to have your name changed in Maryland. Go to Maryland.gov and search it. There is a process to have ot changed (the action is listed for a period of time in local paper, etc.)When I got mine changed it was $$ also. I want to say $200-400.

Correct, I told my ex multiple times during our divorce that if she was ever wanting to change her name back it was much easier and cheaper for her to do it before the final court date. She kept telling me her attorney told her I was full of ####.. At our last court date I again brought it up in front of Master Harris and he then told her the same thing.. And it went into the divorce decree.
And when she desires to change it, the court paperwork is already done.
If it was as simple as going to the DMV and requesting a name change, lol how would anybody really know who anybody is.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
My wife recently changed her name (from nick to actual). I believe it was $135 for the application and around 30 - 60 for the name change publication. In CC you must meet a judge. I tried to get around it, but you must see a judge and just ask some questions as to why you are changing your name etc... I also filing a motion to expedite the adult name change. Her process then took 1.5 months.

The whole can originally take a few months. There is a min 30 days for the publication to stay active, so people can contest the change.

I didn't have to meet with a judge - and I live in Calvert County. I filed for my name change and paid about the same as you stated maybe more. I know I was irritated with myself for having to spend money to do it, when I could have had the judge do it at the time of my divorce. Took 2 months from start to finish, including listing it in the local newspaper.

steppinthrax

Not so much to contest the change than an opportunity for any creditors to receive notice and for any party in legal proceedings to update their filings.

Yeah, but what creditors actually read the "Calvert Recorder" v.s. "The Washington Post" etc...

Unless they are in Calvert County.

In general they can do a quick judicial search after the name change to see if the party they are suing had changed their name. Something that should be done anyway (due diligence)

steppinthrax

I didn't have to meet with a judge - and I live in Calvert County. I filed for my name change and paid about the same as you stated maybe more. I know I was irritated with myself for having to spend money to do it, when I could have had the judge do it at the time of my divorce. Took 2 months from start to finish, including listing it in the local newspaper.

Depends on the judge among other factors. Date filed and procedures used. The clerk indicated the judge sees everyone for a name change nowadays. Maybe someone changed their name to avoid something in the past or maybe a judge decided to follow due diligence.

Personally if I were the judge, I'd want a personal appearance to make sure the person is serious and to have a judicial record created. If you don't come to court, then you don't give a ####, case dismissed....

He just asked my wife the reason, is she escaping debt, does she have any criminal etc.... Pretty standard questions. He granted judgement the same day and provided 3 original court orders with several "true test" copies...

officeguy

Yeah, but what creditors actually read the "Calvert Recorder" v.s. "The Washington Post" etc...

Unless they are in Calvert County.

In general they can do a quick judicial search after the name change to see if the party they are suing had changed their name. Something that should be done anyway (due diligence)

Thats the sillyness of legal notices for you. Same applies to legal notices about mortgage sales or bond issues. Just an ancient legal requirement without practical consequences.

steppinthrax

Thats the sillyness of legal notices for you. Same applies to legal notices about mortgage sales or bond issues. Just an ancient legal requirement without practical consequences.

I'm fairly certain someone has all these "legal notices" on lockdown. For instance if you were a "Foreclosure chaser", you'd want to see all the legal notices for foreclosures etc... first thing in the morning to be the first to pull the trigger...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Depends on the judge among other factors. Date filed and procedures used. The clerk indicated the judge sees everyone for a name change nowadays. Maybe someone changed their name to avoid something in the past or maybe a judge decided to follow due diligence.

Personally if I were the judge, I'd want a personal appearance to make sure the person is serious and to have a judicial record created. If you don't come to court, then you don't give a ####, case dismissed....

He just asked my wife the reason, is she escaping debt, does she have any criminal etc.... Pretty standard questions. He granted judgement the same day and provided 3 original court orders with several "true test" copies...

I guess I wasn't required to appear for questioning because I'm white. :shrug: I mean, it is Calvert Co afterall.

officeguy

I'm fairly certain someone has all these "legal notices" on lockdown. For instance if you were a "Foreclosure chaser", you'd want to see all the legal notices for foreclosures etc... first thing in the morning to be the first to pull the trigger...

Right. But for that, it would make more sense to have legal notices posted to the courts website or a database. The requirement to post it in a local paper-printed record along with all this extraneous verbiage serves very little purpose.

SoMDGirl42

Correct, I told my ex multiple times during our divorce that if she was ever wanting to change her name back it was much easier and cheaper for her to do it before the final court date. She kept telling me her attorney told her I was full of ####.. At our last court date I again brought it up in front of Master Harris and he then told her the same thing.. And it went into the divorce decree.
And when she desires to change it, the court paperwork is already done.
If it was as simple as going to the DMV and requesting a name change, lol how would anybody really know who anybody is.

I had it in my divorce that I can change my last name back to maiden name. My minor kids at the time didn't want me to because we'd have different last names. So here I am some 15 years later still with his name. :lol:

steppinthrax

I guess I wasn't required to appear for questioning because I'm white. :shrug: I mean, it is Calvert Co afterall.

That's not the first thing I'm thinking. But, if you know CC to be that bad, well...... You certainly have more information than me.

steppinthrax

You're the one who always implies the county is racist. :coffee:

Well one of the sayings that I've heard and agree with this....

"Not every Republican is a racist, but every racist I knew was a Republican"....

And unfortunately there are a huge concentration of Republicans, super right wing, fascist, holly rollers and gun nuts in CC.

Trump certainly didn't help you guys...