Rhubarb

W

Wenchy

Christy said:
I would think you would be able to grow it in this area. :shrug:

The link I posted said that it needs at least two months of "complete" cold weather, and our winters are so fickle here.

I'm still going to try. I might get "sickly" rhubarb, but what the heck?

camily

Peace
Wenchy said:
The link I posted said that it needs at least two months of "complete" cold weather, and our winters are so fickle here.

I'm still going to try. I might get "sickly" rhubarb, but what the heck?
If you find any let me know.

sushisamba

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr
camily said:
Rats! I'll have to get some next time we go to Illinois. Maybe I need to go to the Amish.
What about the farmer's market in Hughesville? I know there are a lot of amish down there and they sell good produce at the farmer's market. Never saw rhubarb, but then again, I wasn't looking for it. :shrug:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Rhubarb grows well in this area if you get the right plants for our climate:

Stark Brothers Starkrimson Rhubarb

We're zone 7 and it grows well in zones 4-9 so it will do fine here. I've never grown it but have friends who have and they always had bumper crops.

MMDad

Lem Putt
jazz lady said:
Rhubarb grows well in this area if you get the right plants for our climate:

Stark Brothers Starkrimson Rhubarb

We're zone 7 and it grows well in zones 4-9 so it will do fine here. I've never grown it but have friends who have and they always had bumper crops.
:yay: It's just way too early. Just wait awhile, and you'll see it everywhere.

Camily, you probably remember it as a late summer treat, don't you?

camily

Peace
MMDad said:

Camily, you probably remember it as a late summer treat, don't you?
Truely I don't remember whan we ate it. Maybe around the same time we ate Gooseberries! :lmao: Now those are some sour berries!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
MMDad said:
The plants should be in nursuries now. I know Wentworth's carries Stark Brothers plants, so I would check there. The Greenery in Hollywood would be another place to check.

camily

Peace
jazz lady said:
The plants should be in nursuries now. I know Wentworth's carries Stark Brothers plants, so I would check there. The Greenery in Hollywood would be another place to check.
:yay: Great!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
camily said:
Truely I don't remember whan we ate it. Maybe around the same time we ate Gooseberries! :lmao: Now those are some sour berries!

Gooseberries are a pain in the butt but they make an awesome jam. :yay:

MMDad

Lem Putt
jazz lady said:
True. It is planting time, but harvest time is August.

refugee44

Actually, now is the time, and almost past time for rhubarb. It is very much a Spring plant, and in fact, it's one of the first signs of Spring, as far as I'm concerned. I bought about 10 pounds of it a month ago at a farmer's market in AA Co.

As mentioned, it looks like red and green thick celery stocks, is very sour, but is absolutely wonderful cooked with some sugar. I make rhubarb jam and it's a wonderful treat in the winter. Try it on some vanilla ice cream, on toast, even spread over baked chicken breasts....to die for!

camily

Peace
refugee44 said:
Actually, now is the time, and almost past time for rhubarb. It is very much a Spring plant, and in fact, it's one of the first signs of Spring, as far as I'm concerned. I bought about 10 pounds of it a month ago at a farmer's market in AA Co.

As mentioned, it looks like red and green thick celery stocks, is very sour, but is absolutely wonderful cooked with some sugar. I make rhubarb jam and it's a wonderful treat in the winter. Try it on some vanilla ice cream, on toast, even spread over baked chicken breasts....to die for!
Thanks for the tips!

bluemac

Saw some

I know what you mean that you miss it. I saw some the other day down at the Giant by Target. I don't remember the price, but they had a whole bunch. I tried to grow some but it didn't take, I don't know if it's our soil because I am not too far from the water. I told my sister to send some from Iowa.

camily

Peace
bluemac said:
I know what you mean that you miss it. I saw some the other day down at the Giant by Target. I don't remember the price, but they had a whole bunch. I tried to grow some but it didn't take, I don't know if it's our soil because I am not too far from the water. I told my sister to send some from Iowa.
Do you mean the Giant in Waldorf? If so, that would be great for me! BTW, did you get that garage door installed?