Rib roast on sale $4.99/lb at Giant

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Haven't tried that yet - I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Want to make sure you saw the part where the pan needs to be HOT before you throw the steak on. That's how you get your sear and nice crust. Depending on how your stove heats, you want to be on med-high to get the pan hot enough. When I was a young bride I ruined a lot of good meat because I was afraid of heat. And seasonings. And cooking in general. :jet:

I'm just not a big fan of pan fried steak, even if it's done right. I'd rather hit the grill even if it's -20* and snowing. In fact, I appreciate it even more.

Ok, one exception: chicken fried steak. Can't do that too well on the grill!

edinsomd

Dixie,
Ignore times, temperature is key. And remember carry-over cooking- meat temps will rise 5 degrees or so after you take it off the heat. So
1. Season simply. Usually S&P is all you need.
2. Cook to just below desired internal temp.
3. Remove from heat and cover meat with foil. Let it rest for 10 minutes or so, to reabsorb the juices and finish cooking. Here's a chart for reference.

Attachments

• Meat temperature chart copy.jpg
    Meat temperature chart copy.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 95

luvmygdaughters

You told me that once before when I was pondering how to keep batter on a fried oyster. I think you said when a drop of water sizzles and spits. Anyway that's what I do to make sure it's hot enough for them. I assume that some olive oil should be in the cast iron skillet for the filet mignon?

I use olive oil, no problem at all. Some people like to add butter, I don't, but some do. Make sure you turn your exhaust fan on, the house will definitely smoke up some. Enjoy!!

inkah

Score! (Giant card required, btw)

Now here's hoping I can actually cook the thing...

Dixie, maybe you and I should put our heads together since about the only thing I CAN cook is a good steak.

Agee

In addition to not enough seasoning, not letting the meat rest for at least twenty minutes before slicing, many forget to pull your meat out of the refrigerator and let it rest on the counter 20 to 30 minutes, before cooking, large cuts even longer.

Bon Appetite!

FED_UP

Dixie,
Ignore times, temperature is key. And remember carry-over cooking- meat temps will rise 5 degrees or so after you take it off the heat. So
2. Cook to just below desired internal temp.
3. Remove from heat and cover meat with foil. Let it rest for 10 minutes or so, to reabsorb the juices and finish cooking. Here's a chart for reference.

I want that round ass.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm just not a big fan of pan fried steak, even if it's done right. I'd rather hit the grill even if it's -20* and snowing. In fact, I appreciate it even more.

If I have red wine or something I like to do them on the stove and make a pan sauce from the drippings. But mostly, yeah, I prefer a grilled steak. We had rib steaks from the roasts I got at Giant last night and they were delicious.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I'm a seasoning freak, so I make my own beef rub with Misty seasoning, chipotle, smoked paprika, garlic, and instant coffee.

Yes, instant coffee. It's a cow's best friend. Well, a dead and butchered cow anyway.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I use a cast iron for my pan fried steaks. I have done tenderloin in the cast iron and it comes out delicious. Just make sure the pan is hot when you put the steaks in. I fry 2.5 minutes on each side to get that crispy bark:drool:, then turn the burner off and let the steaks cook an additional 3 - 4 minutes. We like ours medium rare. They come out delicious. I don't season them with anything but coarse ground sea salt and coarse ground black pepper.

I loveeee my steak on the cast iron, and I was strictly a grill girl before. They just turnout PERFECT. Couple tips for all yall who say they dont turn out:

Let the steak sit out and get room temp..we mostly use 1.5 inch NY strips or 1/1.5 inch ribeyes
pat dry with paper towels
use a small (tiny) bit of canola (NOT olive) oil and rub on the steaks
do not season them
let the cast iron heat up in a 500 degree oven then put on high heat on top of the stove
cook the steaks quickly on each side so they get a good coating on them (or grill marks with a grill pan)
stick in the oven to continue until they reach temp (I eat my steaks mooing so it isnt long)
As they are resting sprinkle with kocher salt and black pepper

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I loveeee my steak on the cast iron, and I was strictly a grill girl before. They just turnout PERFECT. Couple tips for all yall who say they dont turn out:

Let the steak sit out and get room temp..we mostly use 1.5 inch NY strips or 1/1.5 inch ribeyes
do not season them
let the cast iron heat up in a 500 degree oven then put on high heat on top of the stove
cook the steaks quickly on each side so they get a good coating on them (or grill marks with a grill pan)
stick in the oven to continue until they reach temp (I eat my steaks mooing so it isnt long)

Hmm. OK..I definitely never cooked them like that. Maybe worth another try....thanks!

luvmygdaughters

do not season them

Never finished them off in the oven before, may have to try that. I use olive oil on the advice from my husbands heart doctor. That's why I don't add the butter either. But I agree with you, pan fried in cast iron is the only way to go. When I do them on the grill, its got to be a charcoal grill, I don't use the gas grill that much anymore.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
While the meat is resting dice a shallot and mince a clove of garlic, then toss them in the pan for a couple of minutes (until fragrant), then add a 1/2 cup of beef broth and maybe a little butter. Make sure you deglaze all the goodies from the pan. Let it reduce to a semi-thick sauce and pour over the steak.

yum!

Never finished them off in the oven before, may have to try that. I use olive oil on the advice from my husbands heart doctor. That's why I don't add the butter either. But I agree with you, pan fried in cast iron is the only way to go. When I do them on the grill, its got to be a charcoal grill, I don't use the gas grill that much anymore.

olive oil has a lower smoke point than some of the other oils. if you want to use it, get the "extra light" rather than the ex virgin, they refine it more so its smoke point goes up. more meat taste, less char taste.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Ah. You need a good meat thermometer. That will help. And never ever ever ever never ever cook meat in the microwave, even if it's just to warm it up. Ruins it completely.

Going to take exception to this post, I microwave chicken for 5 minutes per pound before putting it on the grill. It keeps chicken moist while allowing it to cook all of the way through. Chicken cooked from raw on the grill tends to burn before it cooks through to the bone or else dries out when you cook to low.