riding vests for protection of upper body

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So I took a tumble late last week and dropped 5 feet to the ground off of my horse onto my back. As I hit, apparently my right side was the first to make contact, so I have badly bruised ribs on the right side/back and maybe a fracture? I'm not going for x-rays unless the pain is still bad by this weekend.

I think that it's time for me to consider a riding vest, as I may not be as lucky the next time to be able to walk away on my own.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments about the current riding vests available?

DEEKAYPEE8569

So I took a tumble late last week and dropped 5 feet to the ground off of my horse onto my back. As I hit, apparently my right side was the first to make contact, so I have badly bruised ribs on the right side/back and maybe a fracture? I'm not going for x-rays unless the pain is still bad by this weekend.

I think that it's time for me to consider a riding vest, as I may not be as lucky the next time to be able to walk away on my own.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments about the current riding vests available?

Arkie, I'm not trying to be sarcastic; just thought I should preface my post, for what it's worth; but years ago the proverbial "they" used to make vests like you'd wear boating; life preservers. They were actual vests with 1/2 inch or 1 inch foam; I don't remember exactly; sewn inside a nylon shell; not those big orange ones you put around your neck and tie around your ribs.
The vest's padding covered the sternum, ribbs and back down to the beltline if properly sized. I had one when I was in grade school that I'd wear when Dad took me for rides on his motorcycle all those years ago.
Prob'ly LOOKED stupid; but I was a kid; and I didn't care. :shrug:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Arkie, I'm not trying to be sarcastic; just thought I should preface my post, for what it's worth; but years ago the proverbial "they" used to make vests like you'd wear boating; life preservers. They were actual vests with 1/2 inch or 1 inch foam; I don't remember exactly; sewn inside a nylon shell; not those big orange ones you put around your neck and tie around your ribs.
The vest's padding covered the sternum, ribbs and back down to the beltline if properly sized. I had one when I was in grade school that I'd wear when Dad took me for rides on his motorcycle all those years ago.
Prob'ly LOOKED stupid; but I was a kid; and I didn't care. :shrug:

Most of the Equestrian vests I've seen online run from about $200+. Overpriced? Absolutely !!

I'm sure I'll be quite the sight with a vest on, and also one of those bug nets over my head to keep from eating bugs LOL

DEEKAYPEE8569

Most of the Equestrian vests I've seen online run from about $200+. Overpriced? Absolutely !!

I'm sure I'll be quite the sight with a vest on, and also one of those bug nets over my head to keep from eating bugs LOL

Nah.....quite a sight would be a mosquito net; like some people have around their beds; mounted on your saddle. :lol:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Once more the people of the the world are doing "Arkies work for her.
Look up and find her a riding vest! QUICK....She is "Helpless" and cant do it for herself!! :jameo:

Arky,..go to your feed and tack store and ASK instead of playing the helpless person, once more.

You have so many "friends" on Facebook, ask them..
Go Google riding vests..
Go ask your horse people from your horse rescue days...
and while you are at it, get a helmet! You really should wear one every time you are on a horse!

This "Help Me" role is getting really old!
It is a riot to read and so much fun to comment too..
But I think you are smart enough to do the research yourself, but somehow you feel the need to play the role of the helpless victim.

Katelin, you seem a wee bit agitated with Arkie's post.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Also important is WHY you fell off your horse.
And please don't blame the horse, you are the rider and in charge!
Figure that out and there won't be a next time.
Better control would be a good thing too!

Do you wear a helmet at all times when you ride?

Who are you and who pissed in your Wheaties? She is asking in the HORSE forum for suggestions on a HORSE vest. It's sorta like asking a car question in the car forum, it belongs there.

I don't see any blame pointed to the horse and I'm sorry but amazing riders fall off all the time. I don't know Ark and can't comment on her or her abilities but, you come off a bit nuts.

Meow.

Ark-
Check out Rodney Powell (custom), Airowear, and Charles Owen.

Check for BETA 3, ASTM, and SEI in the description of whatever you choose.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Who are you and who pissed in your Wheaties? She is asking in the HORSE forum for suggestions on a HORSE vest. It's sorta like asking a car question in the car forum, it belongs there.

I don't see any blame pointed to the horse and I'm sorry but amazing riders fall off all the time. I don't know Ark and can't comment on her or her abilities but, you come off a bit nuts.

Meow.

Ark-

Oh EXCUSE me!!! It is the HORSIE peeps...sorry I stepped in your stable...:coffee: I'll go muck MY stuff and leave.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Oh EXCUSE me!!! It is the HORSIE peeps...sorry I stepped in your stable...:coffee: I'll go muck MY stuff and leave.

Hahaha, no you're welcome to post - I just don't understand why you were/are so angry at Ark for asking a horse question in the horse forum. You're telling him/her to go google, ask in a tack shop or on facebook. Why not in the horse forum?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

Meow.

Ark-

Katelin is showing off her incredible people skills again I see :sarcasm: She's been stalking me for a while now and she thinks her words hurt me but they don't :bigwhoop:

I saw this one right off:

Rodney Powell Elite Protective Vest - Size: CXSW Color: Navy and Outlet Jackets/Vests | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

I'm liking the price on that one <G> - going to check the others you suggested also. I wonder if Horse Journal did any product testing on vests yet? I'll check their website (I'm a subscriber).

I appreciate the input.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Talk about timing .....

"Why I’m Not An Air-Vest Fan—Yet
By John Strassburger, May 8, 2012

As an active event rider and the father of a young son, I’ve pondered for the last few years whether, in the name of riding safety, I should shell out the bucks for either a Point Two or Hit-Air air vest. Well, now that I’ve ridden in one in order to write this month’s lead article in the Horse Journal, I’ve decided that I’m not going to buy an air vest—for at least a few years. (The issue is available as a free download with a special subscription price deal.)"

Why I

I'm still trying to access the archived articles to see if a vest trial was done.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
There must have been something in the air last week. I took a tumble on Thursday afternoon. I was bruised up but helmet took the brunt of it.

I have looked at the Tipperary vests also.

Oh and I replaced my helmet.

To Katelin - horses are flight or prey animals. Last week my fall was because I did something stupid and he reacted. It was also a windy day and he was full of it.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I wear an armored mesh jacket on the bike. There is elbow, sholder and spine protection and the mesh allows air flow on hot days.
Should work on a horse, falling down works the same for both.

Eventer29

I have a Charles Owen JL9 and love it. Really molds to your body and makes me feel safe..r. Some of my kids have the intec that looks like the tipperary and love it because they hardly know its there. Another has the tipperary lite ride and wears it every ride, it is nice and lite. For comfort I would prob avoid the flex rider as they are the least flexible I have tried. They may have improved some since I last tried one though.
I think wearing a vest while riding is a great idea. I dont wear one every ride like I do my helmet, but it sure wouldnt hurt if I did! You never know when you might have a surprise landing!

Eventer29

There is lots of debate over which vest is most safe. What I go by is what are you most likely to actually wear!!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
wow... ICsomeone has yet again made an arse out of herself :cds:...

anywho... Arkie... I have some bubble wrap ..and a tie down strap.... strap will be your seat belt!!

hope you are ok

SoMDGirl42

wow... ICsomeone has yet again made an arse out of herself :cds:...

anywho... Arkie... I have some bubble wrap ..and a tie down strap.... strap will be your seat belt!!

hope you are ok

Strap? Heck no, duct tape! Neon Green. She can be the bubble girl! I'll be the helicopter mom and tape her up.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Strap? Heck no, duct tape! Neon Green. She can be the bubble girl! I'll be the helicopter mom and tape her up.

:smack: duct tape will hurt when you pull it off the horse....

strap her down... like when you haul furniture!!!

SoMDGirl42

:smack: duct tape will hurt when you pull it off the horse....

strap her down... like when you haul furniture!!!

We don't want to hurt her if she falls and gets tangled up in the strap, we just want to watch her bounce when she hits the ground so we can point and laugh. Think giant sumo wrestler outfit, but with bubble wrap and duct tape.