Rita

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
willie said:
Yes, what a concept. Elected officials doing what they were elected to do instead of playing king Nagin and queen Blanco.

Is that school buses being used to evacuate? Never. :lol:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Houston will be ok. What's going to suffer is all of the refineries in Passadena and western LA. My dad works for an oil company and told me that thier refinery in the area of Lake Charles, LA was already shut down. Houston is having fuel shortages because of so many people leaving. A lot of people seem to forget that Houston is the 4th largest city in the US but somehow they seem to be doing far better than New Orleans. :confused:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
rack'm said:
Hurricane Rita's rapid intensification cycle that began Tuesday afternoon ended early Thursday and the winds tailed off slightly. Top winds at 11 AM EDT were 165 mph (down 10 mph from 5 AM), making Rita a category 5 hurricane. Rita's pressure dramatically dropped to 897 millibars by Wednesday evening, but has now risen to 913 millibars.[/URL]

That wind you feel coming from the north is actually all of the puckering in Texas causing a draft

Nah, watch how it blows through, does its damage, and everything just goes pretty much back to normal in a relatively short period of time for a storm this size. In fact, I bet you that NO is still the disaster news story once again after this one blows through. You would think it would be a city that had over 6 million people needing to evacuate and had billions upon billions more in infrastructure, high rises, and housing more than the other one, but it won't be. Houston will accept it, do what needs to be done, and move on.. unlike some neighbors to the East.

rack'm

Jaded
FromTexas said:
Nah, watch how it blows through, does its damage, and everything just goes pretty much back to normal in a relatively short period of time for a storm this size. In fact, I bet you that NO is still the disaster news story once again after this one blows through. You would think it would be a city that had over 6 million people needing to evacuate and had billions upon billions more in infrastructure, high rises, and housing more than the other one, but it won't be. Houston will accept it, do what needs to be done, and move on.. unlike some neighbors to the East.

I agree, I was just making a small funny..... :lol:

I really wish it would hit New Orleans again, but it won't. :ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Looks like the closest community to the projected landfall will be Cameron, LA. A lot of wildlife refuges in the area and oil and gas rigs.

Last edited:
C

canuk woman

nomoney said:
No, its up to 203 mph now. but if you weren't busy watching desperate housewives you might have seen that.

you should be talking to my mom about desperate housewives and besides i'm at school right now and don't give me lip because i have the afternoon off

nomoney

canuk woman said:
you should be talking to my mom about desperate housewives and besides i'm at school right now and don't give me lip because i have the afternoon off
how did you get the afternoon off?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
FromTexas said:
My 2 brothers, their wives, their kids, my parents, my wifes parents, her 8 brothers/sisters and their spouses (those who have), a couple of her aunts/uncles, and her grandmother are all in Houston. My side has all decided to meet up at my parents retirement acreage about 100 miles north of Houston. However, the new map shows it tracking right through there and staying a hurricane till then. There is only a small house on that property right now until they build their retirement house. I think they may have to go further north.

Some of my wife's family has moved off other places already. However, on both sides most live on the north side. By the time the storm gets to that side, it probably won't be able to stay stronger than a CAT 3. Houston is about 70 miles inland already. However, if it hits at 185 mph winds that means at least a CAT4 taking on downtown skyscrapers. :yikes:
I don't understand why people aren't heading toward San Antonio and southern Texas? The hurricane is moving Northwest, yet people are going North? :confused:

C

canuk woman

nomoney said:
how did you get the afternoon off?

Every once in awhile at my school we have TAG individual meetings and my TAG advisor was away today but the point is after the meetings the senior high kids get the rest of the afternoon off

C

canuk woman

morganj614 said:
EXCUSE US..YOU are the child here and the only one giving lip...well, in this thread. There's plenty of lip in other threads also :lol:

well what about yours? (well duh your avatar)

bedazzle

I spoke with a friend who has his elderly mother with him and they've been trying to get to San Antonio for the past 9 hours. They have only gone 15 miles. They started out at 3:30 this morning. They're about to run out of gas.

C

canuk woman

guess what i was just on the cnn site and it said something about slow evacuations despite the fact that hurricane rita has downgraded to a category 4 storm (please don't go back to 5)