Robert Griffin or bust?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The CW seems to be coming to the conclusion that the Redskins HAVE to get RGIII. Some point to the fact that Shanahan has never done well absent absolutely top level talent at QB and did a great job helping develop a young Elway and a young...Young...before coming back to Denver to win back to back with Elway. And also add that, if we're gonna get good under Mike's leadership, he's gotta start winning this coming year. Others argue that Griffin, regardless of Shanahan, would be our franchise guy for a decade or more.

I can go with the later and I think the former is absurd. As good as Young was, he was on, essentially, an all Star team and Elway was one of the great one man shows of all time, perennially leading Denver to winning seasons with all sorts of shortcomings on those teams winning it all only at the end of his career with very good defenses and solid running games.

Now, it should go without saying that it is quite a tall order to classify Griffin in that class considering they are both Hall of Fame quarterbacks, Elway being, to some, the best ever. He, RGIII, would have to be THAT good to win anytime soon as a Redskin because we are so devoid of skill talent and have an average O line not to mention an under performing D whose heart and soul is entering his 15th year.

If we get him, I think it is for the long term and I don't know that he should start any time soon. The Eagles put McNabb in as a rookie and he did OK but, I think it stunted him for the rest of his career. Lotta bad habits develop when so much is on you and you spend most of your time running for your life.

I don't think you shell out two #1's and all the rest they're talking about to get him. Build the team sez I.

:buddies:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm going to have to disagree with you Larry. I say burn the two first rounders, take advantage of the new rookie salary cap for RGIII, and trade some end of contract players (ahem, Landry) for free agents or picks hopefully. There is strong support from Pats fans to acquire Landry but who knows Billzabub will do there. I'm sure there are others we could part with that still have a future in the NFL.

Keep Sexy Rexy as the starter, deal Beck, move up for RG, use some of that cap room to pick up some FAs and look for some gems in the junk in the later rounds.

Head to Vegas, or Charles Town in your case and hit the tables.

kom526

uhhhh..... Fred Davis & Trent Williams :confused:

Too much time on their hands I guess. I would love to have traded one of them. Fred Davis and a tractor trailer full of cheetos for a decent cover corner.:cool:

Hank

my war
Too much time on their hands I guess. I would love to have traded one of them. Fred Davis and a tractor trailer full of cheetos for a decent cover corner.:cool:

Hey, maybe the weed helped...:shrug: He had a hell of a season!

Wonder if he played better on grass over turf... :confused:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The CW seems to be coming to the conclusion that the Redskins HAVE to get RGIII. Some point to the fact that Shanahan has never done well absent absolutely top level talent at QB and did a great job helping develop a young Elway and a young...Young...before coming back to Denver to win back to back with Elway. And also add that, if we're gonna get good under Mike's leadership, he's gotta start winning this coming year. Others argue that Griffin, regardless of Shanahan, would be our franchise guy for a decade or more.

I can go with the later and I think the former is absurd. As good as Young was, he was on, essentially, an all Star team and Elway was one of the great one man shows of all time, perennially leading Denver to winning seasons with all sorts of shortcomings on those teams winning it all only at the end of his career with very good defenses and solid running games.

Now, it should go without saying that it is quite a tall order to classify Griffin in that class considering they are both Hall of Fame quarterbacks, Elway being, to some, the best ever. He, RGIII, would have to be THAT good to win anytime soon as a Redskin because we are so devoid of skill talent and have an average O line not to mention an under performing D whose heart and soul is entering his 15th year.

If we get him, I think it is for the long term and I don't know that he should start any time soon. The Eagles put McNabb in as a rookie and he did OK but, I think it stunted him for the rest of his career. Lotta bad habits develop when so much is on you and you spend most of your time running for your life.

I don't think you shell out two #1's and all the rest they're talking about to get him. Build the team sez I.

I don't think having the best QB is going to be any help if he doesn't have time, build up a monster front line and anybody can work behind it.

BuddyLee

Football addict
RGIII or bust. I'm all in.

I want my own franchise guy. I'm tired of getting retreads and washed up QBs.

Yes, it is time to build our team.

kom526

RGIII is at top speed in two steps or less, a mediocre (but constantly improving) OL is sufficient with that type of speed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Looking into my near flawless crystal ball, here is what it says;

STAY THE COURSE.

This means no RGIII and no Peyton Manning.

Folks are making the argument for both but, after all the considerations, the pro's of getting one or the other, either one will represent a return to what ails this team; glitter over gold. It would simply cost too much to go either way and I am talking the draft picks to get RG or the draft picks traded to get Manning some sort of live bodies to work with.

First, Manning. Folks are saying Snyder is, if nothing else, a salesman and got Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanahan, et al, so, he could sell him on the Skins and DC. Yeah, and it hasn't worked. None of those people had to line up and trust their blind side to a kid who still smokes dope and whose best offensive weapon has the same recreational priorities, both working for an organization that sees fit to keep people like that. While the Skins may have cut back on the mistakes of the past, those two still being here represents a direct connection to the past. I see NO way Manning comes here by choice and if Snyder simply makes him an offer he can't refuse, like he's done others who really didn't want to be here, then, that is THE signal that the experiment is over and Dan is back in the drivers seat.

As for RGIII, whatever difference Manning may, MAY be able to make in a losing team because of his elite status at this level, Griffin has yet to take an NFL snap. He can't make up for lack of talent like Manning could. At least not yet. What it would cost in draft picks, to me, is a set back just as big as getting Manning.

Stay the course, Use the picks, trade 'em perhaps, and add even more picks. BUILD the team. Don't 'buy' it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Manning is not going to sign to team that is "rebuilding".... Skins have no chance.

The writers say, if there is a chance, it's because of his relationship with Shanahan and questions about the other choices, namely Miami with a rookie head coach. There is no way I see it, no way at all unless Snyder gets absurd with the money. Even then, it makes very little sense.

Miami is the leading contender for a lot of reasons. A right tackle, solid defense, good skill people and he already has a home there so, he likes Miami. Add to that TWO games a year against Brady and the potential of playing his brother in the Super Bowl. That is a lot more enticing, in my view, than playing Eli twice a year but, never a chance at the Superbowl.

Hank

my war
The writers say, if there is a chance, it's because of his relationship with Shanahan and questions about the other choices, namely Miami with a rookie head coach. There is no way I see it, no way at all unless Snyder gets absurd with the money. Even then, it makes very little sense.

Miami is the leading contender for a lot of reasons. A right tackle, solid defense, good skill people and he already has a home there so, he likes Miami. Add to that TWO games a year against Brady and the potential of playing his brother in the Super Bowl. That is a lot more enticing, in my view, than playing Eli twice a year but, never a chance at the Superbowl.

Yeah, I highly doubt Manning will be influenced by the money... Homeboy wants to win and win now! hmmmm.... wonder what he would look like in a Dallas uniform...

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I would rather see the Skins sign Manning or Flynn and pay them an absurd amount of money to get them instead of giving the draft picks to move up for RGIII, JMO

BuddyLee

Football addict
STAY THE COURSE.
We've been on this course for 20 years. Time for something new.

I'm all in. A talent such as RGIII will build your franchise. Other players will want to come here, play hard and succeed. We need many changes, passing up on a possible franchise QB (again) would dumbfound me.

Plus, whether fans want this or not, the time is ticking on Shanny. Without a QB he's in a division looking up. He won't be here for much longer if he doesn't start winning or a bright young QB shows promise (a la Cam Newton).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We've been on this course for 20 years. Time for something new. We've been on the build responsibly and reasonably course for two years.

I'm all in. A talent such as RGIII will build your franchise. Other players will want to come here, play hard and succeed. I can see that argument We need many changes, passing up on a possible franchise QB (again) would dumbfound me. How many we 'pass' up? People wanted to move up for Sanchez. Dodged that bullet, yeah?

Plus, whether fans want this or not, the time is ticking on Shanny. Without a QB he's in a division looking up. He won't be here for much longer if he doesn't start winning or a bright young QB shows promise (a la Cam Newton).

I could care less about Shanahan. He is not the on the way up coach I think we need. Who comes back and wins anymore? No one.