Robert Griffin or bust?

CrashTest

3 number 1s and a 2. That's not a trade. That is a disaster.

With past first rounders like Desmond Howard, Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Patrick Ramsey, and Jason Campbell, it really doesn't matter that they won't have any for a while.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Think about great qb's or any position and how they got to their team. They were either the outright pick or argued for where they wanted to go. Name a trade for a bunch of high picks that worked. It set back New Orleans and Minnesota back each a decade.

There is something inherently built in to fail when that much is given for a guy.

Name one that worked.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Think about great qb's or any position and how they got to their team. They were either the outright pick or argued for where they wanted to go. Name a trade for a bunch of high picks that worked. It set back New Orleans and Minnesota back each a decade.

There is something inherently built in to fail when that much is given for a guy.

Name one that worked.
You can't use that as an excuse. The New Orleans deal was worse. Plus the pool of examples is so small.

I could, however, refer to the Manning/Rivers trade. That worked out for the Giants.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well, if were to rid ourselves of Shanny, we'd be staying the course.:jameo:

My point is that unproven coaches getting their shot is the path to enlightenment. The only 're-tread' coach that wins is Coughlin and he never stopped.

This whole thing is more, I think, about the Shanhans enjoying life together more than building a consistently excellent team.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You can't use that as an excuse. Why not? The New Orleans deal was worse. Plus the pool of examples is so small.

I could, however, refer to the Manning/Rivers trade. That worked out for the Giants.

Yes but, that was Eli demanding to not go to San Diego, like Elway refused to go to the Colts and those deals were just swaps.

This is a disaster. A calamity. A return to the marketing first mentality, more sizzle than steak ideology, that has gotten this team down and kept it down. He can sell product. Market it. Create buzz. That, is, typically, the by product of winning. Winning is not the by product of sizzle.

We still have an average, at best, D line. Excellence there is what makes the Giants a consistent winner. We still have, at best, an average O line with a kid more interested in getting high than being the best tackle in the league. The Pats and Packers have excelled at O line. Our heart and soul player is entering his 15th year with no heir apparent, Fletcher. Our special teams are merely average.

Just as we get our spending under control and restock the draft picks, a several year process, we revert. The scorpion has stung the croc. It is what it is.

How does this kid, how does ANYONE, live up to this trade? It can be done but, good lord, look at the challenges, the gaping holes in this team.

:shrug:

BuddyLee

Football addict
My point is that unproven coaches getting their shot is the path to enlightenment. The only 're-tread' coach that wins is Coughlin and he never stopped.

This whole thing is more, I think, about the Shanhans enjoying life together more than building a consistently excellent team.

That's a possibility. If they didn't draft 'their guy' they don't get the benefeit of the doubt in year 4 and 5.

Also keep in mind, the new rookie wage scale. Makes the price of a first rounder more managable.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Yes but, that was Eli demanding to not go to San Diego, like Elway refused to go to the Colts and those deals were just swaps.

This is a disaster. A calamity. A return to the marketing first mentality, more sizzle than steak ideology, that has gotten this team down and kept it down. He can sell product. Market it. Create buzz. That, is, typically, the by product of winning. Winning is not the by product of sizzle.

We still have an average, at best, D line. Excellence there is what makes the Giants a consistent winner. We still have, at best, an average O line with a kid more interested in getting high than being the best tackle in the league. The Pats and Packers have excelled at O line. Our heart and soul player is entering his 15th year with no heir apparent, Fletcher. Our special teams are merely average.

Just as we get our spending under control and restock the draft picks, a several year process, we revert. The scorpion has stung the croc. It is what it is.

How does this kid, how does ANYONE, live up to this trade? It can be done but, good lord, look at the challenges, the gaping holes in this team.

:shrug:
Someone was going to make this trade. Most teams in our position would have done the same. You just can't put a price or be frugal with your franchise QB.

I don't see this as a reversion. Again, our biggest failing has been at the QB position. Holes can be filled through the draft as we've already seen Shanny make something out of nothing. Of course, being one of the top teams under the cap helps out a lot in free agency as well.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
26 reasons why this makes sense. Look at our last 26 QBs. Any other team in our position makes this happen. You can't put a limit on 'your guy', 'your franchise'.

Eli Manning
Rogers
Roethsliburger
Brady
Bree's
Payton
Warner
Rex

Those guys are the starters of the last 6 super bowls.

Go back another 6

Where is the guy that someone traded the farm for? Hell, forget the Super bowl participants. Name anyone who so much was traded for that worked out even OK, just playoff caliber?

I just heard on the radio that the Redskins are still pursing Manning! Like he wants to come here, get the crap kicked out of him to play caddy to his replacement! He could stayed in Indy and done that! There's a complete lack of perspective if, and I say IF, the goal is winning. For the last two years it seemed things had changed. Stop with the stupid free agent signings, rebuild your picks, get younger and deeper and that is happening.

And now, poof. In a flash, it's gone. Now they HAVE to go buy skill people. They HAVE to buy linemen. So, we are right back to no picks and over paying which means we're right back to guys coming here to get paid, not to win.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Eli Manning
Rogers
Roethsliburger
Brady
Bree's
Payton
Warner
Rex

Those guys are the starters of the last 6 super bowls.

Go back another 6

Where is the guy that someone traded the farm for? Hell, forget the Super bowl participants. Name anyone who so much was traded for that worked out even OK, just playoff caliber?

I just heard on the radio that the Redskins are still pursing Manning! Like he wants to come here, get the crap kicked out of him to play caddy to his replacement! He could stayed in Indy and done that! There's a complete lack of perspective if, and I say IF, the goal is winning. For the last two years it seemed things had changed. Stop with the stupid free agent signings, rebuild your picks, get younger and deeper and that is happening.

And now, poof. In a flash, it's gone. Now they HAVE to go buy skill people. They HAVE to buy linemen. So, we are right back to no picks and over paying which means we're right back to guys coming here to get paid, not to win.
Should we have started Beck so that we can get that #1 pick next year? Draft one if these other Ramsey look-alikes with the #6 pick?

You see your guy, you don't wait. You don't flinch.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Someone was going to make this trade. Most teams in our position would have done the same. You just can't put a price or be frugal with your franchise QB. Yeah. Yeah you can.

I don't see this as a reversion. Again, our biggest failing has been at the QB position. Holes can be filled through the draft as we've already seen Shanny make something out of nothing. Of course, being one of the top teams under the cap helps out a lot in free agency as well.

Good teams win with average qb's. We are not a good team. We have LOTS of 'failings' and, with Fletcher entering his 15th year, this team is on the verge of losing our MVP.

Again, who has so over done it for their franchise guy?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Should we have started Beck so that we can get that #1 pick next year? Draft one if these other Ramsey look-alikes with the #6 pick?

You see your guy, you don't wait. You don't flinch.

All I can do is hope your right. Hope your right that we are blazing a trail of a whole new way to being a top team.

:buddies:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Good teams win with average qb's. We are not a good team. We have LOTS of 'failings' and, with Fletcher entering his 15th year, this team is on the verge of losing our MVP.

Again, who has so over done it for their franchise guy?
The last SB MVP.