Rockfish?

Chris0nllyn

I had a funeral to attend, so I couldn't go out, but friends of mine went out.....didn't catch chit.

Water temp may be a bit too cold still.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had a funeral to attend, so I couldn't go out, but friends of mine went out.....didn't catch chit.

Water temp may be a bit too cold still.

From what I've heard, fishing was pretty slow. Water temp a full 10 degrees lower than this time last year and way off the historic mean; I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

From what I've heard, fishing was pretty slow. Water temp a full 10 degrees lower than this time last year and way off the historic mean; I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

So they are not moving into the area yet? Holding South? Or here and just not feeding.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Some folks were able to connect.
Buzz's Marina - Fish Tales

Sweet...lots of nice looking fish then. The usual criminals I talk to didn't fare quite so well. I was also basing that on what the commercial guys told me; they were not seeing rock in their nets. Big croakers just hit our area last Thursday/Friday though...and I do mean big ones.

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Sweet...lots of nice looking fish then. The usual criminals I talk to didn't fare quite so well. I was also basing that on what the commercial guys told me; they were not seeing rock in their nets. Big croakers just hit our area last Thursday/Friday though...and I do mean big ones.
Oh man I am glad to hear that! I was expecting a good croaker year after all the little ones we caught last year. :yahoo:

Caution

Had to be pounds. They have to be 28" minimum to keep.

They are out there. Heading south though cause I have not seen any Sea Lice on anything caught so far. We have hit our limit every day we went out so far. Mostly seem to have had the best luck earlier in the mornings from say 8-11. Typically has been slowing down from then. Pic below is one caught Saturday. 47.5 Inches and 40 lbs.

Attachments

• Fish 019.jpg
    Fish 019.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They are out there. Heading south though cause I have not seen any Sea Lice on anything caught so far. We have hit our limit every day we went out so far. Mostly seem to have had the best luck earlier in the mornings from say 8-11. Typically has been slowing down from then. Pic below is one caught Saturday. 47.5 Inches and 40 lbs.

:drool: Nice fish!

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I caught some last Saturday too. 38, 39 & a 42. We didn't get a hit until 11:30 then put 3 in the boat within an hour. These were heading in because they were full of roe. The 42" had an alewife in her...LOL.

Attachments

• 282311_10200945861025859_762313341_n.jpg
    282311_10200945861025859_762313341_n.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 942845_10200945862145887_1066770428_n.jpg
    942845_10200945862145887_1066770428_n.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 115
  • 942378_10200945863505921_949571658_n.jpg
    942378_10200945863505921_949571658_n.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 109

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I caught some last Saturday too. 38, 39 & a 42. We didn't get a hit until 11:30 then put 3 in the boat within an hour. These were heading in because they were full of roe. The 42" had an alewife in her...LOL.

#3 reminds me of those Russian nesting dolls. :lol:

Caution

SWEET! We have been going out of Tall Timbers. Working from there south to the Fuel docks. Been getting most of them on the Va side just a bit north of Ragged Point. Things got slow Saturday afternoon so we tried working the channel down there hoping for some bigger fish. Did not have much luck with that.

They seem to prefer white this season. I'd say 90% of what we have caught so far has been on white.

And you told me they had spawned.

I know right! That's what I get for reading the DNR website...:lol:

Yeah, the 2012 report is no longer valid. :lol: Even in warm springs I've got some with eggs. I really think they should start the season depending on when they actually spawn not a yearly average of when 3/4 of them do or however they figure it. They seem to be doing well enough though.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
SWEET! We have been going out of Tall Timbers. Working from there south to the Fuel docks. Been getting most of them on the Va side just a bit north of Ragged Point. Things got slow Saturday afternoon so we tried working the channel down there hoping for some bigger fish. Did not have much luck with that.

They seem to prefer white this season. I'd say 90% of what we have caught so far has been on white.
These were caught in the bay between Hoopers light and buoy 74 in 90-124' of water on white. I heard a couple captains say green was hot too.

This weekend I'm heading out behind St. Clements Island and may run down past Ragged Point too.