Rockfish?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Went out for a bit today. Was right dang breezy. Coming out of the east so we hugged the MD side of the Potomac. Caught one 38" in about 40' of water. And got another on one of the longer lines and lost it about 3/4 of the way to the boat. Was hard to keep a constant speed and during a slow spell and he decided to try and go deep while crossing over two other lines that we could not get reeled in fast enough.

Fish were scattered and we were not able to find large groups like we could yesterday. Looks like the winds are going to be a bit better tomorrow. 10-11 out of the NE.
It was breezy!! We started out by Ragged Point and picked up large grass on all rods in 30 feet. Cleaned those off and trolled from 9:30 to 1:30 without a hit.

I came home and launched from the Wicomoco, rode down to St. Clements & trolled up to Cobb Island and nothing but wind. Ran up to Allens Fresh and landed this 16 pounder.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 83

Caution

I dunno bout that.... from the NWS.

Ya just checked the small craft advisory. Does not look like a day I wanna be out there.

We only picked up grass on one line lesterday and that was the line we caught one of the fish on. The 41" fish went deep while trying to get him in. He was on the rear leader on the line and the grass one had grass on it.

Was kinda of a pain in the foot trying to work the Va side down by Ragged point as there were so many other boats trying to do the same it was a traffic nightmare. Even had one guy trying to get his lines all set out right where everyone else was trying to troll at.: rolleyes:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ya just checked the small craft advisory. Does not look like a day I wanna be out there.

:

I'm sitting here watching the white caps on St. Georges Creek and the mouth of the St. Mary's River and the big trees around the office are really rockin'....not a good day to be on the river.

Caution

I'm sitting here watching the white caps on St. Georges Creek and the mouth of the St. Mary's River and the big trees around the office are really rockin'....not a good day to be on the river.

We actually went out. Went down to the Boat to do a few things and at about 9:30 did not see that it was all that bad. Winds out of the NE at about 11 kts. Figured we would give it a try. Caught the first 36" before we even got all the lines out. Stayed close to the MD side and close to home in case we did not like what we saw. Waves were about 1' for the first hour then <1' for pretty much the rest of the day. Actually turned kinda nice. Had some white caps early for about an hour but not bad at all.

Ended up catching our limit in about 4 hours.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We actually went out. Went down to the Boat to do a few things and at about 9:30 did not see that it was all that bad. Winds out of the NE at about 11 kts. Figured we would give it a try. Caught the first 36" before we even got all the lines out. Stayed close to the MD side and close to home in case we did not like what we saw. Waves were about 1' for the first hour then <1' for pretty much the rest of the day. Actually turned kinda nice. Had some white caps early for about an hour but not bad at all.

Ended up catching our limit in about 4 hours.

When I went up the road later, I noticed that the river side was not too bad. That lee shore effect sure makes a big difference. Glad you had a good day out there.:buddies:

Caution

When I went up the road later, I noticed that the river side was not too bad. That lee shore effect sure makes a big difference. Glad you had a good day out there.:buddies:

Thanks. Was glad to squeeze that one in before the rain hit. So today for dinner having Rockfish, Crab Cakes and Cole Slaw. LOL Also some Snakehead fillets :buddies:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I need to hook up with Baja and Joker do some snakehead fishing.
DNR had a report that one was caught in Nomini Bay. That means they're here! :yahoo:

Also hearing reports of large croaker and some perch moving in.

Caution

I need to hook up with Baja and Joker do some snakehead fishing.

DNR had a report that one was caught in Nomini Bay. That means they're here! :yahoo:

Also hearing reports of large croaker and some perch moving in.

Don't break out the pole just yet. LOL The snakehead was given to us by a buddy and I am not exactly sure where he caught it. I just sent him a text to ask.

But per the Fishing Report some fellow has brought in some croaker off Solomons. So it won't be long before we see more of those

Quantities of Rock Continue to Increase | St. Mary's County MD Tourism

Never had Snakehead till tonight. It was actually pretty good.

Caution

Maryland Angler's Log - Share Your Catch! | Maryland Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Service

Bottom of Page

Excerpt:
Posted on May 1, 2013

St. Marys Snakehead

Type: Tidal
Region: Southern

"Today, during a bike ride around St. Mary's River State Park we found a living snakehead fish (20" long, 3 lbs) on the shore. It was placed there by one of the two anglers that were at the site. It was caught just below the outfall of the dam in the catch pool. I severed the spinal cord and the angler removed the fish presumably to consume it."

Last edited: