• Only bread if you dont have the proper roll but still okay

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Not acceptable, must be on rolls

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Throw the food at them

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

cricketmd

Its summer time and each year I always wonder this. Is it acceptable to eat or serve hotdogs or pulled BBQ or cheeseburger on bread. Not using rolls but bread? I ask this because I grew up somewhat poor and a little disadvantaged, we never had rolls, those were too expensive. We ate hotdogs, cheeseburgers, etc... on bread. As I get older I have had people shun my hotdogs and not eat because it was to be served on bread not a "hotdog roll". Me and a friend constantly have this battle. She too wants things only on their respective rolls. Am I the only one in the dark and using bread? Is it rude to not have rolls and offer bread? Is it me? :confused: TIA :flowers:

belvak

Happy Camper
Its summer time and each year I always wonder this. Is it acceptable to eat or serve hotdogs or pulled BBQ or cheeseburger on bread. Not using rolls but bread? I ask this because I grew up somewhat poor and a little disadvantaged, we never had rolls, those were too expensive. We ate hotdogs, cheeseburgers, etc... on bread. As I get older I have had people shun my hotdogs and not eat because it was to be served on bread not a "hotdog roll". Me and a friend constantly have this battle. She too wants things only on their respective rolls. Am I the only one in the dark and using bread? Is it rude to not have rolls and offer bread? Is it me? :confused: TIA :flowers:

I think most people are just used to having the rolls. It's not rude if you don't have rolls. Obviously, you can eat a hot dog, hamburger, or even some BBQ on bread just as easily as a roll. The only thing is, when you add condiments to the burgers and dogs, the bread sogs up pretty quickly. Same for the sauce in BBQ. That said, if I were hungry and the only option was to eat it on bread, I would!

Oh, and if you would like, I'll bring the rolls this year!! :lol:

cricketmd

I think most people are just used to having the rolls. It's not rude if you don't have rolls. Obviously, you can eat a hot dog, hamburger, or even some BBQ on bread just as easily as a roll. The only thing is, when you add condiments to the burgers and dogs, the bread sogs up pretty quickly. Same for the sauce in BBQ. That said, if I were hungry and the only option was to eat it on bread, I would!

Oh, and if you would like, I'll bring the rolls this year!! :lol:

:lmao: Trust me RiverRat always makes sure to buy them, knowing me and the bread issue. :lmao: She doesnt want me embarassed, I didnt think it was a big deal - its 40 years and I don't buy rolls. Someone has to :killingme: Why do I think that this year, now, I'll have 10 people bring rolls? :lmao: I still havent picked a date yet. I was just sitting here eating BBQ that I won at y'alls Turkey Shoot this winter thinking about it.:buddies:

Last edited:

Problem I have with bread and burgers is the bread gets soggy and falls apart. With dogs that is the way I usually do it. BBQ, who needs bread? lol. I usually do rolls though. One guy household (2 sometimes) and the rolls just get bad or I have to stick in the freezer where they seem to shrink.

lovinmaryland

Its definitely not rude. If thats what you use thats what they get! You get what you get and you dont throw a fit, is what I tell my kids. :yay:

I prefer buns though :lol:

cricketmd

Problem I have with bread and burgers is the bread gets soggy and falls apart. With dogs that is the way I usually do it. BBQ, who needs bread? lol. I usually do rolls though. One guy household (2 sometimes) and the rolls just get bad or I have to stick in the freezer where they seem to shrink.

Same here, I live alone and the rolls and buns just go stale. About condiments what about when you make a sandwhich... you still put on condiments, now I'm starting to wonder what bread's purpose is, if its not for sandwhich like food. :crazy: :lol:

Same here, I live alone and the rolls and buns just go stale. About condiments what about when you make a sandwhich... you still put on condiments, now I'm starting to wonder what bread's purpose is, if its not for sandwhich like food. :crazy: :lol:

Nah, its the grease in the burgers that makes me want to use thicker something, like buns. Soaks the grease up. I guess if you had really lean burgers, but those don't taste as good or kill you as fast. :lol:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
When I'm at home I will use bread. If we're having guests-it's rolls or if I'm buying a burger or dog out, I'd expect a roll with it......

When I'm at home I will use bread. If we're having guests-it's rolls or if I'm buying a burger or dog out, I'd expect a roll with it......

First time we got to Japan we saw there was a MC Donalds. We rushed the place and they seved their burgers on white bread! Still better than ship food of course.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Rolls, no bread.

And only potato rolls

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think if you're opening your home to people and feeding them, they shouldn't complain about anything you serve. If they feel compelled to make you feel bad about a bun, for ####'s sake, that should be the last time they're invited.

SamSpade

I think if you're opening your home to people and feeding them, they shouldn't complain about anything you serve. If they feel compelled to make you feel bad about a bun, for ####'s sake, that should be the last time they're invited.

Hear, hear!

I only wish family always felt this way. I know at times in the past, I've had family members expect that, as guests, they were entitled to as much hospitality as they wanted, including baggage to curb service. I had one sibling remind me once that the bags were "still out in the car".

Vince

Low carb diet. Haven't had a piece of bread in months. Getting to where I don't miss it or potatoes. (except FF's) I have to have French Fries or onion rings once in awhile. :banghead: Ruddy Duck onion rings. :yum: Sorry, I lost my mind for a minute, now I'm back.
As for serving bread, buns, rolls, etc. if they don't like what I put out to eat when someone comes to my house, they can bring it themselves or don't come. :shrug: So far I've been successful in what I've prepared for folks.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I think it is a matter of personal preference, but most people I know eat BBQ, hotdogs and burgers on a roll because of the sog factor and that's probably why most places serve them that way. If I were entertaining, I would offer rolls, no matter what my own personal preference is, for the above-mentioned reasons. I myself usually skip the bread for BBQ and savor the meat on its own. :drool: